Author Topic: Whoa! Went to buy dog food...  (Read 5107 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Whoa! Went to buy dog food...
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:14:27 pm »
The price of Merrick food went up $13 a bag (for the 30 lb size)!!! I still have some left and started to do some price comparison shopping...so far it seems like Canidae is the least expensive high quality food, so we'll probably be doing the ol' switcheroo...a gain.  ::) 
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Whoa! Went to buy dog food...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:48:35 pm »
I expected some price increase, but a $13 jump seemed extreme. 30% sure sounds crazy, too.  :o
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:19:13 pm »
I'm floored every time I go to the store. 'People Store' that is. But most of what I buy is for the Puppers. The 25% to 30% seems to be the average. I'm sure the bulk meat & poultry for the dogs is going to be way up next time too. Horse feed is for sure.

Gas prices have effected all other costs. But with the flooding we can expect even more increases. I still won't cut back for the Pups. But I give second and third thoughts to what I do for myself. That's not too difficult for me. It's only me and I'm home. But for families and working people ~ OUCH!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:25:38 pm »
I went to get the girls some food yesterday and the kind that I buy had orange dots on the prices and there wasn't much left.  When I asked what it meant they said they weren't going to be carrying it anymore.  They will still carry Eagle Pack, just not that type....so now I have to decide what to feed next!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:06:29 am »
I hadn't heard that stores were not going to be carrying certain brands.  I just bought the innova and evo bags for my 2 and the kennel didn't say anything about not carrying it anymore.  I will check and see because I don't want to have to change Shiner from innova.  Now I just have to find someone that carries the Canidae ALS cans for them.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience