Author Topic: Burned pads/peeling pads  (Read 7129 times)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Burned pads/peeling pads
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:38:31 am »
I just spoke with my vet about this, and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem: Last week, I took Sammy for a short walk on a day that was very hot, and I guess we spent too much time on the hot pavement, because the next day, he wouldn't walk and his pads felt warm to the touch. He recovered within a couple days, but just now I noticed that on both front paws, a couple of his pads have dime-sized grey patches that seem to be dead skin. The patches are peeling off (a pretty thick chunk of skin peeling off), and you can see the very pink skin underneath, I can't imagine it is comfortable for him. The vet said it sounds like those patches were burned, and are now dead and peeling off. Her opinion was that there isn't much to do- keep him on the softer surfaces and wait for the callouses to peel off, and then treat the new skin underneath with neosporin. Have any of you had something like this happen, or any additional advice for me?

Thanks so much!!

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Burned pads/peeling pads
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:29:41 pm »
Thanks, that's good to hear. I hope these will heal quick- the skin is peeling off pretty deep, so it might take a little while, but it sounds like I'm on the right track with taking care of it.

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Burned pads/peeling pads
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 01:49:59 pm »
Another soothing balm to put on is good old fashioned "Udder Balm" ... works wonders on cows, pups, people, etc ... I don't know what's in it, but it's pure magic!!!
Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male