Author Topic: Rosco needs the power of BPO  (Read 10914 times)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Rosco needs the power of BPO
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:55 am »
Hi everyone.  I need your thoughts and prayers for our little dude Rosco.  Yesterday he was very lethargic and didn't eat his food and on top of all of that he was vomiting.  Since he had only vomited a total of 3 times we pretty much only watched him and held back food and water only offering water every 30 minutes.  He didn't have any bowel movements either all day that Aeryk or I know of.  Well around 2 am Aeryk woke up to check on him and that is when we raced him to the emergency vet hospital.  He found a puddle of blood and we couldn't tell if it was vomit or feces.  Either way it was not good.  The vet told us her the possibilities she thought based on the info given and that it could have been poison or a blockage or some sort of bacterial issue.   So the possibility of poison was ruled out as well as a blockage THANK YOU JESUS but he isn's out of the woods yet.  I just called and they said he is very comfortable and giving kisses now and is enjoying the pain medicine.  They now believe that it's a gastric issue and they will offer food to him at 5pm tonight assuming he doesn't vomit between now and then.  I will keep you all informed. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Rosco needs the power of BPO
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:22:02 am »
Sending Quick healing thoughts Rosco's way...here's to a speedy recovery!
Big hugs and kisses!

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:46:49 am »
he's got my thoughts!  sounds like he's in good hands
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:54:49 am »
Many good thoughts and many Prayers going out to Rosco. Stay strong Little Man.  Be well. :-*  :-*  :-*

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:58:12 am »
Hang in there Rosco! Sending you tons of healing vibes :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

AudgePadge

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:11:01 pm »
Sending Much Love from one Roscoe to the other :)

<3

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:42:18 pm »
Oh my gosh, that sounds so scary! We will be crossing our fingers and paws that he's ok and has a speedy recovery!  :-*
RIP former BPO

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:26:14 pm »
Oh Rosco I hope you are on the mend!!  We will be thinking about you!!  Let us know how you are doing OK?

Randy & Harley

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 09:46:17 pm »
We're sending you good vibes!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:52:26 am »
Any news on Rosco?

I hope he's doing ok.

Sending great big healing vibes. :-* :-* :-*
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:50:08 pm »
Hi everyone.  I'm so sorry for not being able to get back and update you all on Rosco.  So the saying "when it rains it pours" seems to be an understatement for us.  First and foremost, thank you all sooooooooooooo ooooooooo much for your healing vibes and prayers and well wishes as I knew they would help they certainly have.  Rosco (though he's not at all 100%) is home and on the mend.  He spent close to 36 hours at the emergency vet filling up on fluids and antibiotics as well as pain management meds to ease the discomfort.  The diagnosis was HGE and the explanation I was given for that diagnosis was he pretty much had a gnarly stomach ache.  Though as simple as that sounds it certainly was not.  He was very dehydrated and needed help so I'm super glad we took him in. 

Now that the little guy is home being lavished with tons of love, brown rice and boiled chicken and plenty of medicine to boot, I have finally come down with my own ailment.  Yep, a severe sinus infection has taken over and that would be why I haven't been able to make it here to apprise you all on little Ross.  Oh well that and then Tonka managed to not be out done (especially by a 'small' dog) he too sufficiently freaked us out by vomiting and making sure that there would be blood in the vomit as well.  So, off to the vet we go.  Okay the reason I'm not as worried is because he is not lethargic, nor does he lack any appetite and hasn't vomited since.  BUT, he is also on a brown rice chicken and meds as well and I am happy to report Tonka is completely fine. 

The vet does not seem to believe there is any similarity as Rosco's symptoms were way more severe and Tonka might have just needed to hurl something icky out of his belly and the retching is more than likely the cause of the blood. All the stress from the retching causes blood vessels to  burst which is why we saw the blood.   It makes sense as there wasn't much but a streak or two but either way, we were not going to take this incident lightly as it is all very scary.  So both of my boys have plenty of medicine and love and attention and of course  plenty of brown rice and chicken.  Minus the medicines I think they are pretty lucky dogs......  But I know in my heart that Im so much more lucky for having them with me.  Thank you so much BPO'ers for all your kind words and thoughts as they help more than you can imagine. 

Now, how is this for a happy ending?  For the first time since Saturday, Rosco has just eagerly begged for and finished his first bowl of food without any hand feeding or coaxing in any way.  HAPPY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you all again and again and again.  You all really are the best.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

ps.
I have pictures of Rosco when I went to visit him at the hospital and I'll post those as soon as I download them.
Misty slave to:
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:11:11 am »
Yay Rosco!!! I am so glad that he is feeling better and on the mend! Naughty Tonka for scaring mommy but at least EVERYONE is on the med! Thanks for the updates!!!

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:02 am »
Good news!  It's scary how quickly they become dehydrated...I'm glad Rosco's feeling better
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:43:22 am by DaPeach »
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 12:55:06 pm »
Okay here are some pretty sad shots of my little dude when I went to visit him while he was in the hospital.  So sad...  Oh, and the first shot is actually a picture I took when he was at home Sunday and that is the face that told me something was very wrong.  I took it in case I need a reference in the future.  I know I tend to get paranoid and well, maybe that will prevent me from overreacting.  Though is there such a thing when I comes to your pet's health???  Again, and again, you guys are the best.  Thank you.
Misty slave to:

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 08:44:55 am »
Awwww. Poor Baby.

I hope he's feeling even better now that he's been home for a few days. :-*
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees