Author Topic: Swimming and boating with a Newf  (Read 6298 times)

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
Swimming and boating with a Newf
« on: June 25, 2008, 03:30:17 pm »
Hello all...I will be getting two 12 week old Newf puppies in about 3 weeks.  A brother (Koda) and sister (Kira).  I live in a lake front property and we spend some of our hot summer days swimming and boating in the lake.  Are we going to have any issues with the Newfs trying to resuce us while we are swimming?  Also has anyone had any experience with the various doggy swim ladders or ramps that you can attach to your boat or dock?  Not sure if these would work with such a large breed.

Another question unrelated to water...How important is it to avoid stairs?  We have about 6 stairs going out the back of our house were I would prefer to take them  to do their business and 3 going out our front.

I also want to say this is a great website...I have been lurking here for a couple of days now and have learned so much...the pictures and stories are great too!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Swimming and boating with a Newf
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:01:39 am »
Hi,

Work slowly with the steps don't force the pup's they'll take to them at their own pace. They will try to rescue but just train them to do what you want and they will Newf's learn quick and live to please their people!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:52:00 am »
I dont have a newf - but I have fostered two in the past. With a pool in the backyard and 2 smal children - it was interesting. The first foster would jump off hte side into the pool anytime my kids were in it. He would get as close to them as he could and try to push them to the side. The second newf just watched them. He never jumpeded in. As for the ladders... obviously in the pool they would walk out the steps. At the lake, we have lots of large stones near the shore that form a ramp so to speak and they come out that way. The stairs question... as both my guys came in atleast 2 years old - it was interesting to see he unbelievable fear that they had of stairs. So I would suggest that even if you decide to not have them do stairs, you will want to train them to know how to walk up and down them. Later in life, they may visit a house with stairs and trying to get a newf up steps they dont want to go up is quite the endeaver! Good luck with your babies!!!!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:08:10 am »
That's good to hear they dont tend to be pushy about wanting to rescue you if you are swimming. I figure they probably can sense if someone is in real trouble.

Unfortunately our boat does not have a swim deck.  I am going to look into a product that may solve my concern with the stairs and the ability for the dogs to get in and out of our boat. It is called PetStep Pet Ramp. Not quite sure it is long enough to span the 6 stairs in the back though.  You can get an attachment that allows you to use it as a floating ramp in the lake.  Anyone seen one of these?  Our back steps are pretty wide so I might just make a ramp on one side.

That picture above is of Kira.  We were originally only going to get Koda but on a return visit to the breeder to see Koda last weekend the wife and kids fell in love with Kira.  We were debating about getting two dogs anyway.  While I think having two dogs is the right choice I hope we haven't bit off more than we can chew with 2 big puppies at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:12:55 am by KC_Newf »

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:56:21 pm »
Hi! Welcome to BPO!  I am Stephanie mom to Sierra the Newf.  That picture of Kira is so absolutely adorable!  I can't wait to see more.

I wouldn't worry about the stairs.  I'd just keep any eye that they don't try to take them too quickly and tumble down them,  but I'm an overproetectiv e mom.  We have one step down from our front stoop and I used to carry Sierra down it.   ;D

As for the swimming, I can't keep Sierra out of water in the summer.  Whether it's lake, pond, puddle or water dish, if it's water Sierra is trying to fit her big oafy self into it.  I think it's really going to depend on how strong their instinct is.  I have just started training Sierra for her water dog titles and she apparently has a very strong instinct.  Whenever we were out together, she turns and tries to swim into me forcing me to move.  I took it as her panicking, until a trainer from the Newf club told me she wasn't scared she was trying to save me.  She told me to go out in the water with Sierra on a lead to where I could still walk but the dog had to swim and just walk back and forth gradually getting deeper to show the dog that you don't always need saving and it's ok to be swimming next to each other.  We're still working on it, but we just started and Sierra is already 15 months old.  Maybe if you start out in the water with Koda and Kira while they are still young they will be accustomed to it and won't think you're drowning every time.

And don't be worried that you have the world's only water hating Newfs if it takes a while for them to go into water.  We brought Sierra home at 10 weeks and at 6 months she still wouldn't go any deeper than her belly.  Until she walked off the deck into the swimming pool, that is...LOL!

Ooh!  I'm so excited to see more pics!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:51:25 pm »
Thanks Stephanie...I obviously dont want them to tumble down the stairs but my worry has more to do with stairs effecting their developing bones especially their hips.  I was correct on the number of steps on the front of the house (3) but I was way off on how many we have in the back (10 not 6), I guess I never paid attention.  The 10 steps rules out the ability to use the PetStep ramp on those but I could still use it on the front.  The problem is I have very little front yard for them to relieve themselves or play so it would be a constant trip around to the back of the house and I'm not sure how well that will work for potty training. I'm really thinking about making the 13' long ramp for the back stairs. The PetStep seems to be the only ramp that can be used for water that is supposed to be able to support a 130+ lb dog.  Not sure about the floatation kit for it though it looks awkward.

I am going to try and get Koda and Kira used to the lake as soon as I feel they are comfortable with their new home and surroundings.  Taking them out on a lead sounds like a good idea.

Here is a picture of Koda.  I wont have more until we pick them up in 3 weeks.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:27:04 pm »
Welcome! Koda and Kira are just too precious for words!  I can't wait to see more pics of them! 

As for the boating...we have a boat too, but this weekend will be the first time that we will have had the opportunity to take the boys (Winston and Champ) on the lake.  While both are good swimmers, I plan on buying them both life jackets.  That way, they can stay in the water longer and still be safe.  The life jackets also have handles on the back, so that will help to lift them out of the water and onto the boat.  I'll let you know how it goes! 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:39:20 pm »
I love the pup! Can't wait until more pics are posted! Koda looks so much like Bear did as a baby.  :)

As for the boating, Bear will never jump off a boat- he just enjoys the ride & the wind blowing in his hair.  :D He is fearful and won't jump off a boat or ramp but is so on guard when we're in the water. He will whine & do a high pitched sound if you get to far away. When we're swimming he is continuously circling to make sure we're ok. He has come out to "save us" a few times but was because we faked drowning.  ;) Theinstinct is there for sure though. At the water trials a few years ago I thought he was going to go nuts! He was pulling and barking so loudly- the instinct is definitely there. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:40:13 pm by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

jesday

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:23:40 pm »
Oh my gosh,too cute!

We got brother and sister Newfs at 4 months old. Hubby foolishly thought I would pick just one.

I had many "experts" tell me we made a big mistake getting litter mates, that they wouldn't bond to us. We were told to separate them as soon as possible, take them on separate walks, socialize them separately, etc. I was panicked at first thinking what had we done.

I tried the separation thing for about a week and decided although their comments were meant to be helpful, they obviously were not familiar with the Newfoundland breed. We have had no trouble with them bonding with us and I am so thankful we have the two to play with each other while I am working from home office.

The only down side, twice the hair, twice the poop patrol.

You will absolutely fall in love with your new babies as they will with their new family.

Welcome

jesday

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »
We are taking our two for their first lake experience this weekend. They like to get their feet wet, but don't know about the whole immersion thing. They are 10 months old now, so hoping we don't have too much time to make up for. 8)

When we got our pups it was the dead of winter with 3+ feet of snow. We thought the bounding and tromping around in it was relatively low impact because it was very soft fluffy stuff. Syrus did develop a limp with his right shoulder. We ran through all the various growth problems with out vet and followed up with many x-rays and finger crossings that we hadn't caused any serious long-term damage.

After about 2 months of watching and various medications, his issue resolved itself with the final diagnosis being tendonitis in his shoulder. Probably caused by all the snow bounding. :-[ 8)

So, I guess my point is you are probably wise to get some kind of ramp for your stairs at least until much of their growth has occurred. They're just too big for their own good. We bought a collapsible ramp from Petsmart to load them into our car. It extends about 5'. Don't know if that is long enough for your stairs.

More pics are expected. :D

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 08:55:18 pm »
IndyFurKiddos. ...Let me know how the first outing on the lake with the dogs go.  The doggie life jacket is a good idea but not sure about trying to lift a 100+ pound dog out of the water by its handle when they are grown up.  It would definately be an option while they are still young pups.

jabear...That is great that Bear has the water rescue instinct.  I really hope mine will since I have two kids it would be nice to know they have some extra eyes watching out for them.  When you did your fake drowning did you ever let him take you back in to shore?  It's good to hear Koda looks a lot like Bear as a pup...he is a handsome boy.

El'skids...We were only going to get one and then my wife started wondering if we should have two.  Almost everyone we know with dogs has two and they recommend having two.  After we picked out Kira and my wife told some of her friends we picked out a second Newf pup they said two dogs is great but two puppies at the same time is crazy.  Needless to say my wife is a little nervous about it now but I think it will be fine.  It is good to hear that your dogs still bonded well with the family I was a little concerned about that myself.  I think you forgot twice the drool as a downside unless you view that as a plus  ;D  Let us know how their first lake experience goes.  I went ahead and purchased the PetStep which I will use on the front steps and our seawall.  I am still debating on getting the floatation kit for it but if the PetStep works well for the steps and seawall I will probably end up ordering it for the boat and dock use.