Author Topic: Oh no! Tipper ate the cat food!  (Read 5141 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Oh no! Tipper ate the cat food!
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:44:20 am »
And Tipper didn't eat just a little bit either, he got into the cats' EVO and ate about 1/4 of a large bag. Needless to say, he is not feeling so good today. He is completely bloated and on our walk this morning he had diarreha 3 times and threw up twice. I have given him some Pepto and a little yogurt this morning, but he didn't really eat much. Is there anything else I can do for him while he tries to digest all this?  :P
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no! Tipper ate the cat food!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:59:56 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, I just gave him some gas drops, he's been drinking up a storm, and has had more blowouts and vomiting. Not so much fun.  :P
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:51 pm »
Thanks. I am definitely keeping a close eye on him--he's a big drinker anyway, and he's still drinking, but I will be monitoring him for sure.
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:01:43 pm »
Wow, I had no idea eating a high quality cat food could be a medical emergency.  Anyone have any info I can read up on?  I don't see a big enough difference between the evo cat and dog food that could cause a concern especially in regards to sodium.  Would like to know more....

Hope Tipper is feeling better.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:07:36 pm »
Well, my guys (minus Tonka) actually enjoy the cat food a whole bunch.  ESPECIALLY out of the litter box... I swear it's like nasty little tootsie turd treats for them.  YUCK!!!! 

My vet explained that cat food is just very rich is salt and fats which is why the pups like it so much.  Apparently cats can metabolize their food much faster than dogs.  I guess that's why they nap so much huh? 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:49:37 pm »
Because the protein level is so very high in cat food this makes it a big doggie no-no. Pancreatitis is a possible side effect of eating cat food or 'kitty crunchies' from the litter box. To be on the safe side, watch for vomiting, lethargy, abdominal pain over the next several days.
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"