Author Topic: New Goats for Green Great Pyrenees  (Read 5961 times)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
New Goats for Green Great Pyrenees
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:35:02 am »
We decided to get pygmy goats. We have two Great Pyrenees ages 6 months and 11 months.

Neither has been around goats. Is the goat protecting innate? I know it would have been good to been around their parents, who are goat dogs to learn...but I'm hoping they will adapt easily.

When my children are outside the prys won't leave them so I assume they will protect the goats. When the neighbors cow got out my older Pry ran him back into the pasture. When our horse got out she attempted to help me catch him.

Any advise? Thanks,
Robin
Robin

marypyrs

Re: New Goats for Green Great Pyrenees
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 01:45:09 pm »
Pygmy Goats are wonderful little creatures. If I remember correctly you have mini horses as well. ? They are great companions for each other. My Arabs & Saddlebreds loved my little Allie 'PG'.

I think you have rather a full plate right now ~ what with the neighbor and such. Your Pyrs are having enough to deal with so don't attempt to push them into goat care right off. Keep the little Pygmy's in a well gated and safe place and let your Pyrs get used to them gradually. Nothing is innate, specifically.

First step is getting the proper fencing up for safety. You also do not want your Pyrs to be chasing the neighbor's cow even though it was back into their pasture.

I can't stress enough how important it is to go though obediance training. Beginners to advanced. Good dogs come from their good guardians. The way we live so close to one another now days - even though we live in the 'country' - it is not how it used to be. Ten or twenty acres are like living on top of one another now days.

I would love to see pictures of your little goats. I miss my Allie each and every day. And I'm still looking to find another.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: New Goats for Green Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:32:45 pm »
My mom has two nigerian dwarf/pygmy goat mixes and a fainting goat and when i'm there we let miles in their pen and he loves to chase them and eat goat poop. Hahaha He is by no means a "livestock guardian" for them, but he of course has potential with lots of training. I'm sure your pyrs do too. I think the key would be to introduce slowly, and as early as possible.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees