Author Topic: Crazy Neighbor Shoots at our Great Pyrenees  (Read 9522 times)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
Crazy Neighbor Shoots at our Great Pyrenees
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:49:11 am »
 I didn't think to share this here until now.

A month ago our 2 Prys got into the neighbors pond. We never had trouble with them getting out of the yard until recently (hot fence is broke). The neighbor got mad and started shooting at our dogs with a pistol.

We have 20 acres the neighbor has 10 our houses are a few acres apart.

I was at church but my husband saw it. After church dh and I discussed it and decided the best course of action would be to talk. So I went over and gave the guy our phone number and said please call us if our dogs bother you. We never met him before this. He was civil and agreed. All was quiet until last week end.

My children and hubby were in the pool and both dogs were tied in our yard but barking becasue the neighbor had company in his pool. Out of the blue we heard screaming "Shut those *%$#@ dogs up and shots fired.

Dh and I decided we needed to report him to the police. I went to get the phone and by the time I got got back the guy drove up on a motorcycle in our drive way screaming and yelling to shut our dogs up he can't enjoy 5 minutes. I believe he was drunk. It was 11 am. He was so wild I called 911.

If he would have called I would have taken the dogs in the house.

He was gone by the time police arrived. We had a trespass warning issued (so he can't return). BUT the police said he could shoot and we couldn't do anything about it. He told the poice he was shooting into the ground. We didn't see it this time but the first time he was shooting into our yard.

Once the police left he marched up and down the fence line with a rifle shooting every few minutes.

We have been in fear since just hoping nothing set him off again. What if a bullet goes into my window and shots my children? My boys are literally crawling past the windows and now watch TV in another room of the house becasue our family room faces this guys house. We only swim or go outside when he isn't at home.

Funds are not available for an attorney at this time.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Robin

Robin

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Neighbor Shoots at our Great Pyrenees
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:57:35 am »
Get a camcorder and record him. My brother is a cop, you need to document his activity so they know you are not over reacting. Have your friends who were over at the time file complaints. Some cops are complacant with domestic calls (its not right but true)If you can prove he is a threat it can go a long way. A picture is worth a thousand words. Try not making it seem "all about the dogs", he obviously has issues even when they are not outside. No one has to live in fear of being shot. Tell them you are in fear for YOUR lives.

Also be very careful with your dogs. Believe it or not he has the right to do anything he wants to if they are in his yard. Be extremely careful.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 11:07:22 am »
Thanks, I put a tripod with camcorder on my porch that day and he quite marching back and forth. I keep it there for a deterrent. I got the idea becasue cops use video recorder during riots for later persecution.

My dogs are now tied up until we finish a new fence.

Thanks,
Robin
Robin

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:27:05 pm »
Robin, please don't leave your Pyrs tied unless only for a very short period of time and only if you are out there with them. It's not only dangerous for them, but they can become extremely territorial.

Until you can put up a visible and well structured fence, it is best to keep them in the house and walk them on leads for exercise and potty breaks.

I'm sorry you're going through such an unsettling experience with that nasty neighbor. Perhaps you could have a consultation with a qualified Attorney. They usually do not charge for the initial meeting and you could get some insight as to what you, as the home/property owner, have as rights. Then if you have to take actions against this "Wacko" you know where you stand.

I know how much you love your Pups. And I know how stressful this must be.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:07:23 pm by marypyrs »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 05:22:29 pm »
I believe it's illegal to shoot a gun in the air unneccessarily . At least, it is in Louisiana. The bullet has to come down somewhere and can unintentionall y wound or kill someone. This happens every New Year's in New Orleans - I guess it's Cajun Fireworks - and they always make a big deal out of it on the news.

Ask your local law enforcement about this. This guy sounds very unstable to me.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 07:36:46 pm »
Let me start with I am a gun owner, and finish with it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 500' of another person's dwelling unless doing so for self defence in all of New England. The only state I don't know for fact is Maine, but I would assume it is this way just about everywhere with all the antigun laws now.

Be very careful, anyone shooting in such a reckless manner is very dangerous and unfortunatly I think your two boys are probable wise to be as afraid as they are.

Please don't tie your dogs out it makes them a very easy target, try to make a solid fence either livestock mesh or chainlink setback along your property line or if you can afford it a privacy type fence.
Finally I don't know what the police situation is in your area but if you are affraid of this guy and I think you should be, consider going to the next level. For us it would be the state police, even try talking to the local chief, just be sure it is documented.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:39:19 pm »
Yikes! This guy makes my (dog ignorant) neighbors look like nice, old, wise men. I can't imagine this happening here without the cops and news going nuts. I know people shoot in the air at New Year's sometimes, which is dangerous, but this is aggressive and could escalate easily with his temper. Have you called the news? Is that an option?

I hope this is resolved soon. I hope the guy moves! I agree with the others: Document his behavior. And I think I'd take the dogs off the tie-outs and bring them inside for their own safety or construct a good fence.

Take care.

Offline truckerdave

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 05:08:15 am »
Sounds like your neigbor has a meth lab in his basement or something. No kidding, that's what that behavior sounds like. There's a lot of crazy people out there.

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 06:49:48 am »
Thanks for the replies.

The dogs stay in the house mostly or tied outside on a runner on the side of our house (ie. the neighbor can't see or get to them)

I'm having the new mesh fence put up this week. It breaks my heart to tie them. But we're with them most of the day.

We live in the country. TN law says you can shoot on your property as long as safe (I'm trying to get video of him pointing the gun to us) and isn't late at niught to distrub property.

I have made a police report--I like your idea of contacting police cheif. I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 06:53:45 am by heartofwisdom »
Robin

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 03:48:21 pm »
OMG!!! I cant believe this!!! That kind of stuff only happens in the movies...Deliv erence anyone?!  I am so sorry.  The home is supposed to be one of the only places one should feel safe.  Your home doesnt feel safe right now.  If not there, then where?!  My thoughts are with you and your family.  Take care.

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 07:48:28 am »
The video camera is a must. The privacy fence is a must. I also agree that perhaps the state police is a good choice as well. I'd would call them and ask them what are your rights and what you should do that way it is on a state level record. I don't have a lot of trust in local country cops. Too many bad experiences with them. Yes I do own a gun, yes I have dealt with wackos and believe me you must be very careful. I also agree that there must be some sort of drugs involved. Most drunks won't go to that level. I used to have a pyr and he just loved to bark so I don't know how you can keep them quiet all the time. I really feel bad for you and your family...that must be so ruff on your kids. By all means stay away from this guy and if he shows up at your door call 911!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 08:25:39 am »
Oh my goodness Robin.  I don't know what to say.  We've all dealt with our share of crazy neighbors but I think yours definately takes the crazy cake.

I'm worried about your families safety, and I thank goodness that I live in a country that doesn't really allow your average Joe Lunatic to even own a gun, let alone shoot one off anywhere but a firing range or while hunting.  I don't really have anything original to offer, everyones advise has been very good, and since I know nothing of American law it would be foolish of me to even open my mouth.

I just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you, and I'm hoping you can get this freak out of your lives and away from your family SOON.

Big hugs to you and your entire family.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!