Author Topic: Jenny and trauma based anxiety  (Read 4863 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Jenny and trauma based anxiety
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:30:19 pm »
We had another horrible night with Jenny and storms. We tried the new prescription, ace, with her, but it didn't help at all. She was still out of her mind hysterical and this morning still seemed drugged--so I know it was enough of a dose to have helped. I talked further with my vet about it and after explaining everything in detail, she concluded that Jenny doesn't actually have thunderstorm phobia--because she is fine with storms in the daytime, but that instead she thinks that Jenny must have experienced some kind of trauma at night during a storm and that she is having more of a trauma based reaction. So now, the vet has prescribed Jenny Xanax to deal with her anxiety. I am so hoping this will help her--it's just terrible to watch her in such a panicked and terrified state. I'll keep you all updated...than ks for listening...ag ain. 
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Jenny and trauma based anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 11:48:08 pm »
Oh dear, poor Jenny (and her tired mommy, too  :().  It's so hard to work through these things.  I hope that the Xanax works well for her.  Her reaction to the previous med sounds a bit like how Daisy reacted.  Daisy was just as scared looking, panting hard, etc. as she was w/o the med but it was as if she just wasn't able to move around as much, and that may have frightened her even more actually.  Daisy finally fell asleep after hours of looking terrified and then she slept so soundly for so long that we were pretty worried.  I hope that the Xanax actually helps Jenny feel less anxious and doesn't just sedate her motor abilities while still leaving her in a panic.  It's good that both you and her vet are working closely on this.  Jenny is lucky to have you.   ;)  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:20:25 pm »
Jennifer, how's it going?  I hope that the Xanax is giving Jenny some relief?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:38:26 pm »
We haven't had any rain at night since I got the prescription, so I'm still waiting for the opportunity to see if it will help her. Otherwise, she is the perfectly mellow, happy, and loving dog that she is. Thanks so much for asking...your concern is deeply appreciated. It's so nice to have folks on BPO that understand how we feel about our dogs!  :)

As soon as it rains at night, I'll let you know how the Xanax works.   
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven