Author Topic: fireworks and cat nip?  (Read 6067 times)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
fireworks and cat nip?
« on: June 28, 2008, 07:55:50 pm »
does cat nip really calm dogs down?? we have fireworks RIGHT behind us and peyton is freaking. i am about to run to walmart. am i right???
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: fireworks and cat nip?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:39:35 pm »
am i nuts? or can does it really chill her out? please.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 08:42:10 pm »
I have never heard of catnip calming dogs.

One thing that they might have at walmart, and will most likely have at a health food store if you have one nearby  is dr. bach's rescue remedy http://www.rescueremedy.com/ - you will find it will the human supplements (it is mostly marketed towards people but also helps with dogs). I would also buy a nice big bone to distract him  ;)
RIP former BPO

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 04:50:08 pm »
oh it was horrible last night. i never heard her in so much agony (and our ears) but mostly her. it was so pitiful. we got calming moments for the time being. it helped alittle but those m80's SUCK!!! she was just crying and crying. ya know that oh wo wo wo wo high pitched cry. poor peyton. and i tried bones, kongs with peanut butter and even frozen chicken broths in kongs. nothing. well, something, thru tongues sticking in and out we would hear her cry. SO pitiful i tell ya. but thank you. i will look into that one!

marypyrs

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:08:28 am »
Oh - I'd forgotten all about the Valerian. (Smells to high heaven but the pups would probably 'like' that:-)

Great thought!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:22 pm »
I'm off to look up Valerian now, too.  My poor pups were all shaking, pacing & whining Saturday night b/c someone was shooting off fireworks.  Ugh, it's a real problem around here this time of year.  Poor babies.....
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:52:07 pm »
I've never heard of valerian used for dogs. I guess it makes sense though - it would make them too sleepy to panick I guess.

I have had it myself - I know that one of the things that they reccomend for people who have trouble sleeping is valerian. Straight valerian is deffinately stinky - I used to call it "dirty sock tea" cause that's what it smelled like  ;) But for human consumption sleepy time extra w/ valerian doesn't smell too bad because the yummy smell of sleepytime balances out the stinkiness of the valerian
RIP former BPO

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:23 am »
One thing about valerian - as with all drugs, herbal or otherwise - is to NOT give it in combination with other medications for anxiety . Always err on the side of caution when treating a disorder of any type.

I've taken it myself when I was going through a difficult time. But with nothing else.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:35:08 am by marypyrs »