Author Topic: Newf lifeguard for hire  (Read 6368 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Newf lifeguard for hire
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:41:11 pm »
Rosie's had a string of bad luck over the last couple years. She tore her ACL last year, requiring TPLO surgery on her back right leg. Then they found that she has a dislocating kneecap on the same leg just a few months ago, which now also requires surgery to correct. And on the day they were supposed to do that surgery, they found her TPLO bone plate on that leg had gotten infected and needed to be removed, so they did so. And then after they'd removed the bone plate, she started to show lameness on the opposite leg which was later diagnosed as a temporary cartilagenous embolism in her spine. Her lameness on the leg has gone away, but she still remains on antibiotics now to ensure that infection on her TPLO leg is completely treated.

Anyway, with the long streak of bad luck, sometimes we feel that Rosie feels less like a dog... especially with having to be contained indoors and not being able to go on her normal walks. So we've started bringing her to the lake for some 'water therapy', which is both good for her legs and her spirits. She loves saving the buoy and at least she can feel 'normal' for a while. She still has the surgery to correct her dislocating kneecap ahead of her, but until then, we'll be taking a few trips to the lake.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Newf lifeguard for hire
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 07:49:21 pm »
Poor Rosie!  I had a Boston Terrier that had a luxating patella and had to have the knee surgery.  She healed up just fine.  I hope Rosie feels better really soon.  She looks so happy saving the bouy in the picture.  Big hugs to both you and her.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:37:25 am »
Awww poor Rosie!  At least she looks like shes having fun at the lake.  Poor mom too.  I know you guys are going through alot.  Just hang in there...it has to get better!  Give Rosie a big hug from us.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:56:58 am »
I'd take her up on her life saving skills any day.   :) Good for you for taking your baby to a place she loves where she can get an extended low-impact exercise. She looks beautiful in the water too!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:42:22 am »
What a cute picture of Ms. Rosie!!  I'm so sorry to hear about the complications with the TPLO>  Ick!!  Poor thing!!!  I've constantly got my eyes on Fumble's right knee, waiting for it any minute to go, just like it's neighbor the left!   

What a cutie though!  We're hire her to rescue us any day!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:58:39 am »
I might have to hire her. Clifford has no interest in rescueing me at all even when I pretend like I'm drowning.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:23 am »
On our last trip to the lake, we went with some friends of ours who have two labrador retrievers. One was quite the frisbee fetcher in the water. When Rosie saw one of the labs in the lake fetching the frisbee, she immediately sprung to action, paddling the fastest we've ever seen before toward the lab. When she caught up to him, she was trying to grab onto his neck to bring him to shore. It was the funniest thing EVER! The black lab was probably thinking 'Leave me alone. I know how to swim. I don't need saving!'. After Rosie attempted to 'save' him a couple more times, she finally figured out he didn't need her help. She seemed disappointed.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:43:47 pm »
Go Rosie  ;D
Wishing her well, at least she is having some fun.
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos