Author Topic: Oh Geez.. Do I really need another kitty? Updated with new pics!  (Read 22510 times)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Geez.. Do I really need another kitty?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 10:06:29 am »
I absolutely HATE the "on hold" thing. I went through that when I was trying to adopt a puppy. I lost my basset and was trying to adopt another dog and it was like lossing one all over again. If they are going to put one on hold it should be for an hour or two not one or two days! I hate that!

But like they say if it is meant to be. Don't get your hopes up but don't give up either. Fingers crossed for you.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Lyn

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 09:29:11 am »
I have some good news and some not to good news. :-\

Whomever had the 'hold' on him didn't show up and the little guy was being picked on by the other kittens in the store, so the humane society came and picked him up.

I called as soon as I found out and was told that yes they have him and the answering service was going to get someone to call me regarding his adoption. So I'm thinking YAY! BUT noone has called me.  :'( I've called 3 times since and I'm told the same thing.. someone will call me. ::) My patience is wearing thin. :(

But he is still listed on their petfinder page.

Edited to add that I also found out he's 17 weeks old. Can you believe it?.. 17 weeks.. Wow.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 09:32:06 am by Lyn »

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 09:32:07 am »
Odd that they would call the Humane Society instead of calling you and getting him into a permenant home. Wishing you good luck. Ann

Lyn

Re: Oh Geez.. Do I really need another kitty? Update
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 09:33:16 am »
I know I said the same thing.. They misplaced my phone number. >:(

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 11:42:00 am »
That stinks. Can you just go to the humane society and get him? He looked really tiny for 17 weeks, though. I hope he's ok...
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 12:01:16 pm »
Aww he is so cute, I can't wait until you get to pick him up.  :)One of my co-workers has a russian blue and she said he is just like a dog, she said he is the best cat ever. 

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Lyn

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:02 pm »
I'm still haven't heard anything. I'm trying to be patient since I was told the person who normally handles the adoptions is off for a month on holidays.

Ali, he was found tied in a bag with his brothers/sisters. He was the only one alive. :'( They hand raised him. Their vet which is also my vet said his growth is stunted but he may catch up at some point. Other than his size he's healthy and mouthy. LOL

I can't go to the humane society since they don't have a building. They rely on foster homes. They do have an adoption trailer.. which the lady that went on holidays runs. So I have to wait and hope someone calls me.  :(
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:48:36 pm by Lyn »

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 02:41:38 pm »
I had a bugger of a time adopting my Charlie.  Once I saw her face on a local rescue website I had to have her. The foster mom was too busy to return my phone calls, and then when she finally did she was too small to spay still, so I had to wait even longer. Charlie was a small kitty, she was nearly four months old when I adopted her and the size of a several week old kitten.  She was the runt of the liter (bottle fed to boot) and her siblings had all been adopted out months before her.  Took forever for her to get up the required pound mark for spaying.  It was worth the wait though, she is so loving and affectionate.  She does great with the dogs, with the exception of Bo.

I hope that he isn't too stunted.  Charlie isn't a big cat by any means, but given how small she was, it amazes me how much she did manage to grow.  He looks like a real keeper!  Good luck! 
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 06:01:07 pm »
Ah, how FRUSTRATING! This may be a stupid question, but have you mentioned in your messages to the H.S. that the store was supposed to have called you when the other people were a no show, so technically, he really is "yours" - it's just a matter of paperwork... ;) Figures this would have to be over the weekend, just to torment you! Try, if you can, to enjoy your weekend - maybe spend some time thinking of a name for him! It's bound to work out... :)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 05:58:12 am »
See how this "On hold" thing doesn't work. I totally understand what you are going through.

I would also try and recontact the shelter who sent him to the HS and have them try and contact the foster for you. They made the mistake and they may also have other contacts, phones, emails, etc that are not available to the public. Become the biggest pest you can but don't give up!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Lyn

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 09:14:58 am »
I've called multiple times since and I'm just not getting a return call. The only person I'm getting is the answering service and she won't give me any info. I'm getting really frustrated.  :(

According to the pet store he was in their are now 17 people that have inquired about him. None of them have heard anything either. He is still listed on their petfinder page but it's possible they haven't updated it.

No offense to the humane society but it's no wonder people go to backyard breeders or get free kittens off the internet instead of supporting them. I understand they are a small shelter but geez someone can't pick up a phone?

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 11:11:49 am »
That really sucks!

I wouldn't give up on the original shelter who had him "on hold". Surely they have contacts. They need to make the extra effort to make sure he goes to you since you were next in line and they lost your number. Who did they call to have them come pick them up in the first place? Surely that person has contacts.

I would try not to get to upset because you don't want them to avoid you completly, but they need to know the anguish they have put you through and try and compensate you. Go a little extra effort and "pick up the phone" on your behalf.

Good Luck!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Lyn

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 11:31:43 am »
The store owner allowed someone to put the hold on the kitten. I was next in line at the store, they were suppose to call me.. but now that he's back with the humane society I'm probably not next in line since they haven't called me to even fill out the application. :(

It's the same shelter. The pet store takes in some of their kittens to adopt out for them. When he was getting picked by the other kittens in the store the owner called the shelter to take him back.

It's possibly that whoever had the hold on the kitten while he was in the store already contacted the humane society and adopted him since I didn't find out the kitten was there until the next day. Since the person who normally handles the adoptions is on holidays they might not have updated their petfinder page.

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 02:47:33 pm »
Still they owe you the courtesy to let you know one way or the other. Do all adoptions go on hold while this person is on vacation? If so, that is ridiculous!

Sorry for your trouble, I would still hold hope that it works out. If you are getting the run a round, probably everyone else is too. Still nice to know so many people want to give him a good home. Still crossing fingers for you.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Lyn

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 04:09:27 pm »
I still don't know who is handling the adoptions.. There has to be someone that takes over for her. :-\

I emailed through there petfinder page and explaining the situation and that I'd really like to adopt him if he's still there. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.