Author Topic: Question about Potty Training/Feeding 2 Newf pups  (Read 5648 times)

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
Question about Potty Training/Feeding 2 Newf pups
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:50:39 am »
I will have two 12 week old Newfs to potty train.  I was wanting to keep them together in a 4'x6' indoor pen so they could be together at night and when we are gone.  Is this going to make it a lot harder to potty train than if I crate them seperately? Also I am going to have seperate feeding dishes for each.  I bought the adjustable pet diners for them.  Do I need to seperate them while they eat or just encourage each one to use a designated bowl?

jesday

Re: Question about Potty Training/Feeding 2 Newf pups
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »
Don't know all your answers, but this is what we went through this Christmas. Because breeder had outdoor kennels, they got too hot in the house after a bit, so we sectioned off a large part of 3 car garage for them to sleep at night. Constant watching while they were in the house to get them outside the second they assumed the position. Constant clean-up in garage. We have hose there so not too bad. However they figured that was their potty place and sometimes waited until after a walk to potty in the garage! Once we were able to build an outside pen with regular outings they started making it through the night at about 8 months old. Still didn't trust them in the house because of a particular carpet they sneakily would pee upon. Never caught them but would step in later. Unfortunately as recent as yesterday at 10months. We're getting rid of that carpet so maybe more a smell thing than unpotty trained.

One head's up. They poop a lot!! They seem to poop more than they consume. It started slowing down to about twice a day at 7-8 months.

As far as feeding, we started with double feed bowls raised off the ground a bit. Once they got comfortable with new home Syrus started major resource guarding, even attacked Sophie rather viciously once. I was told this is common with litter-mates. Thankfully he never growled at me. I had to separate the bowls but even then Syrus tried to keep her away from both. Sophie is very submissive. Finally had to bring bowls into kitchen away from their 'territory' and stand between them with each on opposite ends of counter. Now they have their spots and I don't have to stand between them anymore. But if I feed them anyplace else, garage, pen,  Syrus reverts back to old tricks. Sophie is sometime reluctant to take large milk bone or vet recommended chewy. But I haven't noticed Syrus bothering her with those. After glancing at him for a bit she finally eats hers.

Your pups may have different personalities and get along just fine eating side by side. Sophie and Syrus do know which is their side and bowl, so maybe if you are consistent  with feeding from same place they'll figure mine's mine and your's is yours.

Sorry this is so long, hopefully our trial and error may avert some for you.

I just can't get enough of their pics. Too cute.

Offline KC_Newf

• Gnawer
  • Kira
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 03:31:28 pm »
Once they get potty trained I am going to gate off a 9' x 10' alcove off of our family room for when they need to be contained.  This is the same area I will have the 4' x 6' pen in while potty training.  The area is tiled so it should be easy cleanup...I was thinking about putting a tarp down on the floor under the pen but I have a feeling it would just get destroyed.  I was also thinking about using training pads in the pen at night and while at work...will this just encourage them to go in the house instead of waiting to go outside?

For feeding I will try feeding both in the same area out of different bowls and see how they do.  If it becomes a problem I will seperate them while eating.

jesday

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:47:11 am »
Quick note on potty pads -  We tried them initially. They loved the new chew toys we set up for them everyday. Wonderful shreddy stuff.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 10:13:22 am »
I don't have Newfs but I have used the training pads for house training a puppy.  Kaila never chewed the pads up and she was pretty consistant about using them when she could actually hit the pad.  She went for awhile standing on the pad and missing it when she pottied.  I just added a couple of pads down to help with logistics.  I think it depends on the puppy and if they will tear the pads up. 

I feed out of separate bowls.  Each dog has their own bowl and I stand there while they eat.  Hope that helps.  Can't wait to see pics of your pups.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Question about Potty Training/Feeding 2 Newf pups
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 08:19:51 pm »
Pottyy training is all about catching them before they want to go and giving them a place they are allowed to do it, if you cannot let them out. We have had both newf pups and adult newf rescue dogs, who have required training. I watch them constantly.... .......Our dogs live inside and are only crated when they are very young. I put them out side as soon as they have eaten anything, even a small snack. And praise them when they do anything outside. When they are inside asleep, I put them outside as soon as I see them get up. I walk out with them all the time initially. Even if they are inside awake and lying with me, I give them a chance outside as soon as they get up. I try to get there before they think of going. It can mean hourly trips outside the first few weeks and it can be very tedious for the anyone :-\
Even at night I see to them when they get up. And walk them out. Our most recent rescue newf of five weeks was kept in an outdoor kennel. She has only had two mistakes and  consider them both my fault due to lack of attention. She is pretty good now. By feeding her her evening meal at about five. And plenty of walks all night before we go to bed. She now sleeps through the night. And has even given me one of her big kisses to let her out a couple of times. We make no real issue over any mistakes and praise lots for the outside jobs :)
Because we take in adult and/or pups dogs with our adult dogs. We are very strict "Alpha" dogs at feeding time. Each has there own bowl and spot within the same room (kitchen). We growl(the terms "enough", "leave it") at any dog that tries to go to another bowl and they have to be supervised initially at all times. And remember you are in charge. We  have even had one of our new dogs on a "check chain" whilst initially social eating with ours. Sothat we do have the control. It is all a bit over the top and tedious at the beginning, but they are all so good now and they can eat together in about three square feet, even though our new newf eats slower and finishes last.  ::)
We do do a lot of dog training with all our dogs. We have found that we can have a pack of dogs and everything is still calm (up to six we have had), because we are in charge and none of the dogs are. We do not hit our dogs and I hate yelling at dogs. We are very firm and if we think we are a little out of control at times, we go back to "on lead", Even a very long lead. That means you have control and don't have to yell, which is so ugly. Our pups start "on lead" as soon as we get them home. When we go out, we keep our dogs in a large six foot high run with a ten by ten foot kennelhouse attached for safe keeping. Sorry this is soooo long. I wish you a lot of fun and happiness with your adorable puppies. ;) 
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos