Author Topic: *update* on Jenny and thunderstorms  (Read 5791 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
*update* on Jenny and thunderstorms
« on: July 03, 2008, 06:00:41 am »
Well, finally, we have found something for Jenny that alleviates her storm-related anxiety! The Xanax helps so much...she wasn't panting, pacing, trying to climb the furniture or get through the door like she was before, with or without the other meds, including Ace. She was actually much more relaxed and wasn't "drugged out" either. I'm just so relieved that there is something that can help her, so she doesn't have to experience every nighttime rain as a panicked, hysterical event. Yeah!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

DenverFurKiddos

Re: *update* on Jenny and thunderstorms
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:38:04 am »
Yay!!!!!!  I'm so happy for Jenny!  And, a big thanks goes out to you, too, for being so understanding and persistent in finding a solution for her!  Way to go!

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:21:17 am »
I am curious about how much you are giving and when in relationship to a storm. 

Thanks - Robyn and Cirra

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:56:21 am »

Yay!!!!!!  I'm so happy for Jenny!  And, a big thanks goes out to you, too, for being so understanding and persistent in finding a solution for her!  Way to go!

Yes!  That's exactly what I was thinking, too.  Jenny is very blessed to have you.  Now I know that you're going to say, that you're blessed to have her (and I'm sure that is true, b/c that's how I feel about my furry babies).  But you know from the reaction that you've gotten from some people (the "she'll be ok, she's just a dog" thing   :(  ::) ) that there are too many dogs out there that just suffer without understanding or treatment.  I'm so glad that Jenny is one of the lucky ones.  Great job, Jennifer and please give the sweet girl a hug from all of us.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:51:11 pm »
I am curious about how much you are giving and when in relationship to a storm. 

Thanks - Robyn and Cirra

Jenny takes (1) 2 mg tab by mouth before a storm or when symptoms start. It does not take long to work--last night I gave it to her at 7:15pm as it was starting to thunder and lightning and Jenny was getting nervous.  Within 15-30 minutes she was much calmer. She didn't try to climb the furniture or break down the door--not even once! She was able to stay close by me and take comfort from being near and we all were able to sleep.

My vet said it will last for about 8 hours. There were no side effects that I could tell--she ate fine, no vomiting, not drugged out, etc. I am so happy for her (and me!) that we found something that gives her some relief. Maybe it would help Cirra as well...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:53:39 pm by pyr4me »
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:02:58 pm »

Yes!  That's exactly what I was thinking, too.  Jenny is very blessed to have you.  Now I know that you're going to say, that you're blessed to have her (and I'm sure that is true, b/c that's how I feel about my furry babies).  But you know from the reaction that you've gotten from some people (the "she'll be ok, she's just a dog" thing   :(  ::) ) that there are too many dogs out there that just suffer without understanding or treatment.  I'm so glad that Jenny is one of the lucky ones.  Great job, Jennifer and please give the sweet girl a hug from all of us.   :-*

Thank you both for your kind and supportive words. I was starting to get the "she's just a dog" comments and I felt a little crazy at times, but luckily, I have both BPO and a really great vet who was willing to work with me and Jenny to find something that would actually help her.

Marie, you are right, I would say that both Jenny and I are pretty blessed with each other. Thanks again.  :-*
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven