Author Topic: Newfoundland collapses  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Chewy

  • Gnawer
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Newfoundland collapses
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:13:29 am »
Late last night, My husband and I brought our Newfoundland in for the night.  Once the dog got onto the porch he fell down.  It appeares he had a seizure.  The seizure lasted for what seemed like an eternity.  The dog stopped breathing and swallowed his tongue and his muscels were tense.  We pulled out his tongue which was tense and hard to move, then  we tried breathing into his nose but it acted like it was blocked, letting in no air.  We reached down his throat to see if there was blockage.  We could feel something, but could not remove it.  We didnt want to do any damage to the dog. My husband explains the feeling in the dogs throat as though something was collapsed.  He could not remove the thing in the dogs throat, but he said he twisted it.  A few seconds later we heard gergling and the dog came to.  This was a very scary moment for us.  I am not sure if anyone else has had this happen before or if it sounds like the characteristic s of a seizure or heart condition.  I have been doing some research on this, but if anyone has any advice, please let us know.
Thanks,
Chewy (the newfoundland), Don and Shelly

Offline TINKSMOM

  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • **
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
Re: Newfoundland collapses
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:39:01 am »
Sorry to hear that, I would also take him to the vet as soon as possible.

My friend has a German Shephard and she ate mulch that was being delivered to their house. She didn't know it but it contained a pesticide for bug control. Her dog's throat started to swell and get hard (allergic reaction). Is it possible she ate something to cause the blockage and the seizure?
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline shangrila

  • Moderator
  • Golden Paws
  • *****
  • Posts: 2819
    • View Profile
Re: Newfoundland collapses
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:39:19 am »
First of all, I want to say welcome to BPO ad I'm sorry that it's a sad circumstance that brought you here. How is Chewy doing today? Is he walking and acting normal? Have you done to the vet yet?

It does sound like a seizure to me, although I am not sure about it feeling like there was something in his throat (the throat muscles might have just been tense or maybe there was somehting in his throat and he was choking).
If you click on this link: http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/epilepsy.html you can watch a video of a (small) dog having a seizure.

My Saint Zoey (RIP) has a brain tumor and petite mal seizures, and my fiance has epilepsy, so I know how scary seizures can be. The best first thing you can do if you think that Chewy is having seizures is get to a vet asap (a vetrinary neurologist is even better). They make anti-seizure medicine that will help, and they will also give you advice about how to deal with the seizures if he has them again.
RIP former BPO

jesday

  • Guest
Re: Newfoundland collapses
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:21:22 pm »
Our Chihuahua has a collasped trechea and if I remember correctly our vet said it is common in large breeds as well as the tiny guys. The soft cartiledge that holds the trechea open kind of folds in on itself sometimes severely blocking the air canal. Perhaps this is what your husband was feeling down his throat and why he was able to move it around a bit. Possibly he moved it enough for the air to come through again.

Of course with the lack of air I can immagine a seizure could follow.

As others have said. I strongly recommend a trip to the vet. Poor guy, how upsetting to witness your baby in such distress and not knowing what to do. Please let us know what you find out.