Author Topic: Hard of hearing or Sound sleeper?  (Read 5063 times)

jesday

Hard of hearing or Sound sleeper?
« on: July 05, 2008, 11:11:07 am »
I've noticed quite often I will startle Syrus when going into the garage where they are sleeping. Sophie is up and alert at just the sound of the door knob but I have been able to walk all the way over to Syrus before he moves.

I always thought he was a little more independent and stubborn on our walks when he chooses not to come when called, but now I'm wondering if he's not really hearing me well.

Anyone else with sound sleeping Newfies?

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Hard of hearing or Sound sleeper?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 11:15:19 am »
I've noticed quite often I will startle Syrus when going into the garage where they are sleeping. Sophie is up and alert at just the sound of the door knob but I have been able to walk all the way over to Syrus before he moves.

I always thought he was a little more independent and stubborn on our walks when he chooses not to come when called, but now I'm wondering if he's not really hearing me well.

Anyone else with sound sleeping Newfies?

I would guess any dog could sleep that sound but while out and walking that would not be a factor. I would have him tested just to be sure.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 12:47:48 pm »
bear is a deep sleeper. He won't move sometimes & fakes being asleep but I know he can hear cuz he stops breathing for a few seconds. Maybe that is your dog too...a big faker. :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:49:46 pm »
if you want to find out... get the other dog out of the room so he is by himself since if he is hard of hearing he will rely on the behavior of his buddy. But once alone... call him from another room. Then in the same room, but behind his back, call him in a whisper. Fill food bowls and see if he comes running, open a peanut butter container, etc. Those should give you some indication of what he can hear. Good luck!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

jesday

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:58:11 am »
Thanks for the good tips. I'm really curious. The other day he was flaked out and I walked almost on top of him. I quietly called his name and he just opened his eyes and looked at me. A couple of tail thumps and back to sleep.

I think he may be pulling a "Bear fake". Afraid I'm going to make him get up and move. :D