Author Topic: Lo and behold... the Furminator!  (Read 8832 times)

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
Lo and behold... the Furminator!
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:22:23 am »
I am amazed at the ads for the furminator... but I am a skeptic. That is until my friend told me she got one and LOVES it. So, I am ready to splurge 50 bucks for a 4 inch piece of plastic with a blade. That being said... what size do I get? I have a golden and a border collie/ newf mix, about the same size as my golden girl. Do i get the large? or the medium? Any input into this overly priced miracle tool would be great!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Lo and behold... the Furminator!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:25:16 am »
I have one and love it!  I would suggest checking on Ebay that is where I purchased mine, I bought the Large and have a 80lb Great Pyrenees.  I believe I paid $35 for mine.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:44 am »
I also have one for Harley - it works very well - I bought the medium (he is the size of an irish setter) but I could have used the large which my neighbor has and loves for her 90 pound short haired mix breed

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:20:30 am »
Funny, my neighbor just loaned me her Furminator to try this last weekend.  I've been hearing about them for a long time, but I wasn't sure if I'd like it on my Pyr's coats.  I found that I love it for Daisy with her silky Golden coat (her coat is entirely Golden, no lab influence at all) and I love it for our kitties.  However, we weren't as happy with it for the Pyrs.  Sam & Cass have typical Pyr coats.  The guard hairs are coarser (thicker in diameter) than a silky coat like a Golden or a shorter haired breed, so it was quite tough to pull through their fur even though they were freshly brushed.  I still love my Evolution mat rake with two rows of pins for the Pyrs, but I'll definitely buy a Furminator for Daisy & the cats.  I would love to find something like a Furminator though, but with the teeth spaced slightly farther apart for the Pyrs if anyone knows of such a thing. 

I think that you'll love the Furminator for your Golden.  You'll have to let us know how it works on your Newf/border collie mix.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lorim2

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 04:56:33 am »
I love mine too!  I have the large and it works great on Marley and Lanie!  60 bucks at Petsmart or like everyone else, I got mine on Ebay for 27.00.  Good Luck!

Gentian

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:17:36 am »
I was a Furminator skeptic, too, until I tried one at work.

They don't work for everyone, but for the ones they do, they're excellent. My only caution is too be careful how hard you rake it across them. It's a pretty harsh feel on the skin, and thin coated older dogs or cats might find it painful.

We have a medium that I use on everyone, including the horses.   :D

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 07:42:22 am »
We have the large one.  Gunner bites at it,  but he thinks everything is a toy.  It works great for Kira though.  She is double coated but her hair is not long,  she's just fluffy!!
No regrets here!!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 10:21:21 am »
furminator is $20 at amazon.com

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 11:16:11 am »
Thanks for your input everyone! I just ordered one from www.entirelype ts.com for 29.99  - but they have a deal this month for 5% off your total order - use coupon code - JULY4th - and free shipping over 100 bucks. Heck - is my order ever under 100?!!? I ordered the medium as some of the reviews said the Large is too wide for bellies and underarms. I cant wait to get it! :)
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »
Hey, thanks for posting the price & URL since I'm in the market for one now, too.  I'll go check it out now. 

BTW, I was teasing my neighbor that since she's loaned her Furminator to so many people that are now out buying their own, that she should buy stock in the company.  Maybe I should take my own advice.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:59:03 pm »
I find the mars coat king is much better for the bigger dogs like pyrs and newfs.