Author Topic: Syrus to the rescue  (Read 1971 times)

jesday

Syrus to the rescue
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:30 am »
I've mentioned before how Syrus likes to grab my forearm and walk me out to his pen. He was starting to clamp down pretty hard, so I had to change this up a bit and let him carry a large dog toy with me attached to the other end. :)

We have several coyote packs that like to talk to each other in the night >:( and it's pretty upsetting to the bubs. Syrus barks and barks and Sophie gives a weak bark and wants in with mom.

The coyotes were at it this morning. I've never heard them in the day before. I let the dogs in to help way-lay the upset. Sophie settled right down once in the house, but Syrus kept trying to grab my arm. He'd grab me and try to lead me all over the house. Then he'd let go and bark at the door, then grab me again and try to take me somewhere.

This was not a game. He was upset. Finally the coyotes quit and so did Syrus.

I'm sure he was trying to get me some place safe from the nasty coyotes but I really would have preferred he stand in front of me, or circle me, which is more the Newfie trait.

I don't know what's the greater danger; the coyotes or Syrus' protection. :D

I love Newfies!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Syrus to the rescue
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:13:03 pm »
Aww, what a good boy!  You never know how he'd react if the coyotes were actually within sight.  At that point he may have put himself between the two of you.  Maybe he knew enough that you weren't in immediate danger and his instinct was to lead you farther away.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer