Author Topic: Maybe he is a protector after all!  (Read 8121 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Maybe he is a protector after all!
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:46:10 pm »
Last night Bear and I were crossing the street after our finally potty. It was dark, about 9:30 and it was just the two of us since Michael was in class. People were around but nobody particularly creepy or anything in my opinion. Anyhow, before we crossed the street a new bunch of people arrived and stood near us but not to close. Bear turns around, looks at one guy and growls. I couldn't believe it! The guy looked ok and wasn't to close but Bear wouldn't let go. I told him to "leave it" and that it was ok but as we crossed he kept staring at the guy and growled again. The guy moved from the left of Bear to complete other side of the cross walk and then quickly walked down the street. I am so proud of my boy because he protected his momma by sensing something I couldn't. What a good boy huh?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe he is a protector after all!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:58:35 pm »
Good job, Bear!  Did he growl loud enough for everyone to hear or just a quiet warning to you & a "back off" to the guy?  Isn't it amazing how they just know things about people that we could never know that fast?  I always defer to my dogs' opinions of people.  They have great instincts and no reason to lie to you.    :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:32:56 am »
I hope bear gets an ice cream for that!!!  GOOD BOY BEAR!! Protect your little mama!  :)  It really is so funny how they sense a person's personality before we can even think about it.  Plus, I mean come on, how often does Bear growl?  Let alone AT someone... This guy must have been a major CREEPO! behind the exterior...

Yah for BEAR the Protector!!!

sidenote:  Fumble has FINALLY become protective!  He gets the big boy bark if someone comes to the house!  Or even if the renters next door shut their car doors... (basically sounds like someone's at our house)... i love the big wooof!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

jesday

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:13:58 am »
Now we are making a bunch of assumptions about the poor innocent guy's personality. Bear could merely have been smelling the gun in his pocket! ;D

I think my Sophie could use a few lessons. She still runs to mom when something is amiss.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:34:47 am »
Way to go Bear!   Woo Hoo.  You go boy and take care of your mama.  She takes great care of you. 
I trust my dogs instincts implicitly.  If they do not trust or like someone, I will tend to be more observant and careful around that person.  When I go to do home visits, for rescue groups, I always watch very closely to see what my dog's reaction is to the family members.  If they have a major issue with one or all of them, I am careful to relay that info to the rescue group.  Most of the time, they will dig a little deeper and sometimes, do a second meet and greet, just to determine what is going on. 
Congratulation s on finding out that you really are safe with Bear.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:04:56 am »
What a good boy Bear. I don't know if Clifford will ever protect me. We were out walking at about 11pm last night and he was still wanting anyone we passed to come up and pet him. I just hope that anyone that doesn't know newfies will at least think he looks scary when we are out late.
I do strongly believe in dog instincts. My mom had a Scottie who wouldn't let anyone in the house, it was always a problem with people coming to work on the house. The only person the dog never barked at when I brought him to the house was my husband way before we got married, so I figured if Bonnie could trust him so could I and of course she was right.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:38:26 am »
Good job, Bear!  Did he growl loud enough for everyone to hear or just a quiet warning to you & a "back off" to the guy? 

Bear rarely growls and always kinda has me wondering if he is protective because he is usually so passive. He's growled a handful of times at other unaltered males before the big snip-a-roony but since has done nothing. But, yes, to answer your question, he did growl loud enough the first time. After that it was more of a growl I could feel through the leash and kinda hear but I think the intense stare, slow walk and posturing freaked the guy out.

Bear did get lotsa love and kisses when he got home for a job well done!
Hugs,
Jaime

Gentian

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:59:50 pm »
Wow. I wondered when/if a protective instinct would kick in. Bosco only barks in play and once at a sexy pittie girl at the park. It was the funniest "Hey, baby!" bark, and I swear she smiled back at him. Her person was walking laps and the situation repeated itself several times. A dozen dogs would pass with no response from B, and every time that girl passed, he perked up and barked.  ::) Men.

Luckily, until his instincts kick in, I have Junie, my Catahoula girl. She's a marshmallow 99% of the time, but she's a fierce defender of her family and property, and so far her instincts have been dead on. On a walk around our small town just after dark, she resisted when I turned down a dimly lit side street. I teased her a little about being afraid of the dark, but after asking her to come with me twice and her putting on the brakes, I was a little apprehensive myself. The next afternoon, I learned that two teenaged boys had run away from a training camp a few miles away and stolen a car on that street just after dark. (They were caught joyriding just over the state line. Smart. Escape, steal a car, then drive recklessly and get caught!) It was eerie, though. Did she hear them? Did they hear us and hide? Did she sense their anxiety? What would have happened if we'd interrupted them? They were just kids, but still.

Maybe B will learn from his 45-pound big sis. I don't walk after dark without her, even in my safe little town. I can't say I feel as secure with him yet.

Amanda

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 02:22:29 pm »
What a good boy Bear!!  We're so proud of you!!

I've always trusted my dogs reactions to things more than my own.  I truly believe dogs have a sixth sense that can alert them to danger even when absolutely nothing is amiss.  Sierra is also like Clifford - she sees someone and all she wants is to run up to them and be pet.  There hav only been a few instances where she wasn't friendly.  She wasn't protective, but she made it clear she did not like these people.

So I think Bear could tell something wasn't quite right.  The guy may have looked ok, but you never can tell...  Ted Bundy relied on his clean cut looks to get his victims to trust him.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:39:42 am »
Right on about the Ted Bundy comment. I think, especially as women, we are brought up to assume the best about someone. Be kind and sweet and accepting until they prove otherwise. Unfortunately, you may be in the trunk of a car before you figure that out! With dogs, they dont care how they are perceived... They just react to what they sense. I completely trust my babies. I can look back and remember a few instances when I should have listened. Like a certain ex boyfriend that my golden growled at as the hair stood straight up on her back. I thought she was jealous... turns out he was a complete freak of nature! So I've learned...If my dogs don't like you, see you later!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:01:40 pm »
even normal looking people can be closet freeks.  I love that our babies can tell the difference. 
i have a guy in our neighborhood that Grace dispises.  He's a perfectly nice guy and means no harm, but Grace won't let that one go. 
I trust her with my life.  I bet Bear made you feel so safe. 

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 04:29:30 pm »
Way to go big fella!  It makes you so proud when they do something on instinct.  I am glad he was on the alert and protected his Mom.  Extra treats all around!

Anita & the 4 Newfies from Jersey

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 08:41:41 am »
You can trust a newf to be your protector when you need them most. All our newfs have come accross as happy go lucky and useless property protectors. But two have each growled at one person each.Abbey growled at a guy when we were at an automatic teller machine, and he left. And Zack growled at a guy, at our gate, who asked to use the phone. For a car break down. We live out in a very quiet rural area and i was home alone. I did not let him in the gate and told him i was unable to control my dog ;D I think they would protect their people, but would let anyone walk away with your propety :D
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 09:07:37 pm »
You can trust a newf to be your protector when you need them most. All our newfs have come accross as happy go lucky and useless property protectors. But two have each growled at one person each.Abbey growled at a guy when we were at an automatic teller machine, and he left. And Zack growled at a guy, at our gate, who asked to use the phone. For a car break down. We live out in a very quiet rural area and i was home alone. I did not let him in the gate and told him i was unable to control my dog ;D I think they would protect their people, but would let anyone walk away with your propety :D

Those are two situations where their instinct totally saved you I think. I am amazed at how smart our dogs really are!
Hugs,
Jaime