Author Topic: Some Things You CAN Do With Big Dogs...  (Read 13559 times)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Some Things You CAN Do With Big Dogs...
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 03:44:06 pm »
Lucy's dad.. that sure is a refreshing story to hear! I certainly understand real phobias, allergies or any of the several other issues people can have, and I'll go out of my way to make them comfortable. But once they get rude -  The gloves are off - I usually win. :)

Michael

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 03:45:28 pm »
Here's the link to MSN's pet fridnly places in teh major cities.

http://local.msn.com/special/petfriendly.asp
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 08:46:19 pm »
Dozer loves to ride. I take him to McDonalds through the drive thru. You stop at the first window to pay, well Dozer was in the back hanging over my shoulder by the window working up a good drooler ( he loves the dollar cheese burgers) The teeny booper in the pay window almost gagged. I had to bite my tongue to stop from laughing. At the next window where you actually get your order the lady just loved him.
When we go through the bank drive thru they give him Milkbones.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 08:48:56 pm »
Dozer loves to ride. I take him to McDonalds through the drive thru. You stop at the first window to pay, well Dozer was in the back hanging over my shoulder by the window working up a good drooler ( he loves the dollar cheese burgers) The teeny booper in the pay window almost gagged. I had to bite my tongue to stop from laughing. At the next window where you actually get your order the lady just loved him.
When we go through the bank drive thru they give him Milkbones.
My bank give Milkbones too!...Sammy is no stranger to the McDonalds drive through...lol. ..He gets so excited & leans across me when they hand me the bag!...They love him there!...I wonder if it would be o.k. to teach him to take the bag from the window person?...lol!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 09:18:08 pm »
The donut places here give ours Donut hoels or whole donuts, depending on who's working the window. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 09:27:30 pm »
www.dogfriendl y.com is a GREAT resource for places where dogs are allowed!  I've taken the Newfs to just about everywhere I go (except inside restaurants) and they are usually welcomed with treats and hugs.  At our local up-scale department store, all the cosmetic ladies were on the floor hugging the big fella and giving me ALL sorts of samples to make us stay longer.  I probably need them more than most!!  Cowboy is wonderful in hotels....the Cypress Inn in Carmel is owned by Doris Day and you almost HAVE to have a dog to stay there!!!  It is SO much fun!  Dogs sitting with their owners at breakfast, seeing them all on the dog-friendly beach, going in to dog friendly restaurants all over Carmel!  Chester still hasn't had a chance to go, but maybe next spring??!!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 09:52:50 pm »
One thing you can do with big dogs that you can't do with little ones is hug them, wrestle them and love them like a person. You can't do that with a little dog!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 09:55:11 pm »
One thing you can do with big dogs that you can't do with little ones is hug them, wrestle them and love them like a person. You can't do that with a little dog!  ;D
Yeah, well you can't throw a big dog through a tire swing from 30 feet either...LOL! :D

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005, 09:57:37 am »
We actually stumbled across an amusing outting for the boys this last weekend. I'm an entertainer at our local Renaissance Faire, and we camp onsite for the weekends, as it's a long day.

We took it into our heads that perhaps the boys would enjoy coming out with us the day before the Faire started, and sniff out the sights and sleep in the trailer with us. They LOVED it! The people were uber-friendly, and we couldn't seem to walk two feet without stopping for some puppy-lovins.  ;D

Apollo was raring to get into the horse arena...he seemed to think that Mom had finally provided toys big enough for him to play with. ::) The owners were laughing to see this enormous mutant moose dragging me around trying to get into the pens, but I preservered and eventually convinced him that No, those were not giant stuffies, and No, they did not want to be drooled on. ;)

All in all, a lovely experience for my boys, and I look forward to taking them again. It was a little rough sleep ing that night; all the new sounds and smells kept them up for most of the night, thereby ensuring that we got no rest either, but it was well worth it.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Nicole

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2005, 10:06:14 am »
Let's see....Cabeza always goes to the local pet store with us. I bartend at a yacht club and my boyfriend brought him into the bar the other night. He was a big hit and SO well behaved! Everyone forgot he was even there. There were several places in Chapel Hill that I could bring the dogs. There was a bar called the Cave...they had treats in a jar on the bar! There was always little dogs sitting on the barstools, it was awesome! I could also bring them to the video store there, and several restaurants with outdoor patios.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2005, 10:53:50 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Ok now THAT is funny! I'm feeling the love for the ankle-biters.

Yeah, well you can't throw a big dog through a tire swing from 30 feet either...LOL! :D
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 12:22:51 pm »
;D ;D ;D ;D Ok now THAT is funny! I'm feeling the love for the ankle-biters.

I sit for 2 miniature Chihuahuas at my house...I love the little things but I wouldn't own a Chi...The tire swing comment I stole from my hubby...He was joking of course but it was a bit fo a joke around B.P.'s for awhile. :D

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 12:27:40 pm »
 ;D

Fabulous story......go Lucy!!

smohr

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 12:20:14 pm »
My Lady used to LOVE to go thru the McDonald's drive thru and the people there usually had her bi-weekly treat of an unwrapped cheese burger ready for her, threw it at her and she caught it in mid-air.  HA!  Memories...you r story brought it back since she had been doing that for several months while she was sick.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 04:00:25 pm »
My guys almost ALWAYS come with me to the McD's drive thru.  I used to take Keiko to the drive thru at the bank too, they loved her.  Our bank here doesn't have a drive thru.

Besides Petsmart and Petco, I've heard that some Home Depot's let you take your dogs.  I have yet to try it.  Also some Barnes and Nobles.  I've seen some dogs coming out of the local sporting goods store, too.  I guess I feel weird asking........ .I'm not much of a go getter, so I wait until I hear it's okay from someone else before trying it myself.

I would like to know of more places, as I'm trying to train Keiko for therapy work, and would like her to get used to going into strange buildings.  And learning that you can't get biscuits in every store, like she does at Petsmart.