Author Topic: He's home! Kitty update  (Read 3898 times)

Lyn

He's home! Kitty update
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:30:56 am »
My little midget kitten is home, finally!

He's had the respitatory infection for 6 days now. He's still congested and breathing through his mouth occasionally. So I set him up in our spare room with a vaporizer. It seems to be helping him breathe a bit easier. The vet said there isn't anything else he can do for him, the virus needs to works it's way on on it's own. So I'm keeping a close eye on him and so far it still hasen't entered his chest. *Knock on wood* If he stops eating or becomes lethargic again, back to the vet he goes.

He's still on Clavamox to get rid of the bacterial infection and the albon seems to be kicking the Coccidia. His poops are normal color at least now and don't stink to high heaven.

He sounds horrible (he blows snot bubbles, :( ) but he's feeling good enough to play for short periods. And he's eating like a pig. All good signs. ;D

Edit... Any suggestion on a gift for my vet? My vet bill was amazingly small for a 5 day hospital stay, ($70) He gave me an insane discount and now I feel like I owe him something. LOL
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:10:38 am by Lyn »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: He's home!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 09:16:58 am »
Wow! I can't get out of a regular checkup-trip to the vet for less than $70. Is a big, sloppy kiss an inappropriate gift??

I think a thank you gift is a wonderful idea, but remember he doesn't work alone - and he wasn't the only one helping your kitty. If you get something, make it something the whole office can share - like a basket of homemade cookies, or a cookie cake (if you don't want to bake them yourself), or even if it's just a box of donuts or something.

Trust me, it will be appreciated.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:31:29 am »
Big sloppy kiss.. Ummm no I wouldn't go that far. LOL

Good point about him not working alone. I know the techs were all keeping a close eye on him too. I'm not a baker, so cookies and donuts sound good to me. :D

Just curious does anyone know how long the viral part of a URI can take to clear up? I feel so bad for the little guy. :(

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 11:21:19 am »
Wow Lyn that's awesome!  I can't believe the vet only charged you $70!  I would get a big basket full of all sorts of different stuff, and the gift card to a restaurant is a great idea too.  :)  Depending on how big his staff is, maybe get a gift card for a buffet place with enough on it for them all to go, but only if it's a smaller staff.

Maybe a name like Miracle, cause it's taken a few miracles to get him to where he is, or Charm, cause he's charmed to have such a great momma and fantastic vet.  :D

Give kitty a gentle kiss on the top of his itty bitty head for me please.  :-* :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:38:15 am »
Aww I am so glad he is home. And $70 :o WOW I think I would have hit the floor  ;D That is awesome. I would go the food route I LOVE getting food as a thank you.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:18:07 pm »
LMFAO Harry Dingleschmidt. LOL :D It's Dr.Manchester. . not as bad as Dingleschmidt. . but still. LOL

This clinic is known for being very reasonable price wise. It cost me under $200 to neuter Bubba back in April. Although I still was expecting a bill larger than $70.

Yeah Cash definitely isn't suiting him at all now that I got the bill. :D So far for 2 exams, the fecal test, Clavamox for the URI, Albon for the Coccidia plus the hospital stay and whatever meds they gave him while he was there.. I'm at a grand total of about $150 at the moment. Although I know if it wasn't for my vet's discounts I'd be in the poorhouse right about now. LOL

Their thank you gift will be delivered tomorrow. I think I'll go with the donuts and cookies since there are no good buffet places here. :-\ Plus I'm not sure how many staff they have.. guessing probably 15-20.

Thanks guy! The little guy is doing good.. currently he's sleeping after packing away too much canned food.. the bloated little pig. LOL
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:19:11 pm by Lyn »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:23:46 pm »
Wow, I love your vet (from afar  :D)!!  I bet that they'll love your yummy gift.  I bet that you'll be their very favorite client now.   ;)  Oh & namewise?  Though "Cash" may not fit so well after all, how about Johnny (as in Johnny Cash)?  Or maybe something that makes you think of his pretty color.  I'm so glad that he's improving now.  He's a lucky kitten to have found you.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 07:49:03 pm »
Manchester is a great name for such a tiny kitty! But yeah, what's the first name? It would be funny to have a tiny kitten named "Steve" or "Dan" or something, wouldn't it??
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 08:40:53 am »
I believe his first name is Geoff. :D He's not my usual vet their are 2 at the clinic. But I stuck with him this time since he was the first to examine the little man. I've had issues with him in the past, but I put that aside and I'm glad I did because whatever he did worked.

As of this morning the little guy is feeling a ton better. He's not as congested, no more snot bubbles and his right eye is no longer weeping. The left is still a bit goopy but it looks like the virus is on it's way out! ;D

He's chewing toes and fingers and acting like a kitten should. :D Since 9am I've had my eyelashes swatted and my chin bitten and my back climbed. Yeah he's feeling much better! LOL

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 10:29:37 am »
I'm loving hearing about that kitten-y behavior! Yay - that's a great sign!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:09:13 am »
Just an update.

My cute little wee man is now the kitty from h*ll. :D Currently his nicknames are Freak and Little Sh*t. LOL He stalks anything that moves and loves to bite. LOL He still hates to be picked up and will chew on your fingers in protest. Most of it seems to be mainly play based and since he's been sick I've let him get away with it. Luckily none of the biting is hard but we will definitely need to stop that behaviour in the near future.

But he's obviously feeling better now and I'm positive he's gained weight which is good. The respiratory infection is almost gone.. not sure about the Coccidia yet. He just finished the meds a couple days ago. I think it's gone but I still need to get another stool sample in to be sure.

Sorry no pics yet. The little bugger doesn't stop moving now. LOL

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: He's home! Kitty update
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:12:08 am »
Yay little Freak! Glad your back in action! Maybe take it easy on the "action" part, though, huh?  ;)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie