Author Topic: After her surgery what will make her comfy?  (Read 5999 times)

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
After her surgery what will make her comfy?
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:34:44 pm »
my Sophie is getting fixed. im wondering what i can do to make her feel comfy during this time? any special food or toys or ????? i just want her to be as comfortable as she can be. thanks all..

ANGEL

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: After her surgery what will make her comfy?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 04:52:53 pm »
She will be happy with a soft comfy bed to lay in and plenty of chew toys so that she can feel busy without running around. When zoey got spayed we bought her a 3 foot bully stick for her to chew on while she was wearing the cone, and a variety of smaller chews for when she wasn't.
RIP former BPO

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 05:12:10 pm »
Danemom - does your vet give you options for surgery like: getting lab work, getting an iv, getting post-op pain meds?  I couldn't believe that i had to purchase those things extra...they should just be included.  Who gets surgery for their dog and does not opt for the post-op pain medication?  And an IV is a must for surgery...(now I may be thinking like the nurse I am but...) What if the pooch has a reaction from anesthesia or starts to hemorrhage - you need to have an IV to give emerg. meds and blood if needed without having to waste precious moments trying to get one started.  As for the labwork, i didn't get it for my dogs and maybe I should have, but they were healthy pups....

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 06:09:00 pm »
Great ideas about getting her something to keep her occupied while she is on the mend! That is the hardest part, they want to be able to do all of the things that they usually do and they have to take it easy for awhile. Our vet recommended that we not give Abbey post-op pain medication unless she was displaying extreme signs of pain, she is a high activity dog and if we masked her pain with medication she would be more prone to exerting herself (jumping on and off the couch, trying to run about). It was a hard decision to make because we really didn't want her to feel pain, but in the end we didn't want her to hurt herself by over exertion. We did have the pre-op blood work done, they check how well the kidneys are functioning which is vital during anesthesia. It does cost more, but I was worried enough about her having her surgery that I wanted to clear my mind as much as I could. They usually pull through just fine, and resume acting like themselves within a couple of days. Good luck.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 08:30:26 pm »
thanks for the info..i will do my best to make her as comfy as possible..

the vet does do blood work on the dog before surgery. im so happy for that because my chi was going to get fixed and ended up having liver problems. if they never done that test before puttin her under they said she most likely would have died on the table. im so glad they did that blood work.

so i know if anything goes on she will be well takin care of. they also told me the same thing about the meds. it sucks but if they are pain free they will act like nothing is wrong. unless something goes wrong or she NEEDS it then i will get it. they do the IV as well. my only out of pocket will be the purdy lamp shade so she doesnt get to her stiches..lol oh and they pain meds if they want me to give them to her.  so im sure things will go well and i will keep everyone posted on how things go. love this site because there is always someone to answer questions that we have...

ANGEL

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 08:38:37 pm »
If you have other critters in the house you'll want to try to keep her seperated form them post op so she doesn't get excited or agitated...I am still undecided on my position on post op pain meds...On one hand they'll make your fur baby more comfortable... On the other hand you don't want them to feel so good that they over do it & injure themselves...W hen I have had young cats spayed or neutered I opted not to use the meds...On Samson I used them because I stupidly had his rear dewclaws removed when he was neutered...Whe n I was recently faced with my 8 & 1/2 yr. old Maine Coon mix cat having top have surgery I was going to use the post op pain meds because she is no spring chicken...Than k goodness she didn't need the surgery...I hope she will be back on her feet in no time flat! :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 07:40:29 am »
Grace knew her limits.  I had a big pillow for her and of course pain meds...aka tranquillizers
She was ok in a few days and stopped when she knew she had gone too far.  It's a tough 7 days.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:52:15 am »
Maybe freeze some diluted chicken broth in to cubes and let her chew on those!  It will keep her cool and hydrated!

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 02:08:01 pm »
shakespeare just had surgery to amputate his toe and we are very thankful for those pain meds.  Ours were certainly a downer, so even though he felt better he wasn't about to get up and run around.  We have to keep him really calm so he doesn't run around and hurt his foot.  Poor puppy.

He hates his cone,  and he can also reach his foot even with it on.  The dane in him gives him such a long body and such long legs that he can curl up more than most dogs.  Our vet said as long as he wasn't licking it or trying to get it off that we didn't need a bigger cone.  Even if he can get to it, he has to try very hard to do so.  He actually is using that as a healing guage.  if he goes through all the trouble to sit jsut right in order to reach his paw then there is something wrong....

Make sure that if you give her treats with the cone on that you stay near by.  Shakes likes to accidentaly drop bit down under his chin and they just sit ther in the bottom of the cone driving him crazy.

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 12:15:41 am »
thanks for the great info...i will keep you all posted on how she does... Also does this calm a pup down? someone told me it will help but i am not sure if its true or not..i guess maybe on some pups but not all..hmmm anyone know?

angel