Author Topic: Blood in Urine ** Update***  (Read 22707 times)

lins_saving_grace

Blood in Urine ** Update***
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:17:06 pm »
Why would there be blood in a dog's urine??

Grace goes out and "marks her territory" so to speak.  When she relieves herself the first time, things are the right color.  when she goes again, there's blood in the urine. 

What is that all about?  this just started today.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:57:21 pm by Lin »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Blood in Urine
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 03:33:26 pm »
she's able to pee and is doing it well.  just that second tinkle is red. it doesn't seem to hurt her to do it. just now it was a little more diluted.  of course this didn't happen till after noon when the vet's office closed. 
she doesn't drink much water today, but will drink milk.  I don't think she's been hurt and she has had some UTI's in the past.  i'll watch her tonight and call the vet first thing monday no matter what.  she's in good spirits and bouncy. 
she is taking rymidal for the strain on her leg that may be the ACL or not and did get her shots Thursday including a new vacine for a bacteria found in stagnat water. 

How would she get kidney stones?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 03:45:34 pm by Lin »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »
i am coming up with creative ways to make her drink.  i put water in ice cream, gravy, milk and other things just to get water in her.  she's not real interested in regular water.

thanks for the info.  this was a shock to me today.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 05:59:32 pm »
I haven't.  i have a little bowl pump for when we go for walks.  she thinks that's pretty neat.  Or she likes to drink from the toilet bowl. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:26:11 pm »
still only drinking when enticed.  poor girl.  i can't wait till monday morning. 
we just went for a little walk.  she peed a good bit here and there, and only once with a small amount of blood in it.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 08:06:20 pm »
well i got about 2 cups of water in her.  ok water mixed with milk and water mixed with pork juice. 

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 08:13:27 pm »
Penny Lane did the same when she had a UTI. So now if I see a drop of blood I give her a cranberry pill. Just pick it up at and store. I give her one for a few days then it is ok.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 08:26:31 pm »
that works for dogs too?  I'll have to ask the vet about that.  I would think she needs antibotics at this point to take care of it...but if that's a good preventative that would be nice.  My vet tells me Rotts are prone to GI issues, ear issues, and bladder issues. 

jesday

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 08:29:18 pm »
I didn't notice blood in urine until I saw a little blood stain on the sofa blanket our Chihuahua sleeps on. Blood in urine for humans is often very serious, but when I took him to vet it was just a UTI cleared up easily with antibiotic. She told me blood in urine in very common in dogs with UTI's and not nearly as serious as in humans. Other than the stain, he was perfectly normal as far as rest of his behavior. 

Hopefully this is all that is going on with Grace.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 09:42:04 pm »
I didn't notice blood in urine until I saw a little blood stain on the sofa blanket our Chihuahua sleeps on. Blood in urine for humans is often very serious, but when I took him to vet it was just a UTI cleared up easily with antibiotic. She told me blood in urine in very common in dogs with UTI's and not nearly as serious as in humans. Other than the stain, he was perfectly normal as far as rest of his behavior. 

Hopefully this is all that is going on with Grace.
that is comforting to know.  It's been a rough year for Little One. 

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:53:59 am »
I'm a cranberry pill believer, too.  I've used them for myself but also for the pups.  If I suspect a UTI, I give them cranberry pills just until I can get them to the vet as soon as they open.  The dr told me that something in the cranberries helps to keep bacteria from sticking to the interior lining of the bladder, so it can help to prevent UTI's, and can be a temporary comfort during a UTI until you can get antibiotics.  Cassie had a UTI a few months ago, so I added Wellness food to her diet b/c it has blueberries in it (similar to cranberries for prevention).  So far, she hasn't had another UTI yet (knock wood!).   ;) 

Also, when I've had UTI's & kidney infections, the odd thing is that I just don't feel like drinking anything for some reason.  Of course, that's the worst thing because the fluids are vital.  :-\  Maybe that's just me though.  If Grace likes canned food for a treat, you might have luck making a soup out of it by adding more water or low sodium broth.  That usually works for my pups anyway.  I hope that Grace kicks this quickly, poor girl.   :(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 01:23:06 am »
she doesn't feel like drinking, you're right.  I've been making her drink by adding milk or this pork juice to water.  i've been having luck with that.  tomorrow i'll boil some boullion cubes in water, just to add taste.  we'll manage till the vet opens i think.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 05:26:17 am »
ok.  i will do that.  She had some already though.  not much.  but the good news is, there's no blood this morning.  i'll run out and get more broth soon.  in the meantime, she will drink with milk or something nummy.

She had her shots Thursday and there's a new vacine they are giving to prevent against a bateria in stagnat water.  this bacteria affects the liver and kidneys and i'm wodering if this is a happy side effect. 

no matter what, the vet is getting a call in the morning.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 05:57:16 am »
no doubt.  i hate it when my baby has scarey issues. i saw that yesterday and FREEKED!   it happens 3 days before her shots, she was in the stagnat river water playing.  i had no idea there's a new thing dogs can get. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:57:46 am by Lin »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 01:42:22 pm »
I haven't seen any blood today.  she still won't drink regular water.  that bothers me.  but if pampering is what she wants, then that's what she'll get.  what a diva.