Author Topic: Ever heard of using rice krispies for weight loss?  (Read 6623 times)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Ever heard of using rice krispies for weight loss?
« on: July 20, 2008, 06:26:37 pm »
I ran into a trainer and was talking to her about Kira and her weight.  She was commenting about how large she was(height and lard butt,  mostly her height) and I told her Kira has been on reduced calorie food(Wellness Healthy Weight) and not lost anything.
She recommended replacing one cup of food with one cup of rice krispies.  If I did that,  kira would only be getting two cups of kibble a day and one cup of rice krispies.
Any thoughts?

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Ever heard of using rice krispies for weight loss?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »
I thought it sounded crazy,  but she acted like she KNEW what she was talking about.  Im going to just continue with the 3 cups a day feeding on the wellness and try to get in an extra walk or two a week and see if that will help her lose that extra weight seh is carrying.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
Beta fish-Mak

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:11:38 pm »
I agree with most I wouldn't add sugery substitue..

When Magic started to pack on more than he needed we substitued kibble with veggy's like
if he was getting 4 cups he got 2 cups and a cup of green beans..or carrots..

He really liked it thought he was getting people fodd which we all know they think is the best..

And within three weeks or so it worked just fine..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:51:53 am »
If you need to reduce the amount of kibble given at a feeding to achieve weight loss, yet still satisfy that empty feeling they get at having less to eat, then yes, you would want to provide bulk without calories. I would be more inclined to go with rice cakes than rice krispies. No added sugar and they are great to use as a substitute for treats too. Break one in half and spread with a little reduced fat peanut butter! I did this for my late, great Chloe, until I discovered that her weight problem was primarily due to hypothyroidism . Once that was under control the weight came down easily. Any chance Kira's thyroid is out of whack?
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 04:43:38 pm »
. Any chance Kira's thyroid is out of whack?

We(the vet and I) talked about that. When I take her back for her weight check in Aug, depending on how much she has lost, we will see if she needs to do any tests.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
Beta fish-Mak