Author Topic: Henri's off his food  (Read 10522 times)

Offline henrismum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Henri's off his food
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:41 am »
Hi all.

This is Henri, a just turned 6 month old Giant Schanuzer.
I've been searching on the net for some advice and just found your site - so helooooo!!!!

Anyway, up until now Henri has been the perfect eater 3 meals a day and no problems in finishing his food. This last week though he's just not been eating, he's maybe eaten a third of the amount he usually does.

We've moved him from his puppy food onto junior food (and cut him to meals twice a day) about 3 weeks ago - and he seemed to love it at the time that we did it - so I don't think its his menu he's unhappy with.

Could it just be the hot weather - over here in France its suddenly become summer - but its cooler today and again he's not eaten all of his breakfast.

Appart from him not eating he's fine - still lolloping around and acting like a complete loon! He's got no problems with his energy levels - and he's still drinking plenty.

Has anyone any ideas? Should I be going to the vets - I just don't know (first time mother  ??? ).

Henri's Mum x

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Henri's off his food
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 03:10:49 am »
Henri is adorable.
It could be the food. I have heard of pups snubbing the food when they smell something wrong with it.

And what is up with the weather? It is so cold today! I live an hour from the German/France boarder.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline henrismum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:43:52 am »
Thanks heaps for your suggestions.

Sory about so many photos up there - couldn't quite figure it, but I'll know for next time.

I'll see how he goes for another couple of days - and like you say try him with something a bit more tempting.

He's still as mad as a box of frogs - he's just been running around the garden like he's got a bee up his bum!!!

It's nicer he's cooler today AltDeutsche - but I'd like the sun back!!! (sniff!). We're in central france and went from 32 degrees yesterday to 17 today!

Offline henrismum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 02:47:31 pm »
Thank you, thank you thank you - so nice to have someone to ask for help!

Really appreciate all your comments xx

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:20:04 am »
Hello and welcome. I found this site myself a few months ago and have gotten incredible information on nutrition.

I am in Ohio and the last couple of weeks we have had some 90 degree days. Tink is 6 months old and around 90 lbs. She usually eats about 2-1/2 cups of kibble twice a day. Since it has been so hot she hasn't been eating all or sometimes any of her second serving. The heat definately effects her of course her energy level is reduced with the heat too so it all works out OK. If he is happy and active I am sure he is fine.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:44:37 pm »
hello and welcome, i am lauren owned by jaz the great dane, titan the demon mastiff who just turned a year...and maya the belgian malinois...who got dumped on us!  Welcome a board...great place here...and you have one cute pup!

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:40:42 am »
It is at least somewhat warmer today. Also nice and sunny!

How is Henri doing today? Getting any better?
Danielle

Offline henrismum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:53:15 am »
Good news all!!!

Hernri has scoffed all his dinner this morning - and then asked for more. I recon we're back on track. Thanks everyone for all your help to keep this nervous mum from worrying.

Just thought I'd ask another question - do I need to open another discussion? Anyway - will ask it here first.

Henri's now 6 months and he's still weeing like a girly dog.

Will he ever just naturally start to do it the other way - or should I send the other half out to cock his leg aginst the wall whenever he needs a wee for a few weeks to see if Henri takes the hint!! (actually being truthfull he does think its funny after a few beers to do that anyway - so it wouldn't really be a chore for him!!)

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:37:41 am »
Good Morning,
I'm new to the site. What breed is your boy? He might look like my Margaret. She is a rescue, so I'm not sure WHAT she is. Maybe a Griffon, a wire haired terrier? She is going to be BIG. Margaret's feet are the size of snow shoes.
I'm not great at navigating around this site yet--but I'll get there. Maybe I can find his breed in your earlier post. This is Margaret-4 months old-does she look anything like your darling Hernri? Thank you! Patty 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:46:24 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:23:39 am »
Hello Henri's mom. Glad to hear his appetite is back to normal. He certainly is a handsome fellow. About the leg lifting issue, I think it's not really a learned behavior. Either they do or they don't. Of the three male St Bernards I have had, only my current one is a leg lifter. If anyone ever remarked on the squatting issue I always replied, "(Sundance) or (Drago), is so secure in his masculinity that he has no need to demonstrate to others that he is the biggest dog on the block". Now Breccan, my current male, lifts his leg even to poop. Kinda funny to see poo-berries hanging in bushes two and a half feet off the ground! Still, even he will squat sometimes out of sheer laziness. When you're a Big Paw you don't have to prove anything unless you want to! :)
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 08:27:17 am »
It isn't a learned behavior. I have had the boys take a while to lift the leg. One of my shepherd took a year till he started. The pups I have now stand like a horse peeing. They have never squated after I brought them home. Hard to potty train when they just stood there and you didn't know if they were peeing or not.  ::)
Danielle

Offline henrismum

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:30 am »
I'll keep my fingers crossed that he might at some point learn to lift his leg then - even if just to stop him peeing on his enormous feet!!!

info for Patty Henri is a giant schnauzer - i've attched a couple of pics of how he looked at 9 weeks when we got him. yours certainly seems to have a similar look! I hope whatever she turns out to be you get as much love and fun out of her as i have out of Henri x

I've just done a million awwwwwww's looking back through his puppy photos!!!!

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 04:27:59 pm »
It isn't a learned behavior. I have had the boys take a while to lift the leg. One of my shepherd took a year till he started. The pups I have now stand like a horse peeing. They have never squated after I brought them home. Hard to potty train when they just stood there and you didn't know if they were peeing or not.  ::)

Bo has never squatted, and just stands there and lets it all go. It can be quite gross!

I've been told in the past that if male pups are neutered at a young enough age they are less likely to lift their leg to pee (and much less likely to mark their territory).  Having a fairly extensive garden I was fond of this concept and rushed Bo in for his neutering.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP