Author Topic: Sophie coughed up blood!  (Read 10016 times)

jesday

Sophie coughed up blood!
« on: July 24, 2008, 09:17:24 pm »
We came home this evening to coughed up blood on the floor of the garage. We know it was Sophie because she still had some slobber hanging off her face with some blood in it. There were 3 separate areas of it! :-[

Thank goodness our vet is open late on Thursdays and they said to bring her right in.

Best case scenario is she got into something that irritated her stomach or intestinal tract. Our vet said cheat grass is notorious for stomach irritation and we have plenty of it around here.

Worst case is that it is the onset of Pneumonia or a respiratory infection. Adding to this concern is relatively low body temperature and she lost 3 pounds in 2 days even eating regularly! :-[ We've got her on antibiotics and Prilosec. Plus poor baby can't eat much for awhile, then really bland diet. 

But here is yet another great thing about dogs. When our vet came into the exam room she just stood there a moment not saying anything. It started to scare me. Then she said she was sorry but it had been a really bad day. She had  done two euthanasias and now her favorite Sophie girl was sick.

She got down on her knees and wrapped her arms around Sophie and just held her, I'm sure trying to get her composure. Sophie snuggled in a little closer and rested her chin on her shoulder and the two of them stayed that way for a few moments. Each comforting the other. Ugh, still makes me cry visualizing it. :'( :'(

Anyway, perhaps a prayer for my Sophie girl and one for all the vets who after many years of practice, still care.

Offline BlazerJo

• Gnawer
  • My Boys-Bill and Jack
    • View Profile
Re: Sophie coughed up blood!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:08 pm »
OMG...so sorry for Sophie, but what an amazing moment for your baby and the Vet.  Here's some puppy angels for you!!!
Amy

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »
I immediately thought it sounded like she has had some kind of exposure to poison.  Your vet sounds like an absolute treasure.  Keep us updated!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:03:18 am »
I hope Sophie is better soon, that is pretty scary. Did she throw up any more blood after that.
Our big dogs are great to hug and get comfort from. I think that's one of the things I like best about having a big dog.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:30:36 am »
Sending good vibes and prayers your way. Yes vet is a gem. Hold on to her.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:52 am »
Seriously, I'm crying first thing in the morning. God bless your baby girl and that amazing vet.
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 08:03:19 am »
Sending good vibes to Sophie,poor girl. What a great vet you have.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:28:54 am »
Any updates on Sophie?

I hope shes doing fine today and that it was nothing.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:20:08 pm »
Oh Dear.  I would be concerned too. 
I hope she's doing better today. 
Sometimes Grace eats something and i can't get it out of her mouth before it goes down the shoot.  It worries me because anything could scrape her throat on the way down, churn in her tummy and cause a lot of damage. 

Let us know what you find out.  and send our love to that beautiful baby.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 07:29:34 pm »
No word on Sophie yet?
I was hoping to find out she was ok before I had to leave for the weekend...I will keep her in my thoughts.

jesday

Re: Sophie coughed up blood! 2nd Update
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:44:21 pm »
Sorry guys, I didn't think to just add update to original post, and had posted a new one this morning.  Thanks again for all the concern.

As of this a.m she had not coughed up anymore blood, but was feeling a bit low. Later this afternoon she was making a kind of gross hacking sound and coughed up a bit of spit with tiny pieces of wood specs. Like chewed stick or bark. No blood though.

I did need to take her in for an X-ray just to make sure there wasn't something bigger logged in her throat, but everything looked clear.

My vet was confident she swallowed something rough, just as some of you mentioned, like a stick or (hard toast ;)Which probably caused some tearing.

She still can't eat her usual yet. Soft mushy stuff for a few more days.

Whew! Now I can say, "ya goofy dog. Quit scaring me!"

Thank you again for all your thoughts.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 12:01:13 am »
Awwww, I'm glad that she's feeling better.  :-*  They sure can scare us though, can't they?   :-\
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees