Author Topic: Donkey Hurt His Back! (long) **UPDATED**  (Read 9495 times)

EllieAndBlu

Donkey Hurt His Back! (long) **UPDATED**
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:45:07 pm »
I am just so freaked and sad about Donkey.

*For those who don't know... Donkey is not an actual donkey, he is an 8 year old Weim. :) *

I am at work now so I hope this makes sense.

Late yesterday afternoon, I noticed Donks wasn't acting like his usual self... he was quiet, sleepy, lumbering along when he walked and just plain sad looking. Oh that face broke my heart.

I asked my roommate to keep an eye on him while I was at work overnight.

When I asked how he was this morning, roomie said she thought he might have hurt his neck... cause he wasn't lifting it and would yelp when she touched his head.

So I took him to the vet... who did a thorough physical examine. She feels he has spinal cord disease? (not sure exactly,I don't have her notes with me). In a nutshell, it is a degenerate spinal cord/disc/neuoralogical disease.

She said his symptoms are pretty mild right now and recommended rest. She also said it looked like he might have strained a leg muscle as he is favoring his left leg. I am thinking Donkey must have wiped-out yesterday before I got home from work... he is pretty clumsy. I am guessing that is what aggravated his back.

So needless to say, I am freaking out about my boy.

I am wondering... has anyone experiened this kind of thing with their dogs?

Thanks y'all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:39:43 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Hurt His Back! (long)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:56:42 am »
Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry that you & Donkey are going through this.  I wish that I could say something to help, but you both will be in my thoughts & prayers.  I hope that Donkey is feeling much better soon.  ((hugs))
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:56:14 am »
I'm so sorry about Donkey. I love his name, it makes me smile just thinking about looking into his face and calling him Donkey. Perhaps the Vet gave you the worst case scenario? Did you research to see if this is common to his breed? That would be my first suggestion. I'm new to this site, but I can already tell there are plenty of very caring compassionate dog lovers to offer support.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:23:00 pm by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:38 am »
Rachel, here is an excellent site about canine degenerative spinal disease: http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/degen-disk.html

I skimmed the article, but it sounds like this may not be the correct diagnosis as it says the symptoms come on gradually - not overnight.  Also, weims are not listed as one of the typical breeds to get this disease.  The good news is, the recovery rate from a ruptured disc is very high.

Hope this gives you some more info. and a little more peace of mind.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:56:05 am »
Aww I hope he is feeling better soon. I would get a second opinion just to be on the safe side  :). Have you ever thought of accupuncture? I have heard it works wonders.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:13:43 am »
Poor Donkey  :'(  Puck hurt his back a long time ago and we went to a dog chiropractor--it was really helpful for him at that time. Sending healing thoughts to sweet Donkey  :-*
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:14:27 am by Icerotti »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »
any updates on Donkey?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline BlazerJo

• Gnawer
  • My Boys-Bill and Jack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54:58 pm »
Sending PUPPY ANGELS your way.  Hope Donkey gets better soon!!!
Amy

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:12:48 pm »
Oh that poor boy!!!  I'm sure him being 8 is like us being 70.  things start hurting.  I hope he's comfy and that he'll be back to himself.  he just needs to take it easy from now on, huh?  is there anything the vet will perscribe to ease the strain or make a good therapy from now on?

EllieAndBlu

Re: Donkey Hurt His Back! (long) **Updated**
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:33:57 pm »
I just cant say it enough - I love all you BPO'ers... as always, thanks so much for the support!

Okay, so I am at work but I brought the vet's notes with me... She wrote' "Donkey has symptoms that point to his neurologic system. Degenerative disc disease of degenerative myelopathy are two possibilites."

As for the suddeness of his symtoms... Here is some clarification. His sudden bout of discomfort, I think happened probably with a wipe-out or head into wall (Julie, Donks has been known to run that big honker into all kinds of things)... but now that I think about it - I have been a mama in denial... and am feeling so guilty right now. Donks has always had an odd'ish kind of gait, but I just thought it was part of his Donkyness. And, in the past few months I've noticed him wiping out a bit more and his back leg "skating" from under him at times... again, I chalked it up to the Donks being his clumsy self and hardwood floors...  now I am thinking these are all all signs of his condition...  oh I could just cry for not recognizing and taking action.

The vet said these conditions aren't painful for the dogs... so aside from his current boo-boo, he should not be in discomfort - I hope for his sake, that is true. The vet gave him some pain meds.

As for Donks today... he is doing better and back to barking at anything and nothing.  We napped for a loooong time when I got home this morning, and I think that helped. Donkey is used to sleeping with me at nights, so when I am at work, he doesn't rest as well...

I am going to spend some time in the next days researching on the net (thanks for the site Jeanne)...

The vet says Donkey is not a candidate for surgery right now, because his symptoms are not bad enough, in her opinion they are minld... so hopefully it is progressing slowly.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:34:26 pm by EllieAndBlu »

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 09:39:18 pm »
I love his name, it makes me smile just thinking about looking into his face and calling him Donkey.

awwwww - your post makes ME smile! Donkey came as a rescue 2 1/2 years ago (even a longer story). His name was Riley, but my roomie and I started calling him Donkey as a nickname, because it just fit him so well - and well, now when you call him Riley, he doesn't even look - call him Donkey, and he comes a running!  :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:40:56 pm by EllieAndBlu »

yellow_dog_mom

Re: Donkey Hurt His Back! (long) **UPDATED**
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 05:13:09 am »
I'm so happy to hear Donkey is doing better--a side note to the names...my grandson's name is Riley, my granddaughter's name is Rachel...

My personal "wanna/will believe" is that Mr Donk injured himself and HE will be fine :-*  :-* to that FACE!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:30:23 am by yellow_dog_mom »

jesday

Re: Donkey Hurt His Back! (long) **Updated**
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 08:55:07 am »
Okay, so I am at work but I brought the vet's notes with me... She wrote' "Donkey has symptoms that point to his neurologic system. Degenerative disc disease of degenerative myelopathy are two possibilites."

Hope I did the quote correctly.

Hmmmm, I know dogs have a higher threshold for pain than humans, but I have degenerative disc disease. I guess it's not really that painful, just extremely annoying. Always having to squirm to get comfortable. My Dr. says the pain will go away eventually - because the disc degenerates and there is nothing left to hurt!? :-\

Anyway, I wouldn't beat yourself up for not recognizing prior signs. Sounds like you can't do anything for it anyway. The Donkster is a happy guy, and lucky to have you as his mom. :-*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 03:35:56 pm »
he's just trying to keep Mom on her toes.  :)  and i can relate, buddy boy.  I used to run into things when i was a kid.  those parking meters just jump out of no where when you're looking at where you were instead of where you're going.  :)  take it easy you loveable silver bullet. 

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 01:02:25 pm »
Thanks sooooo much everyone - for all the support, advice, kind words - you all are simply THE best!  :-*  :-*  :-*

I am pleased to report we've weathered this storm and Donkey is back to his, well, donkey self.... and chasing one of my roommate's chihuahuas down the hall in meal-time play.  It is quite a site to see.

Now I am going to focus on educating myself on degenerative disc disease so I can best help Donks...  to keep him on all fours, for hopefully many years to come!