Author Topic: Another fun question...  (Read 7159 times)

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
Another fun question...
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:33:57 am »
Just a fun topic because I'm always curious...

How did you pick a name for your dog?
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Another fun question...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:37:55 am »
Great topic!!

Derby:  my friend Tracy had named Derby before I got him, but I know exactly why she named him that. Tracy's first love was horses. She had an Arabian she showed from elementary through high school. She named Derby after those famous horse races.

Kentucky: I guess her name is obvious now. Aaron and I found Kentucky next to a dumpster and didn't intend to keep her, but when we realized we couldn't give her up, we had to give her a name that went with Derby.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:57:51 am »
I actually picked the name Clifford before I even had the dog. I don't usually do it that way. I've always loved the children's books about Clifford the Big Red Dog and how he got bigger than their house. It was a very fitting name for a Newfoundland. The girl in all the Clifford books was named Emily which is my name.
I named Annie my Jack Russel after Little Orphan Annie because I got her at the Humane Society and also because I got her in Indiana (Indi- Annie)
I used to have a cat I named Pest because he liked to wake me up by licking my eyelashes and nose.
My last rabbit was named Winnie, partly after my favorite Disney character Winnie the Pooh and partly because of how much rabbits go as in Winnie the poo poo poo poo.
I also had a fish I named Fred. All the other fish died in my aquarium but one so I named him Fred as in soon to be Dead Fred. However he lived quite a long time after that.
Oh- I just realized the question was about dogs, guess I got carried away. ::) ;D

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:08:51 am »
OoOo I like this one...lol...Ev eryone has a good story, mine's just...whateve r hahaha

Monty-named him after the street I found him on "Montilla" It was too feminine for him, so I just called him Monty.

Roscoe- He didn't have a name for the first 4-5 days we had him, we started calling him "Wagz" but, it just didn't click... and then... Someone said "Roscoe" and that was it!

The End

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:12:46 am »
???don't know how this got in here...must have been my first trial:ofailed attempt???
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:18:40 pm by yellow_dog_mom »

jesday

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:14:48 am »
The breeder had named our bubs Cyrus and Saphire. Out here is a bakery chain that makes Cyrus O'Leary Pies. That just wouldn't do for a Newfie named after a pie company, but family liked the name. Upon research, Syrus was a great leader of the Persian Empire. Much more befitting a great dog.

Saphire just didn't fit Sophie. It didn't roll off the tongue easily and aside from the fact she is a gem, didn't work well. I wanted to name her Sadie, but once again I was out voted. Similar to Melissa, Sophie just fit her. She's our Sophie girl.

I love the Bava name. Sounds so Exotic and manly like. Who knew it meant slobber :D Perfect!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:17:48 am »
Hi,

Winslow was named after my Favorite campground in Freeport Maine. It sits right on Casco Bay and is an absolutely beautiful location!!

Plus everyone thinks the name just fits him perfectly!!

Winslow Memorial campground.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:54:59 am »
How fun!

Tipper was named when I adopted him from the shelter, but it fit him so well, I kept it. He has white tips on all 4 paws and on the tip of his tail.

Jenny was named at the rescue--her name was actually "JennyMae", I dropped the Mae part. She already knew Jenny, so it stuck. (My name is Jennifer, but never in my life have I gone by Jenny, so much so that I didn't really notice until later that we have the "same" name!)

Gabriel, my beloved Himalayan cat, was named after Peter Gabriel.

Melanie, my stray adopted cat, was named after my neighbor who helped me catch her after I found her huddling on a car engine in December...his name was Mel, so she became Melanie.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:32:38 am »
We love asian food and asian culture, so we picked a Japanese name theme. Tani means "sweetheart" and also "bull that charges randomly" (go figure!). Kai means "forgiveness". The kitties are also Japanese named - Kenji, Mika and Nishi. Even the ball python is named Tasia. Technically not an official Japanese name, but it's the name of a "sailor moon" type character. My son thought of Tasia and really wanted to use it, so I googled until I found a link to something Japanese. As an aside, my girls also have middle names, chosen only because they popped out of my mouth, and I use them when the girls are in trouble. I'm embarrassed to share that it's Tani Louise and Kai Jennifer.  :-[  NOT Japanese!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:37:28 am »
Dogs I currently have:

May..She came with the name.

Breeze...Here registered name is Vidor's Aura..Aura meaning windy or breezy in Hungarian. Breeders was already calling her Breeze and I like it, so we kept it.

Cruiser...Husb and came up with it since he is Black and White like an old Cop Crusier.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 10:49:57 am by VdogLover »

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 10:43:29 am »
Very fun topic!

Since my sister & brother-in-law are the official owners of the boys, they wanted to keep the boys names with K's.

Klondike was named because he is sweet like the Klondike ice cream bars.  (Klondike Bit O' Bear)

Kelso is named for the place where Braveheart is buried in Scotland and when he was a very small pup, he had a white patch on his black that was in the shape of a heart. (We have Scottish & Irish in our family background.)  (Kelso Brave O' Heart.)

Madison is named for the Madison river in Yellowstone National Park for our Dad.  He is an avid fly fisherman and this river is one of his favorite places to fish.  (Madison River O' Joy.)

McKayla is part from an old NJ Devils hockey player, named McKay.  Also, we have a nephew named Michael and I could have spelled Michaela this way too but, I wanted to be different.  (McKayla River O' Love.)

So we have the K & the M name theme going.  We have a family farm & have now rescued kittens & all of their names start with L.  Layla, Lily & Liam!    

Anita & the 4 Newfies from Jersey

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 01:13:11 pm »
Athena is her nickname but it is for the goddess of war..only applies if you are a cookie or a stuffed toy and then you are gonna feel like you've been in a war. Mandy & Millie were sisters so it rhymed... Baby was so little when I got him we just kept calling him the baby and it stuck. Wheet is actually Buhweet (named by my 2 ornery skin sons) I added the devil cat , well ...because she is. LOL
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 04:11:22 pm »
I asked teh question but forgot to answer... losing my mind.
Meli's registered name is Meli Kamahine (honey girl in Hawaiian) and she was born in Hawaii and raised there till the age of 2 when we brought her back with us. Ex was military and we lived there 3 years. Cats were subsequently named Hawaiian names...  Maui (the island) and Maea (means unpleasant odor.. she has some gas issues!) Kids wanted to name her stinky butt, and that was the closet I could find in Hawaiian. Timber came next and my daughter named him. We were told he was part newf and my daughter thought it would be funny to yell "TIMBER" as the big guy laid down! It stuck. But now its funny since he only grew to 70 pounds!  :)   
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline BlazerJo

• Gnawer
  • My Boys-Bill and Jack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 05:43:22 pm »
This is so FUN!  I love reading everyone's stories. 

Jack's original name was "Precious Baby."  Seriously...th e woman who dropped him off at the Co Hum Soc. left a note on the back of the paperwork.  She was told he was a beagle mix and wouldn't get over 30-40 lbs.  When I adopted Jack a week later he was 80 lbs and I understood why a single woman in an apartment had a hard time.  He has the energy of a Jack Russell and the Love of Jackamo Casanova, which we call him a lot. 

Bill is simply Bill because my husband wanted a Bloodhound named Bill.  Bill looked a lot more like a bloodhound when he was a pup. His name really does fit him. When he slobbers on a guest we tell them "You've been Billed."
Amy

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 06:11:15 pm »
This is fun, I love all the names, but Bava is the best  :D.

I named Ruffian after the racehorse, and my mom didnt like it, she said "you cant name a dainty little thing such an ugly name, then she met her  :D.  Ruffian is anything but dainty, she was as rough and tumble as they came, last to back out of a fight, and first to run away.  So Langan's Brushwood's Ruffian she is:

Tonkas breeder named him, she was coming up from the kennels one winter day and he was at the house, where all the puppies are, and he was standing on a little snow hill and looked like a truck, so Cintara's Tonka Toy he was named, later to be Ch. Cintaras Tonka Toy after a few shows:

And my big paw came with the name Gage, I thought about changing it, he was only 7 months I know we could have, but we could not agree on anything so he stayed Gage.  I had trouble getting used to it I wanted to call him Mac, a friends Mastiff, and Darby, another friends Mastiff, and Joey, which is a dog that we took care of for a few months, Gage just didnt seem like a dogs name  :D: