Author Topic: Sad Penny after her spay  (Read 12775 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Sad Penny after her spay
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:26:54 pm »
My baby Penny got spayed today. She looks so sad in her cone (pic to follow once I find the camera cable).

My question is: is it normal to have a small amoung of blood come from the staples? The did staples instead of stiches which I don't like because they look too loose, and a few minutes ago she whimpered and got off the bed and when she moved I saw a little spot of blood on the bed. It's only a tiny bit of blood but I don't remember this happening before. Should I be worried?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:16:40 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline BlazerJo

• Gnawer
  • My Boys-Bill and Jack
    • View Profile
Re: How much bleeding is normal after a spay
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:36:59 pm »
They didn't keep her over nite?  I'd definetly watch for swelling.  I'm sooo sorry.  I totally have a booboo face for both you right now.
Amy

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:04:17 pm »
They didn't keep her over nite?  I'd definetly watch for swelling.  I'm sooo sorry.  I totally have a booboo face for both you right now.

None of my girls (or boys) have ever been kept over night. I have normally picked them up a few hours after surgery.

I little drop of blood from the staple site is ok. If you see more blood then a drop or two or it continues tomorrow, I would give the vet a call.
Also be sure she does not get lay on anything that could possibly snag a staple and that she does not chew at them. I always found they come out easier then stitches do.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:17:16 pm »
No they didn't keep her overnight - our old vet did, but our current vet doesn't. Penny was done by noon and they kept her until 6:30 and now she's home and so sad looking. She's on pain meds and has eaten and had a little water, but she's obviously really sore. We had to lure her with hamburger rice just to get her outside to potty, and then later she had an accident while laying in her bed, so I had to take it away to clean it, and then I ran to the store to get a new one, but she hates the new one. And now she isn't even laying on a bed or a comforter but I don't want to make her if she'd rather be on the wood floor.

I still can't find the camera cable so I can't post the good pics from when she first got home, but he's a cameraphone pic of her right now
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:20:56 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline BlazerJo

• Gnawer
  • My Boys-Bill and Jack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:51 pm »
Both my boys were kept over nite.  It was really hard to be away from 'em.  I never asked why...bad mommy.
 :-[

Amy

jesday

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:41 pm »
Poor Penny baby. Hope she feels better really soon. Kisses for you sweet girl. :-* :-*

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:59 pm »
I wish they had kept her so they could keep her on the iv pain meds.

Right after I posted she got up and walked really fast to the door so I was really excited thinking she had energy to get up and wanted to potty. As soon as I got there she threw up. It was undigested - even though we fed her 2 1/2 hours ago (and a tiny bit of food as a test 1/2 hour before that). I had to take the cone off to clean it so I decided to leave it off for awhile. She's resting on a blanket now and looking a little happier without the cone but still pretty darn upset
RIP former BPO

Offline BlazerJo

• Gnawer
  • My Boys-Bill and Jack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:29:40 pm »
It sounds like it might be a long nite...again I'm sooo sorry. She'll be better tomorrow though! Here's some puppy angels for you both.
Amy

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Sad Penny after her spay
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:06:55 am »
Poor little girl :'( Wishing her speedy recovery :-*
I am sure she will be back to normal in a day or two :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 07:36:59 am »
Poor poor penny not fun having surgery!
Titan's cone was the same and he was TERRIFIED of it!!
I could not keep it on him he just stood in the hallway both feet and legs pressed against the wall and would not move... I HAD to take it off!
I was lucky; I was able to take 3 days off that rolled into a long weekend so we cuddled most of the days away! I kept the cone off during the day when i was home and at night once we has resting I quickly put it him but that lasted a couple hours and then it was off again. He never bothered with the stiches and so I never bothered with the cone!
Hope she is feeling mucho better soon!
Titan and I give big hugs and kisses! XOXOXO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 09:55:06 am »
She was wimpering through the night so I slept with her on the floor until the morning when she had enough energy to get on the bed.

She's got more energy now and has kept down her breakfast so far. I'm letting her keep the cone off when I can keep an egal eye on her, but I have to watch her closely cause she was trying to lick at her belly this morning when she had the cone on - it was so sad to see her with her little leg over the side of the cone so frustrated she couldnt't get to her belly.
RIP former BPO

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:02:28 am »
She was wimpering through the night so I slept with her on the floor until the morning when she had enough energy to get on the bed.

She's got more energy now and has kept down her breakfast so far. I'm letting her keep the cone off when I can keep an egal eye on her, but I have to watch her closely cause she was trying to lick at her belly this morning when she had the cone on - it was so sad to see her with her little leg over the side of the cone so frustrated she couldnt't get to her belly.

Thats good to hear!
I'm not sure what kind of bed she got on but be sure not to allow her to be getting off and on a raised human bed....unless of course you put her on and off.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 10:14:54 am »
be sure not to allow her to be getting off and on a raised human bed....unless of course you put her on and off.

We put her on and off the human bed. She sleeps on the the bed with us every night so she was only happy when she we put her on the bed with us.

I just discovered she has razor burn where they shaved her. I called the vet and they said its normal and I can put some neosporin on it... Poor girl  :(
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:16:44 pm »
it's such a hard surgory to have.  I'm glad it's a one time thing. 

Hope you feel better soon, Penny.