Author Topic: NDR: I don't understand...  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
NDR: I don't understand...
« on: July 25, 2008, 09:19:53 am »
Aaron and I really want to move to San Antonio (we're currently in south Louisiana).

About a month and a half ago I applied for a job as a store manager for Teavana. I had three great phone interviews and they even called and checked my references 'cause my current district manager said they had called her.

They had sent me an email last Friday, after I had left a voicemail and email inquiring about my status since it had been 2 weeks since my last interview, saying that they were meeting on Monday to decide on that position and would let me know my candidate status no later than Wed., July 23.

I didn't hear anything Wed., so I called and left a voicemail yesterday.

I got an email today saying I didn't get the job.

I don't understand. Do you think my not being in San Antonio has something to do with it? I'm so frustrated and depressed. I can't figure out where I screwed this up?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: NDR: I don't understand...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 10:15:37 am »
I would ask why you didn't get the job. You have a right to know. Especially if you were an internal candidate, that is just professional courtesy.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:21:00 am »
I did send a follow-up email asking for some feedback, "for my own personal growth". But, as difficult as it was to get a reply regarding my status each time I tried, I fully expect this email to be ignored.

But maybe that's my current frustration talking.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:24:08 am »
I'm really hoping that's all it is. And I hope they tell me, too.

My sister lives in San Antonio and she has a little guest house that is currently vacant. We're probably going to move there the beginning of Sept. and stay in her guest house to look for jobs and save up some money for a good down payment on a house of our own.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:37:19 am »
I just received this response:

"At this point, we are speaking with candidates that posses more applicable retail experience. We appreciate your interest and will keep you in mind for future San Antonio store openings. "

I am a store manager at Starbucks. It's not a huge leap from selling coffee to selling tea, right?  And, why give me three interviews if I didn't have applicable retail experience?

Something smells fishy to me. Or am I obsessing?

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:24:01 pm »
Jeanne - I am so sorry.... it is totally their loss!

Having gone so far in the interview process leads me to believe the decision was probably a geographic decision...  either way it sucks... and it is so their loss.

The response they sent sounds like a generic form response - how friggin' impersonal and so corporate America'ish (oh don't get me started on that!)

Worry not - there is a better job waiting for you in San Antonio!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:12:24 pm »
I'd want to know myself.  And an email is a little cold.

Some employers are hesitant to hire out of state people because of the time needed to move and find a place to live, etc.  but they knew the whole time that you lived out of town and still put you through the three interviews. 

Call them back and ask.  did they know you had a place to stay and moving would be pretty carefree? 

I agree though...there's another opportunity waiting for you and this one wasn't the one for you.  Keep looking.  it's there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:14:59 pm by Lin »

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 02:52:31 pm »
It would be helpful if, god forbid, you had a reference that didn't check out. You'd want to know if someone is not giving you a decent reference. Anyway, screw them. There's a better job in San Antonio for you! Can't you put in for a transfer with Starbucks?

P.S. Why the heck did Starbucks stop having the sugar free mocha? I'm not a coffee drinker, but I always get (got  :() a sugar-free hot chocolate, with the sugar free mocha in it. Now it's GONE! How am I supposed to get caffeine and still avoid sodas AND carbs without my sugar-free hot chocolate from Starbucks? But, I digress. This is not about me and my beverage preferences. Sorry... :P
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 03:39:36 pm »
It would be helpful if, god forbid, you had a reference that didn't check out. You'd want to know if someone is not giving you a decent reference. Anyway, screw them. There's a better job in San Antonio for you! Can't you put in for a transfer with Starbucks?

P.S. Why the heck did Starbucks stop having the sugar free mocha? I'm not a coffee drinker, but I always get (got  :() a sugar-free hot chocolate, with the sugar free mocha in it. Now it's GONE! How am I supposed to get caffeine and still avoid sodas AND carbs without my sugar-free hot chocolate from Starbucks? But, I digress. This is not about me and my beverage preferences. Sorry... :P

There aren't any job openings listed on our company site for Starbucks, but I did put in a call to my district manager today and asked her to check for me if she could hear of anything coming down the pipeline or try to arrange some kind of a transfer for me. They have a big push right now to reduce turnover so maybe she'll put some extra effort into it.

As for Sugar Free Mocha, they discontinued it because you were one of only about 5 people who actually liked the taste of it. Sorry. I, myself, was excited to see them come out with it, but when I tasted it found it to be really disgusting - and it stained our hands. kinda scary.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 03:40:49 pm »
Ali makes a good point. Maybe I'm paranoid, but why don't you have a friend call and check your references?

That's not a bad idea, because that thought had crossed my mind as well. And, since my DM already knows that I've applied for jobs outside the company, she probably wouldn't be suspicious.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 03:54:15 pm »
OK, since you were a recruiter, if I did decide to do this what questins can they ask?

I know you are limited to what kind of information you can ask for these days for all kinds of legal reasons.

Also, everyone, thank you so much for your support and ego boosting. I've been so down in the dumps today 'cause I was sure I had this job and we really, really want to move and get out of this little backwards town and to a place where there's more to do than just go to the mall or the movie theatre.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 04:02:30 pm »
Me and the other 4 people forgive Starbucks for taking away the sugar-free mocha. If it stains hands, lord knows what it's doing to our 5 bodies! LOL!  :-*
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 05:35:32 pm »
great info. and suggestions.

Aaron is going to call my references on Monday.

Thanks.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 07:14:10 pm »
a reference can legal only tell someone that you work(ed) there and you had or did not have good attendance.  anything else (especially unfavorable) is open to scrutany.  But it's a good idea to call them and see what they had to say.  Maybe get some tips from them as to how to attack another interview with someone else.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 08:36:35 pm »
If they are still looking at candidates for the position, can you call them and tell them you will be in San Antonio to see family and see if you can meet with them face to face?  That might make them feel better about making the job offer with you being out of state.  Or you could do that for your next job interview for the even better job you are going to find in SA. 

I do know what I have been told is that legally your employer can only tell if you are working or did work for the company and what your rehire status is. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience