Author Topic: Here to stray? (long) (updated with Pictures)  (Read 11052 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Here to stray? (long) (updated with Pictures)
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:32:58 pm »
For some reason Mikes parents are a magnet for stray dogs.  Somehow they always find their way onto their property, it's been like that for more then 20 years.  ???

Today the sweetest little Border Collie found his way to their house.  This poor baby is in just terrible condition, his coat is matted and dirty.  It's actually woven itself around this poor babies coller.  Yup that's right, he's got a coller, but no tags.  They haven't fed him or anything in hopes that he'll get bored and go home, but I seriously think he doesn't have a home, just based on the condition of his coat and how skinney the poor boy is.  If he's still there tomorrow I'll try to take some pictures for you guys, I'd still be there now trying to clean him up a bit but I had to be at work.

So I guess what my question is, if he's still there tomorrow, what would you suggest I do with him?  I'd like to clean him up a bit and take him to a vet to see if he's microchipped, but I really can't afford to take any animals to the vet right now.  Would the vet charge me, or would they do it out of the kindness of their hearts?  How should I go about trying to de-matt him?  he seems really sweet, but even the sweetest stray can bite if scared or hurt by hair being pulled.  Should I just get out the shears?  I mean his entire body is covered in what seems like one solid mass of fur, and it's all covered in poo and other nastyness around his privets.

Poor baby, it just breaks my heart.  :'( 
Any advice anyone has would be hugely appreciated.  By both Einstien and I.  (Mikes 5 year old son decided to name him Einstien because he's got crazy hair  ;))

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 02:09:29 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Here to stray? (long)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:38:05 pm »
If he is still there tomorrow I would call the nearest breed rescue and see if they can take him.  , If they cant,  maybe a trip to the vet is in order, followed by the groomer's, unless you can do it yourself.
I cant even imagine the pain he must be in if his coat is that matted!
Let us know what happens.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 05:43:00 am »
The animal control department in our town has a microchip scanner - you can see if the town your mother is in has one as well.  Otherwise, I would also call the vet and ask the dog to be scanned (for free).

Best of luck

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:11:47 am »
No vet will charge you for bringing in a stray. I found two yorkies in a small crate at the park a few months ago, and took them to the nearest vet. Not only did they scan the pups, but they worked with AVID to track down where the pups came from, AND they did exams, AND they kept the pups there and found them homes. All I did was find them and bring them in! You'll probably find your local vet to be very helpful...Good luck!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:53:42 pm »
Thanks for all the graat advice!

Yup the dog is still there, I brought over some food, and my grooming tools.  Made a muzzle, cut the coller off of his neck.  His skin was raw and blistery from the coller, his fur had literally woven itself into the fabric of the coller.  He was pretty good about letting me try to get the matts out of his fur for about an hour or so, I hit a sore spot and he tried to bite me, but after a stern NO, he tried to suck up apologetically (sp?).  I'm going to take him to the vet close by in Belmont tomorrow probably.  No time today, I've got to be at school soon, and I don't have a carrier big enough for him.

I'll keep you guys updated on his progress though.
Thanks again for the advice!
 :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:59:50 pm »
Aw, poor munchkin. I bet he feels better already after your TLC. Definitely get him scanned. The vet shouldn't charge you anything. You might want to ask for a capstar while you're there - it's only a few bucks and it will kill all the fleas on him in a few hours. If he's that matted, I would imagine he's saturated with fleas and a good flea shampoo probably won't get them all.

This won't prevent any fleas from coming back, but will at least get him flea-free to start.

Can't wait to see those pictures you promised.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:16:48 pm »
i've definately called the Animal Control with a few stray dogs, and they typically will be able to let you know what to do.  Good luck though!  i can't imagine how hard it is to see such an innocent little guy in discomfort! :(
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »
Here are some after pics.  His back end is still pretty matted as he won't let anyone go near it, I want to get him a decent muzzle before I attempt to do that.  ;)  I also suspect he might be either deaf, or extremely hard of hearing,  I walked up to him earlier today from behind, talking and clapping my hands, and he didn't even notice me until I startled him almost right beside him.  Another example, Mike brought his motorcycle over to his parents place to wash it, he had it right beside the dog, revving it really loud, it didn't even phase the old boy.

Anyways, without further adoo.  Introducing Philmore!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=135098&l=0a6b2&id=777150289

Sorry, I had to use a link, I'm such a dork, I have NO idea how to compress files!  lol   ::) :-[ :D

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Re: Here to stray? (long) (updated with Pictures)
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 02:25:45 pm »
What the H-E-L-L is wrong with people!!!!  Who could let a beautiful dog like that run away and not look for it or anything.....G ood for you and your mom in and clean him up and get him on his feet again!
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:55:03 pm »
Wow he is gorgeous and his eyes are AMAZING!!  Thank you for taking him in and cleaning him up.  Poor baby!!

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 05:19:48 pm »
He is beautiful!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:15:20 pm »
What a face... those eyes!
Poor thing.... just breaks my heart. You are so awesome for taking care of him.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 11:24:52 pm »
Wow! I was expecting some scraggly-looking almost-border collie, but he is gorgeous. I know, everyone has used that word, but nothing else suits him (although stunning was good, too). He is a beauty and he looks like a sweetie, too. He certainly looks like you did a good job cleaning him up. Good luck finding his home, or finding him a new home.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:00:39 am »
We've been contacting the local animal rescues and spca's.  NObody has reported a missing dog.  It's not uncommon in those parts for old farm dogs to get dropped off when they're no longer useful to their owners. 

The good news is however that my dad is going to go out to meet him this weekend with his Jack Russel PIMA.  If all goes well, Philmore will be coming home with him!  YAY!

Keep fingers crossed that dad, Philmore, and PIMA all get along!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »
Yay!! I hope Dad sees the beauty in Philmore.

Is PIMA an acronym for "Pain In My A**?"

That's hilarious!