Author Topic: Child Care (Fur baby care)  (Read 1688 times)

jesday

Child Care (Fur baby care)
« on: July 29, 2008, 07:57:57 am »
Eeek, I was reading the posts on leaving bubs out in fenced yards for periods of time and now I don't know what to do.

We have to travel occasionally without our babies and boarding is a huge problem for me. The first time looked like a great facility - The dogs have huge outdoor runs where they could interact with others all day and brought in at night. When we picked them up they were filthy, covered with mud, and Sophie started submissive peeing. Syrus was extremely subdued.

Second time, new place similar results. Breaks my heart to have my kids so upset.

We are in the process of fencing in about 1 acre around our house and my next thought is to have a pet sitter come out, let them out during the day then put them inside garage at night. (The garage is bub proofed and where they stay at night already). But now I'm not liking that idea, but don't want them to have to be inside all day except for pet sitter twice a day visit.

My mom at 85 with health issues can't house sit anymore and my sister has a unique idea of pets (ie. they should be free).

What are opinions for better of three choices? Inside/outside?
Look for yet another facility?
Let them stay home but confined?

lookingfornewf

Re: Child Care (Fur baby care)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:03:49 am »
With my Jack Russel I used to have a petsitter come to the house a couple times a day to check on her. She had a doggie door to go in and out and an automatic feeder. With Clifford too now when I went away for a week I got a high school kid to live in for the week with his mom and another adult checking in periodically. Whenever possible I prefer to leave them at home.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:04:09 am »
Could you ask someone to come and live in your house? Like a student who need extra cash? I know bunch of people who have more than one dog that do this. It could be a son or daughter of your friends or family  :-\

It is always hard to find a good place that you will be happy with and pups will like it there. I myself, went to a bunch of kennels and I just can't leave my dog there. I am stressed out just by looking around and seing all those dogs bark and cry :(

Emily, I guess we posted the same idea at ones ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:05:37 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:09 am »
I have used a pet sitter when TIm and I went on vacation for a week. I was still potty training and I wanted to make sure we stayed on schedule. The pet sitter came three times a day. Morining walk and feeding, mid day walk and play and then evening walk and feeding. Tink had full run of the garage and a doggie door to an outside kennel. A friend came over about 10:00pm and let her out once more and spent the night. She let her out once more in the morning before going to work (6:00am). Then the pet sitter started her rounds again. She was an awesome sitter, she used to be professional groomer so she was great with dogs. She had insurance and back up if something happened to her that she could not make it out (sickness/accident). I visited about 6 kennels and just could not bring myself to leave her at one. I think they do so much better at home if you can swing it. Good Luck!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

AudgePadge

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:03:19 am »
try Care.com
They have a list of house sitter, dog-walkers, etc.  Maybe you'll find someone that will be a good match!  Good luck