Author Topic: Yearly Vaccines.  (Read 8329 times)

Lyn

Yearly Vaccines.
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:25:59 am »
Bubba and Lola are due for their yearly vaccines plus rabies. Yearly rabies is required by law here but I don't feel yearly boosters are neccessary. Every 2-3 years sure but not every year. Plus I don't like giving both shots at the same time.

Another problem is both of them had reactions last year. Bubba had a large lump that took 3 months to disappear and Lola was left with a 'dent' in the muscle that took all year to 'fill in' and they were both under the weather for 48 hours.

I would love to skip them entirely this year.. although I know it's illegal for me not to get their rabies vacs. I called the clinic to voice my concerns and spoke with a tech about it and found out they will not spay Lola unless she is given her yearly vaccinations plus rabies. >:( Bubba on the other hand I can just give the rabies and nothing more.

I don't know what to do. My vet is generally awesome but when it comes to surgery they are required to be 'fully' vaccinated prior. Luckily I had Bubba neutered before his vaccinations were due. Lola on the other hand was in heat when hers were due. I could take Lola in for just the rabies shot and put off the spay until next year or over-vaccinate her and do it now.  :-\

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:26:59 am by Lyn »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Yearly Vaccines.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:55:43 am »
It is very easy actually. All you have to do is ask to run their titer tests. I paid $75 for DHP one just last month. EVERY vet should accept it.
Here, the vaccination protocol had changed and was sent to all vet schools and practices. Yearly boosters are not in order anymore. I have to dig out an announcement. 

Found it  ;D

http://www.tahoecanaandogs.com/NewVaccineProtocol.pdf
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:03:49 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:05:10 am »
No not that I'm aware of. Rabies is required yearly here.

I asked about titers last year and he said they didn't do them. I'll have to mention it again.

He said for surgery they are required, any other other time I can skip them with the exception of the rabies vaccination.

I wish they would change the vaccination protocols everywhere. This is really ticking me off.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:08:28 am »
You could do it elsewhere and bring results with you. They usually take a little blood sample and mail it to the lab. I get my results within 2 days  :)
Mary W. Crane

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:25:11 am »
I would go to another vet, they have a 3 year rabies vaccine, most vets are now using it. For the other vaccines I just titre every year.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 11:26:43 am »
I also do the DHP titer and here it's about $80, so about the same as Olesya said.  For example, Daisy had her vaccines right on schedule for the first 7 years and now the last 2 years we've done the titer instead and her levels have remained very high so vaccines haven't been required.  Her levels are probably so high b/c of all of the vaccines that she received over the years.  I do wish that I'd known then what I know now, or I'd have been doing titer's a long time ago.  I should say though that we still give the rabies vaccine right on schedule.  I really, really hate to risk over vaccinating (a big concern for me), but I also don't want to risk one of my dogs biting someone and not being UTD on rabies.   :-\  That scares me.

I'd definitely suggest the titer if it's an option for you.  For their safety it's very reassuring to know that they have a high immunity level, and you can avoid vaccine reactions.  Will your vet accept a titer as proof of DHP immunity and still spay?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 11:31:49 am »
I'm going to call the other clinics around here and see if they do titers. If not.. then I'll wait as long as possible. Lola's next heat isn't due until December/January. I don't want to deal with another heat so I definitely want her spayed before then. November would put her at 17 months between boosters if it comes to that. Crossing my fingers for titers. LOL

Nina I just read that they do have 1yr and 3yr vaccines here. I'm pretty sure my vet is using the 1yr. I'm going to check with him and find out if he also has the 3yr.

I have no problem getting the rabies.. even if I'm stuck with the 1yr, it's the damn boosters required for surgery that I'm fuming about.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:29:40 pm »
I know nothing about Canada or the proper spaying protocol, but 3-yr rabies vaccines are actually encouraged at my vet's office.  And they're more than happy to hold off on other innoculations and/or draw titers.  Keep calling 'til you find a place that will either give you what you want/need or at least a reasonable explanation why they won't or can't.

** edited for clarity **  :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:30:38 pm by jennifer »
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 01:56:48 pm »
I think you may want to think about shopping around for another vet as well.
i understand their need for having a dog up to date on their vacc. but they should accept a titer test as proof the dog does or doesn't need shots.
My current vet not only has a 3 yr rabies, but a 3 yr DHPP as well.  Still need to get lepto every year, but I'm debating doing that one next year.  They also will spread out the shots......... they don't like to do both 3 yrs the same year.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:09:23 pm »
Alright... I am feeling like a complete kindergartener!!! I didnt even know there was an issue with vaccinating every year. I just take my dog in every time I get the postcard and they get shots and I drop a few hundred bucks! Can someone give me the pros and cons... which shots to avoid if possible.. which to get the titer for?
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:19:24 pm »
Can someone give me the pros and cons... which shots to avoid if possible.. which to get the titer for?
Here is an outstanding website with great info:

http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/index.htm

Mary W. Crane

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 04:53:26 pm »
Alright... I am feeling like a complete kindergartener!!! I didnt even know there was an issue with vaccinating every year. I just take my dog in every time I get the postcard and they get shots and I drop a few hundred bucks! Can someone give me the pros and cons... which shots to avoid if possible.. which to get the titer for?

You arent alone is this one. :-[  Kira just had her shots done this month.  I will definitly discuss this with our vet next year for both Gunner and Kira.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 06:56:05 pm »
Wow - time for a new vet.  That kind of bullying for their own profit is unconscionable . I know you are in Canada, but here in the U.S. both the AAHA and the AVMA have issued vaccine protocols in stark contrast to this:

http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?ID=196&sid=1

No vaccine should be administered more frequently than every 3 years and even this is now understood to be unnecessary, and in some cases, harmful depending on breed.

The Rabies Challenge Study is working on proving what was already proven by the French Study for Europe - that the Rabies vaccine lasts at least 7 years and usually for life of the animal.  This isn't a protection issue for the animal, but merely a bureaucratic requirement not supported by the science.

Dr. Schultz, who performs the vaccine safety studies for most vaccine manufacturers argues that puppy vaccines of core vaccines only are important, and like us, no longer needed afterwards except what is required by law (rabies).

It is ridiculous to require a bunch of vaccines to do a surgery - this is complete conflict with current science.  Vaccines tie up the immune system for at least 2-3 weeks - this is why they say to not take your pup out...the system is busy responding to the vaccine and not able to be responsive to something else if necessary.  It is the equivalent to having a suppressed immune system during this time - this is NOT the time to be putting your pet under anesthesia and through a major surgery.  Ridiculous!

I know so many people in Ontario with great holistic vets like Dr. Eddie Beltran - I know it is a big provence but I hope you can find a good one near you - this vet sounds ready to be put to pasture and must be from the 1940s.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:29:50 am by sc.trojans »
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar