Author Topic: Food question(s)  (Read 5466 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Food question(s)
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:55:59 pm »
I was on a quest today.

Mainly, I was looking for fish shops.  I went to several, but didn't find what I was looking for and only one looked pleasant to visit.  So if anyone in the west/southwest Chicago area knows of a good one, please let me know.  I may have to go and order online.  Looking for algae eating shrimp, my last one died.  My other fish I get at work.

At the same time i was also looking to see what, if any dog foods they carried as i am looking to switch brands.  Of course the last place i went to had the most variety....... ..lol. 

Are any of you familiar with Fromms?  I know it is a good brand of food so that's not my concern.  But some of the info the lady was giving me just confused me.  ???

i realize meat based foods and grain based foods are different. But is protein from meat different from protein from grains?  I had always thought protein is protein, even if meat is better (maybe I answered my own question?).  Can someone clarify what exactly is different?  ???

Also.......... .I currently buy 3 different kinds of foods for my dogs. I think she was under the impression that I don't want to do that anymore b/c she said that with Fromms' they can all eat the same food.  It is an all stages food, which to me means all stages of life, not necessarily made for all types of dogs.

Currently Gunther gets large breed, Keiko is on senior, and Nigel and Posey are on a high energy food.  Would the basic Fromm formula work for all of them?  Gunther and Keiko could probably eat less (although Keiko can't eat much less she already only eats 3 cups a day, after upping it 1/4 cup), but Nigel and Posey would have to eat more.  I would think they do need a high fat content to keep up with their metabolism.

What do you all think about having them all on one food?  I actually like buying the different kinds.  Keiko absolutely loves her current food, and being a senior her nutritional needs are a bit different as well, especially when it comes to watching her weight.  She's a little piggie.  ;D

Pricewise, it sounds like a good deal and will be cheaper than their current food, even after my discount if I can cut Gunther down by at least 2-3 cups.  She does not carry their large breed formula (except in puppy, and special orders it for one client) as she says it's not necessary.  Nor does she carry senior.  Only the adult
Gold fomula (one she recommended):
Crude protein: not less than 24%
Crude fat: not less than 16%
Calorie Content:
kcal/gm: 4.070 | kcal/lb: 1,850 | kcal/cup: 405
She also carries the classic forumla and I think all the 4-star formulas, but she said the gold one would be most cost effective for me as she could get me a breeder bag (40lbs) which they kept in back.  Bags in the main part of the store were 33 lbs.

Currently their foods are as follows:
Gunther: protein content b/t 24-26% (depending on flavor I got)
fat content: 12-13%
318-0323 kcal/cup

Keiko: protein: 20%
fat: 10%
268 kcal/cup

Nigel and Posey: protein: 30%
fat: 20%
396 kcal/cup

Sorry this is so long.  it looks like a good food, but I'm just not sure about having everyone on the same formula.  Thoughts?

Offline daytrippers

• Ankle Biter
  • NM Daytrippers and the ZOO
    • View Profile
Re: Food question(s)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »
My father feeds it to his English Bulldog.  He feeds the Four-Star Nutritionals.
 They state that the "Four-Star is formulated for all life stages and is suitable for puppies, adults, and senior dogs."  He swears by it.  There is a lot of info on the web, but ultimately the decision is yours to make.  I can't afford it with 8 dogs, 3 cats and a donkey to feed!
Loki-Golden            Poncho the Donkey(no joke)
Abby-Rot/Lab cross     Oden-Blue Heeler
Zeus-Corgi/Pit cross   Harley-Shep/Chow cross
Shadow-Heinz 57        Roxy-Malinois pup
                Bo-Lab R.I.P. 8/08

jesday

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:12:49 pm »
I can't give you the scientific breakdown of protein, but yes, there are different types. Fowl protein is different from beef protein which is different from lamb, etc. Even among the same catagory. Duck is different from chicken. Most vets will have you change foods when trying to find food allergies by changing up protein source. Taking a dog off beef and trying venison for example.

The grain additives are not for protein, but for carbohydrates. Rice, corn, etc. If a vet wants to check other food allergies they may have you change from a grain carb to a potato carb.

The legume family (beans, lentils) have the proteins if you are going for a vegetarian diet.

As for Fromms and what truly is the best for your dogs, I'm afraid you will find as many answers as there are dog foods. They all make sense to me (except vegetarian, they're carnivors for goodness sake). And I am going through a similar confusion myself as to what is best for my babies.

Just thought I'd give you a little Cliff Claven about the protein.  ;) 

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:18:19 pm »
Alot of reading but this should answer your is protein protein question

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/contrast.html
http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/protein.html

Heres a few quotes:

Carbohydrates are useful to dogs and cats for readily burnable fuel for all kinds of muscular and metabolic activities.  Cheap and easily produced sources of carbohydrates are such items as rice, corn, wheat, barley and soy.  Hmmmmmmm... sounds like what some pet food manufacturers are commonly using as their first choice for a diet’s foundation. Some even claim these plant products to be an excellent sources of protein! nutrition list seventeen plant products including ground rice, corn, wheat, oats, barley, alfalfa and others as sources of carbohydrates.  In fact, one of the benefits of carbohydrates, so say the experts, is that they are protein sparing.

"In general, high-quality animal source proteins provide superior amino acid balances for companion animals, compared with the amino acid balances that are supplied by grain proteins.  The protein in grains is not as balanced or available as the protein in high-quality animal sources…" 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:58:39 pm by VdogLover »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:11:04 pm »
got some fish info for you!

Have you been to Tropiquatics? http://www.tropi-quatics.com/

My brother hasn't been there in years but he said when he used to go that it was fantastic.

There's also Coral Reef Pet Center in Norridge. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=aquarium+chicago&ie=UTF8&ll=42.061529,-87.758102&spn=0.252853,0.543137&z=11&iwloc=J

There's always Old Town Aquarium (in, well, Old Town), but the prices are outrageous!

He also said that you can buy them online no problem.  Any place that sells them on-line knows how to pack them so they'll be fine in shipping.

Good luck!

I did not know about those first two place, the Tropi-Quatics place looks really nice!  I had seen the Old Town Aquarium when I was looking online yesterday.

I looked at buying online too but looks like everywhere only sells shrimp in bulk and I only need 2 or 3. :P  So I'll see if somewhere carrys them in stock or can order them for me.

Thanks for the links, Julie, I'll def. check out the tropi place.