Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 15798 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 11:34:21 pm »
You have a beautiful family!!! I can't wait to see more pics of them.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 01:05:19 am »
Welcome!  Your pups are adorable & I especially love the "Black Velour Bow" hat.  Really beautiful! 

I'm so sorry about your losses but I'm glad that you found us.  I hope that being "around" a bunch of fellow dog lovers will give you some comfort.  I found BPO while mourning my Halley and it helped me a lot.  Again, welcome.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 06:06:13 am »
I would love any info on koms you have to offer! I haven't found any kom owners yet, but the pyr owners have been great.

She passed her basic obedience and we are taking advanced classes twice a week for the socialization and to help keep her in check. She is definately an independent thinker and wants to be the dominant dog. But she also has the lab personality too. Endless energy and when she wags her tail her whole body spasms. She is a great girl.

My only real compaint is her "mouthing" She greats people with her mouth. Not a bite, but your hand or clothing goes straight to her mouth until you start paying attention to her. It's her way of getting your attention, but is scary to some people who don't know her - she is all teeth.

But I wouldn't trade her for the world.

She is still shedding her puppy coat. She was solid black with white paws when I got her at 8 weeks. She is slowly turning a smoky gray with white legs now. Do their coats normally change like this? Once she gets her adult coat, will she continue to shed. I was told they don't or at least shed very little.

Welcome again.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 06:36:53 am »
Hello and welcome! Your wolfies are as beautiful as your hats. I can't wear hats because my head's too BIG. :-\ But I can certainly appreciate your stunning craftsmanship.

I admit to a secret longing for irish wolfhoundsand can't wait to see more pics!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline BigIrishDogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 10:11:59 am »
Wow, thanks to so many people for making me feel welcome here!
Thanks Jennifer for the compliments on my hats, I am not trying to sell you any as I am way busy and do not "need" more, but truthfully, a milliner that makes handmade hats can fit any size head, I have loads of clients with giants head! Don't let that stop you if you really do want to wear hats!

TinksMom,
Koms are a very special breed, and although I have a deep love for them, I will not have another, it took years (well all 10 years of his life) to get him to live in society. With a Kom you can never stop being alpha, never. Now, our boy was the alpha male of a litter of 10, so he was worse then usual. Even at the end of his life, when he was very ill, he challenged us daily for that alpha spot (that is MINE!) But he was the funniest, and smartest dog I have ever owned, and I have owned 13 breeds of dogs! Daily that dog entertained us!
The mouthing is a big Kom trait, we chose not to allow it, knowing our boy, but it was not easy. One time when he was a pup he tried to mouth a strange man on a walk, hubby pulled him back, and the guy screaming "Your dog bit be!"  It was just that he was big, and guarded, and you can't see their eyes people are wary of Komondors.
In terms of the coat, it is hard to say what will happen with the mixture, Koms tend to start their cording around 10 months, and should be fully corded by 2 years. You may have cording, you may not. I would not expect full cords from a mix, but you may need to even clip the hair or brush it all the time to prevent mats. Their hair is especially designed to "mat" and it is quite hard to manage to avoid that tendency!
Full Komondorok will not shed at all, once corded huge cords fall off, but no individual hairs, and Koms are all white so the only change of color is a slight greying as undesirable things start to get intwined in that hair!

I don't think I have any pics of Vlad on my digital camera, but I will look around and post one if I do.
Hope this helps!

Offline BigIrishDogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 10:14:58 am »
GrumpyBunny- I love the username  ;D
You are a smart woman to be in love with Cluey, he is everyone favorite that knows my dogs, there is just something about him!
Thanks for the welcome!

Offline BigIrishDogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:19:15 am »
Scootergirl,
Thanks for the compliments, your dogs are so cute! Are you in Kentucky? That may be why you like hats, but it is funny that you don't wear them! I do that with vintage clothes, I used to wear them, but now that I do almost strictly doggie things, there is not much need, and still I buy them!

Offline BigIrishDogs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 10:25:48 am »
You bet I can, send it on!

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 10:32:30 am »
Thanks for the advice. I am really not worried about her temperment. She is a sweet girl, just over enthusiastic in especially around kids - must be her lab part. She isn't afraid of anything, storms, people, places, etc. She has been in puppy/obedience class since 10 weeks and she is now 7 months old. We hold class at different locations so they can be introduced to new environments with our trainer handy to help out. She has been absolutely amazing with her training. She learns very quickly and seems to like it. She wants everyone to know how smart she is. We work daily on the mouthing though. She will go weeks without doing it and is back at it again but she has never "bit" anyone. I love her coat, it does take daily brushing at this point given she is shedding her puppy fur, but it is soo soft and thick. I am definately not interested in letting it cord - too much maintenance! She is very pretty and "interesting" dog, I can't wait to see how she grows up. You will probably be hearing from me again with questions as she grows.

Thanks.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)