Author Topic: Training in multiple dog homes? How do you guys do it?!  (Read 7077 times)

Offline da-bear

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Training in multiple dog homes? How do you guys do it?!
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:03:10 am »
Both of my dogs (one big-paw, one not quite so big) are pathetically trained.  The smaller dog (Stella) is amazingly smart and knows many more commands than Millie, but i find it so hard to train at home with the both of them.  I've read books where they tell you to shut one dog in a room while you train your new dog but one dog will whine and cry if she is missing out on the action.  Doesn't matter if she gets to go next or already got her training bits. 

How do you guys do it?  They compete for the treat and i think it is distracting to them when i try to have a training session with the both of them.  Any ideas? 

By the way:  It looks like "Stay" is finally sticking for us (its been a real battle) and i'm really excited about it.   :D

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: Training in multiple dog homes? How do you guys do it?!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 11:24:20 am »
Your preaching to the choir.....my new pup is out of control and the poms only train when and if they feel like it - treat or not.... I thought about hiring a trainer but everyone here in vegas is about 800.00 or more...that is a lot for me right now.
Timmie

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:26:52 am »
wish i could help by i am also going through the same thing with my dane. she is bull headed but very smart. she learned to sit and lay down in 10 min but wont stop pawin or jumping..hmmmm m selective learning?LOL

ANGEL

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 11:34:56 am »
It takes a lot of patience and many attempts. 

Like you I concentrate on one dog at a time while the other watches.  I go from Lady to Grace teaching the same trick.  The one not getting a treat will realize she's not left out and that she will get her turn.   That's a trick in itself too...teaching them they aren't left out and to wait their turn.  I don't know how I got so lucky.

The tougher the trick the longer it takes and some dogs don't want to do certain tricks. Lady hates roll over and play dead...but Grace loves them. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 11:36:08 am »
too bad you're not closer....I'd love to help. 
Just be patient and firm with the one who's turn it's not and they will learn.  The whining gets to ya I know.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 11:44:37 am »
If you have more than one set of hands you can work them both at once on lead like you would do in obedience classes, however if only you, work them alone and lock one out or in.  I like working them together they have to learn not only individually but also as a unit to listen and obey the commands you give.  Shana
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 11:56:11 am »
I like working them together too...simply because they learn by watching each other too.

ann

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 12:36:23 pm »

its a bit harder but can be done i took my to classes seperate...and at home i'll put 2 outside and work with one its worked well for me...i can get them to all sit lay and come at the same time.......... i do however have a problem when someone comes to the house they mug them they don't jump up but start to bark and growl at each other and i can't realy walk my boxers together just my akita and a boxer......... .

ann

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 02:38:11 pm »
I work with both of mine together also ... most of the easy commands (sit, wait, down) were a snap because the younger dog learned from the older one. Working on heel was a little harder having the "baby" around. The younger saw the older one on a leash and thought it was her golden opportunity to tackle him while his attention was diverted and he was restrained!  Whatta sneak! :D
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline MuttigreeMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 03:33:12 pm »
My two also hate to be seperated, but I found a way around it.

When I'm working with one, the other gets locked in the cage (or another room) with a kong stuffed with either peanut butter or cream cheese. Whoever has the kong doesnt even know the other one is missing because s/he's too busy stuffing his/her face.

Then, when I'm done training the first one, the other gets locked up with the kong and the one who was locked up first gets trained. Worked lovely.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 05:15:14 pm »
Depending on what it is, depends on how they're seperated.  My dogs are all trined with NILIF, so they have to sit before they get anything.  If I have treats, the oldest dog sits, and the puppies, well they aren't really puppies anymore..... but they sit as well.  When it comes to recalls, leash work, stays, I don't really want the distractions, so I'll put two outside, or take one to the park, or something.  Sanity can leave whenever and the other two are OK (Because He goes back and forth between houses anyways), Hobo can leave and Araby's fine, but if Araby leaves Hobo flips out.  Luckily Araby is pretty well trained, so she doesn't have training sessions on her own very often. 

Giving each dog individual attention is SO important I can't even stress it.  If you don't they get this pack mentality, like "Who needs you?  I've got them!"

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
:o ::) ;)I think this is a The Trouble two's has any else's large breed doing this? her biting is over well molly please let's hope molly does not bite!! We will make sure of it!!I am Kennel them Side By Side!!will have Great Shot's!!l,m,l! ::) :-*
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline da-bear

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 10:37:50 am »
Thanks for all of your advice!

In response to Anky - I use the NILIF techniques, too.  I'm pretty sure one dog has helped the other with that concept, so that's worked out well.
I'm in a similar situation with seperating them, though.  Stella FREAKS OUT if either of us leaves the house and has started teaching Millie that if someone leaves that she should freak out, too.  This is very frusterating as when someone goes out to just throw the trash, Stella is jumping on the couch scratching at the window, whining and crying.  This mostly happens when my boyfriend walks out the door - if i'm still inside, it makes no difference, she still gets stressed out. 
What do you do when Hobo gets like that?  I've tried giving them treats and things when my BF leaves so they associate it with something good, but i'm afraid of treating them when they're in that state because it might reward the stressed behavior.
maybe i should start another thread about this...

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 12:03:31 am »
When I'm working with my crew, I put the others on downstays or in "places" (couch, chair, blanket..etc)while I'm working with an individual dog.  Repetion works wonders.  ;)   If they get up or out of their "place" I just say "AHT!" and put them back.  If that was too difficult for the other dog, then I'd leash them to their spot.  Try to work so that its easiest for the dog to succeed than to fail.  If something is too hard, take a step backwards and end on something the dog CAN do.   

I always try and keep everyone within sight of the dog I'm working with, if I crated or locked them away they would get extremely upset.  So I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone.  :)  It helps doing it this way then they all learn to listen to you while they're together instead of paying attention to each other(a plus when having a 6-pack  lol)  Now I can play fetch and have them all stay while 1 fetches.. or 2 or 3...  But it takes baby steps to get there.  :)

An idea to help Stella to calm down would be to have a special bone, hoofie, chew or kong that she only gets when he's going out the door(it has to be extra amazing in her eyes to).  Then when he comes back in, pick it up and put it away.  If that doesn't work try a sound to break her attention and then when she looks to you, find a toy or something.  The trick to training dogs isn't to get them to NOT do things, its to teach them what you want them to do instead.

The most important phrase I ever learned in dog training is my personal doggie motto.

"Interupt, redirect, & praise"

By doing that you can untrain just about any bad behavior.  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Training in multiple dog homes? 8 mo,Saint 8 week old saint Bernard!!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 06:22:47 pm »
 Maggie is 8mo,we are getting molly tue we wonder how she maggie will act?she love's other's dog's we also have two toy poodle's she love's them,we wanted her to have the same breed,to run with,any suggestion's for training,maggie is doing good,intrudtion,? We plan on kenneling her too,let her sleep next to her,hope they get close!!maggie is even listening to us when we tell no!! that is amaxing!! she is smart!! ;) :-*wait to you all see molly!love marylee!!  ::) :D
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!