Author Topic: Inside vs. Outside Sleepers: An Informal Poll  (Read 15887 times)

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Inside vs. Outside Sleepers: An Informal Poll
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:52:53 pm »
Do most of the Newfs here sleep inside or outside?  Just curious.....I'm the kind of person who loves the company of my Newf so having her in our bedroom at night is not an intrusion from my point of view.  (course I'm the kind of person who also had two Westies & a Cairn sleep on the bed with us and I thought that was just fine).

Just wondered what other folks do......

Gigi

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
Re: Inside vs. Outside Sleepers: An Informal Poll
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:37:16 pm »
Tank sleeps inside, in my bedroom, on the floor. I would let him sleep with me but, I already have 6 dachshunds in my bed so he will not fit! lol :D

Tank likes it now but I am not sure during the winter months when we have the heater on if he might be more comfortable sleeping outside. I can't wait until the winter months. He will love that so much!!!

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:02:37 am »
My dogs think that outside in only for playtime and potty breaks.  Thank goodness we have a really big bed because everynight I have a mastiff, lab and 2 chihuahuas in bed with us. I always try to beat everyone in there and let my hubby fight for position.  I really hate it when I am last to go there...hahaha but I wouldnt have it any other way!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:52:07 am »
I don't have a Newf, but thought I'd answer anyway...Tippe r always sleeps in my bedroom, usually on the bed and on my feet. Jenny will either sleep in the bedroom or on the couch downstairs.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:19:20 am »
Kira gets too hot so she will sleep on the floor by the bed but Gunner thinks he is too special for the floor and sleeps in the bed with us.  lately, it's be a 6 mos old mastiff,  7 year old child(she has been sick) and me and my hubs in a queen size bed. I wake up cranky and stiff...GO FIGURE!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:17:20 am »
No newfs here but I usually have 3 in the bedroom during the summer (too hot for Keiko she prefers to sleep in the basement) and 4 during the winter.  Gunther only sleeps on the bed when i take naps otherwise he's on the floor or on his bed in the closet.  Nigel and Posey sleep on the bed, although it's been hot out lately so they've taken to the floor or Gunther's bed if it's open.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:22:30 pm »
Meli sleeps wherever she wants - she is the queen after all! Which is usually in her crate in my room. Timber sleeps in the kids beds. If I try to leave them outside longer than it takes to pee and come back in they are clawing at the doors. I swear they act like there are piranha in the grass!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:01:13 pm »
Mine sleep inside too.  They sleep on the bed and usually at some point Kaila gets hot and will move between the floor and the bed.  Shiner however has developed a horrible behavior where he has to sleep under the covers.  I will try and get a pic of the 80lb. baby under the covers with me. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:13:54 pm »
Bear sleeps on the floor by my side of the bed but will sometimes get on the bed with me. He doesn't stay long though because he gets to hot.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:10:20 pm »
Both my boys are inside sleepers.  They both have beds besides our bed, but in the middle of the night, Winston jumps into bed with us.  He's the best spooner ever!  ;D

Umm....I'm just now realizing that sounds a bit weird...but, hey, he's so cuddly, who could resist????

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:22:49 pm »
I don't know if i could sleep without Grace inside or without Grace period.  In the summer because of the heat, she sleeps on her mound of pillows by the AC vent, but in the winter she is right on top of me.  She steels the pillows and only gives me about a sliver of bed that we sleep on diagonally, but I wouldn't know what to do without any comforter or a lump in my back.  She too is an awesome spooner, waking up in the middle of the night to toss her head back and punch me with her cold wet nose.

jesday

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:41:56 am »
My kids sleep in the garage. The breeder kept them in outside kennels and when we got them at 4 months in the middle of winter, they soon overheated in the house. They now think the garage is their personal dog crate. It's an insulated garage so perfect when too hot in house but too wet or snowy outside and nice cool cement floor for hot summer nights. I do give them their own personal fan. They are such creatures of habit, I can't get them to come in when it's bedtime.

Oh well works for everyone. Chili doesn't like to share the bed, sometimes even with my husband and the big bubs are safe and sound at night away from those nasty coyotes.

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 12:59:29 pm »
ozzy sleeps inside. sometimes with me or sometimes couch or floor.  depends on his mood i guess!!

AudgePadge

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 02:45:07 pm »
The boys seem to enjoy outside on the porch when it's hot, it's really hard getting them to come inside when it's 80 degrees at night...

But usually it's on their own beds on the floor...occasi onally, when he feels like it, Roscoe will hop on the bed and cut off circulation to our feet :) 

**Lin, I know what you're talkin about when you're sleeping diagonal, sometimes I wake up with my head hanging off the bed!

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 05:43:38 pm »
No Newf (but 1 ruff coat St. Bernard, so kind of, right?) here either, but all of my dogs sleep inside.

Shadow (our little one) sleeps on the couch or our bed.  She really is a cat, so she just goes where she pleases.  And God forbid you wake her before she is ready to get up!

Bo is now out of the crate, but I still don't trust him all the way (and he gets very cranky while sleeping), so he sleeps in the spare bedroom/mud room on his bed.

Raja sometimes sleeps in our room on the floor, but my husband isn't so good at picking up his socks all the time and Raja is really good at eating them whole, so I have to make sure it's spotless before she can come in.  Otherwise she avoids her TWO designated dog beds and crashes just outside our bedroom door, as this allows her to better attack us when we get up in the morning (ironically when she sleeps in the bedroom she also puts herself right up against the door on my side of the bed.  This makes it impossible for me to avoid getting attacked as I can't open the door). She truly delights in being uncomfortable, hence the continued hygroma.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP