Author Topic: How hot is too hot? This is getting ridiculous  (Read 2150 times)

bigdogs@5501

How hot is too hot? This is getting ridiculous
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:35:43 pm »
WE are under an extreme heat advisory today, they are saying at least 107 with the heat index of 110 or higher. My challenge has been keeping dogs cool. I have a Portacool water cooler on several of the dogs ( thanks to a wonderful lady this was actually donated to us) I have misting systems on everyone else and fans mounted behind the misting systems. We have discovered that our 3 year old central system is junk, so we have purchased a window unit as an additional source to cool the main living areas of the house. We will be installing a new central unit this winter, but until then we are going to have to do whatever we can to stay cool. Tomorrow will again be at least 107 then we get a cooling trend, 102.
Nicholas, Piglets dad has a wonderful outside enclosure/run of about 1/8th of an acre with a dog house, complete with a porch that measures about 15 feet by 8 feet. He doesnt like change or water. When I first hooked up the misting system by hanging it from the roof on the inside of the porch, he flew out of the dog house like an animal possessed when I turned it on, same reaction when I hooked up the fan. I was worried that it wasnt working right so I crawled in the dog house myself, and guess what, it was actually cool in there on a 100 degree day.
Nick is now enjoying the cooler climate even though he is having to deal with excess water. Not sure what to expect on the water bill, should be interesting- but they have to stay cool... I am sooo ready for October.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: How hot is too hot? This is getting ridiculous
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 02:25:03 pm »
I am so feeling your pain!!!  It's 108 degrees up here in North Texas(OK border)today.  The pups go out do thier business and it's right back inside with us and we dont even have ask them twice to come inside.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 03:20:31 pm »
Agh, I HATE, hate, hate that kind of heat.  We used to get that all the time in CA and it just saps the energy right out of you.  It sounds like you're working your tushie off trying to keep everyone as cool as possible, bless you!  Don't forget to take care of yourself too.

I'm glad to hear about Nick.  He sounds like such a special sweet old boy!  I was just wondering about the puppy parents & the Pandapyr ;D the other day.  I knew when you posted pics of the Pandapyr that she'd really haunt me, and she still does!  Do you still have them or are they happily adopted now?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

jesday

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 03:34:41 pm »
Although we don't get quite those temps, we can get into the 90's and occasional 100's. But we also get into teens and single digits in the winter. (Spokane, WA. East side doesn't rain all the time) We bought a heater-a/c unit for their dog house specially made for dog houses. 

I don't think it can get too cold for the bubs, so heater wasn't that much concern but the a/c cools about 20 degrees lower than outside temp. Syrus loves it. He's always inside. Sophie acts hurt when I have to put them out and suffers in the heat leaning against the gate to their pen looking all sorrowful - "Mommy, come get me."

They ate the mister! >:( At first it was fun. Then they both decided it was more fun having it squirt in your mouth but the mister was too whimpy. Chomp, off with its head.

Anyway, here is the site where we bought the unit. A little pricey but I think worth it so far.
http://www.hitechbuildingsystems.com/HVAC/index.php

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:01:12 pm »
Hey Paige,

I know the feeling about the heat.  We are having it down here too.  I have 2 window units if you would be interested in them.  I got them when our central unit went out last summer.  Let me know.  I'll try and remember to PM you also but I'm only on for a few minutes right now.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:59:54 am »
We've been feeling the pain too. 107 degrees (with a 100+ heat index) is just torturous. Rosie was interchanging lifting her paws off the pavement since it was getting way too hot. We took her back to the house quickly after that. Now we've been walking her at 6am when it's only 80 degrees outside. Even the lake has been feeling like bath water... so much for cooling down.
Rosie - Newfoundland