Author Topic: Million Dollar Dog!  (Read 1670 times)

Offline vetfrnd

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Million Dollar Dog!
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:07:16 am »
Well, just yesterday my four year old golden retriever went to the groomers, and the groomer found a lump on her left thigh(popliteal lymph node). My mother took her to the vets office who thought it was a tumor, it is wraped around her back leg, so they are going to go in and see if it is just a fat mass(hopefully) or it is a type of cancer :'( i have done research, and it looks like Lymphoma. If any of you have any information about canine lymphoma please message me!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Million Dollar Dog!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:04:25 pm »
Is it hard or mushy to the touch? If it's mushy, it's probably just a fatty tumor - nothing to worry about. If it's hard and moves as one big lump, then it may be something else. It's weird that it's wrapped around the leg, though.

You have a good groomer that would point that out to you.

Let us know what the vet says.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »
My golden retriever has been to the vet atleast 5 times for tumors that I noticed when grooming her. Most of them move as one mass under the skin, but they all came back as fatty tumors and not cancer. I know it is hard to wait for the results, but many times it is not as bad as we think it will be. I have had 2 previous goldens who both dies of cancer, and both were diagnosed after a tumor was biopsied, but they were 8 and 13 years old. 4 sounds a little young to have developed cancer. Unfortunately golden retrievers are very predisposed to lymphoma. One site I researched said 80% of them die from lymphoma. Scary thought. But again, my current golden is 10 1/2 and has been getting lumps since she was 4 or 5. Its a good thing you took her in, but wait for the test results before you panic. Keep up posted!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 07:30:32 pm »
I've seen these on older dogs mostly...older than your pup.  I have also seen those blister looking things on my other rott's feet.  they usually bust and bleed and go away if they lick them.  Another time, we had one removed while she was in for another procedure.  The vet called them something i can't remember and told us it was a harmless tumor.  I also had a silky terrier once that got a massive and mushy bump on her back.  turns out it was a zit.  the vet tried to poke it and it wouldn't drain.  After 2 years i finally gave it a squeeze and it drained for days and disappeared.  toward the end of her life, she broke out in little pimples. she was retaining water because of a bad heart condition that ended up being what took her.
but definately have them looked at.