Author Topic: Great Pyr--good decision to get him?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Great Pyr--good decision to get him?
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:35:02 pm »
Hi all! I posted a question about asking if a Newf could comfortably live in an apartment, and I got a response that was overwhelmingly in favor of getting the Newf. Well, I have one picked out from a breeder (I have been researching this buy for quite some time), but just recently was told about a 10 week old Great Pyr pup in town who is in need of a good home.

He was found by the people who have him, and they are trying to find him a forever home. So, no idea if his parents had hip, eye, etc. probs or any of that. He is definatly all Pyr though. Are Pyr's a lot different in terms of tempermant than the Newfs? I have not done a lot of Pyr research, but am also just totally sold on having a big breed dog.

If I get the Pyr I can not have the Newf (which is fine, this guy needs a home, and I think Pyr's are BEAUTIFUL). Can anyone add some insight on what owning a Pyr would be like? I do have a small dog, so I need a breed that would get along well with my little girl.
Thanks everyone!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Great Pyr--good decision to get him?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:15:28 am »
I adopted my Pyr last October and she is wonderful. She is extremely sweet and affectionate with me, mellow in the house, great with my kids, cats, and my other dog (who is 40 lbs.). There is lots of fur--but that would be the same with a Newf. Pyrs don't drool like a Newf does. My Pyr does not like water--very different from Newfs!  ;)

I have not had a Newf before, but my impression is that Newfs are considerered to have unbelieveably sweet dispositions--everyone I've ever heard talk about their Newfs consider them to be the sweetest dogs ever. Pyrs are described often as being more independent and stubborn, but I think it does depend on the dog, as I would not describe my Pyr in that way. She was, however, a rescue and that may have influenced her personality--she is my velcro dog. Pyrs are also known to bark a lot, dig a lot, and are not to be trusted off leash.  A lot of Pyrs end up in rescue for these reasons.  If you keep a Pyr indoors at night that helps keep the barking down--my Pyr doesn't really bark any more than my other dog.

There are lots of folks on the this board who I'm sure can add more information as well. 

Modified to add that if you will be living in an apartment, that could mean more noises for a Pyr to bark at and frustrated neighbors, etc.--I don't know if there is anyone on the board who has a Pyr in an apartment/condo setting. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:22:36 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:30:32 am »

Modified to add that if you will be living in an apartment, that could mean more noises for a Pyr to bark at and frustrated neighbors, etc.--I don't know if there is anyone on the board who has a Pyr in an apartment/condo setting. 
I totally agree!!! When I visit my friends who live in apts with Lily she goes nuts with her barking ::) :P Every time the neighbor shuts the door or someone passes to go floor up or down she would bark. I LOVE Pyrs but I don't think I can tolerate that much barking :-\ :P
I think Newf would be much better choice for the apartment setting  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:34:52 am »
I basically live in an apartment. Miles does pretty well. He's not a very active dog. He likes to be outside alot, so the neighbors know us well. We greet all the people as they come in. ;) I wouldn't necessarily say every pyr is for apartment life. Since they do love to bark...(Miles is actually not a barker in the house here....well.. .he does bark but not nearly as often as I would have thought being a pyr and all...maybe its because he grew up here and he's used to the noise...but when we go to my mom's out in the country, he wont shut up!) Good luck with whatever you choose.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Gentian

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:42 pm »
I'm working with four Pyrs right now, and they are much higher energy than my Newf. While others might disagree, based on my experience with these four, I wouldn't have a young Pyr without at least a large fenced yard for them to roam.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 07:58:44 pm »
I have never had a newf, but my pyr, Jake is not a high energy dog.  He does love to play with ChiChi and Max, but if they aren't playing he is a movable rug.  As I speak, he is curled up in my bed sound asleep, Max is on the floor under my chair sleeping, ChChi is holding down the tile floor in front of the kitchen door and Cody is holding down the tile in front of the back sliders.  They are also very, very quiet at night.  They all obviously spend their days and nights in the house, but they only bark at noises, squirrels, cars, etc. in the daytime.  Whatever the puppy is raised with, will be his pack/family.  I have cats and my dogs are all great with each other and the cats.  They try to catch the neighborhood cats if they come into our back yard and my biggest fear is they will kill one.  However, their cats are just part of the family.  Your small dog will be the pyr's family.  Growing up in an apartment, your pyr will learn what the "normal" noises are and probably not bark at those.  My dogs don't bark at the garage door opening, if they hear mine or my husband's vehicle drive up.  If we are both home, they go off when the door opens.  If you are prepared for possible issues with barking and don't think it will be a problem, I would say get the pyr.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:04:36 pm »
Is it possible for you to do a couple of days for a trial run?  That way you could discover how the dog is going to affect your neighbors and your little one?
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:24:20 pm »
I don't have any advice since I don't have either pyrs or newfs but good luck with your decision.  The trial run with the puppy sounds like a good idea.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 10:15:46 am »
Hi there! And welcome! You have some heavy decisions to make, eh? Newf? Pyr? Or any Big Paw right now? You sound like a very caring person who is willing to put your "All" into a new family member. You're doing your homework rather than just jumping into a situation. Good for you!!!!!

I don't know Newfs. But they're definitely on my wish list. Along with Leo's, IWH, and several others. (Should I live that long. :P  ;) )Pyrs are my life and I adore them.

You're getting some good input from first hand experiences. You'll be the one to make the final choice. And it's a lifetime commitment any which way.

My present two Pyrs (and two others in the past as well)are "inside dogs" for the very most part. I have also had LGDs who were people orentated but took very seriously their duties ~ so they were comfortable in the home but at the drop of a leaf they were out the dog door and on guard and always so during night time.

I'm in a very rural area so no neighbors are close. These Babes are, for the most part, quiet ~ with little barking. Unless someone slows down below the hill by the driveway. OR if someone walks up and knocks at the door. :-\

You seem willing to walk and exercise a pup. But remember ~ this is Morning. Noon. Night. Heat. Freezing temps. Rain. Even if you're not feeling well youself. Also, a bored Pyr Puppy is a destructive Puppy. It takes only moments to destroy furniture, walls, floors, and such. They also shed like you can not belive during blowout. Example - I brushed both my Babes again last evening. (As I do each and every day.) By this morning there were enough Pyr Bunnies to make another dog.  :) The white fluff is EVERYWHERE! 

If conidering a Pyr, perhaps you would want to go with an older ~ say two to three year old. The wee ones are adorable but ~ ~ it's a long road to maturity. Kathy is right about their being laid back for the most part. I have one (5 1/2)laying on my feet, and another (just turned two) close to my side. But it hasn't happened overnight.

Good luck. I know you'll make the right choice. And I look forward to any and all updates. Once you do ~ you know that BPOers will be right here to support you in each and every way. (Sorry. Didn't mean this to be so long.)
"J"

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 10:49:30 am »
I had a very large pyr guy named Goliath. He was wonderful with my boys(small at the time) but man he would bark at every little thing he heard during the night. Yes the neighbors were not happy and it just took a few years for him to settle down and sleep at night and not go on patrol. Yes everyone is right about the amount of hair. Was unbelieveable that much hair could come out of a dog and be plenty left :o ;D. Bottom line is if you love them you'll fnd a way to make it work. Good Luck with your choice.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties