Author Topic: Your weekly rescue update and puppy pics!  (Read 9406 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Your weekly rescue update and puppy pics!
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:32:49 pm »
I just thought I would once again sneak online and fill you guys in on the Good Fight.

We rescued a chow mother who had given birth at gaston county animal control to 5 tiny babies. The animal control offices were A) unaware that she was pregnant B) unaware that she had given birth. After 3 days of intensive vet work and therapy, we sadly lost all 5 newborns. Mother chow (Foxy Brown) is recovering, but is very sick. Shortly after, during our investigation, we learned that 4 of the 6 dogs in the kennel before the chow had been placed in there had died of some disease. (Of course they had recieved no vet care, so we have no idea WHAT disease) The kennel was not cleaned before chow mamma was placed in there and gave birth. we are assuming that is what killed the babies. Foxy curently has kennel cough, coccidia, giardia, and developed pyo as well.

We are up to 24 puppies at the shelter (IE my house) ranging between 5 weeks and 12 weeks. All were shelter pulls trying to get as many out before Dr. Frankenstein arrived (see below) All 24 puppies were in one of three runs that held a total of 43 puppies. We tested five random puppies from each run for parvo, and all five, from all three runs (meaning 15 puppies) tested positive for Parvo although none were symptomatic. That was about 10 days ago, and I have been dosing liberaly with Parvaid every 4 hours and giving antibiotics and immune support. So far 22 of my 24 have not broken out, but two have. Of the two one successfully recovered on homeopathic treatment and parvaid, and the other has been hospitalized. We faired much better then the rescue group that split the 43 puppies with us- of the 19 that they took, they have lost 6 to parvo and have another 8 in hospitalizatio n. If I did not believe in good supportive immune system care before, I sure as heck do now.

I spent what few hours I wasnt nursing sick and dying animals this week protesting outside animal control. Dr. Sam "Frankenstein" Houser is in town, and hosting a gassing clinic at Gaston County Animal Control, where I pull most of my dogs. If you are up north, it is hard to imagine how bad rural southern shelters are, but let me tell you, Gaston county is one of the worst. I have seen 20 dogs crammed in runs 4 X 10. They have food dumped in big litter boxes and tossed in with them to fight over. There is no vet on staff. No dogs recieve medical treatment or even a glance over from a vet. They do not seperate sick or dying animals. They do not treat animals as they die on the floor unless someone raises a stink, and then they remove the animal to die in the back. They do not have air conditioning or heating. The cats are in runs, just like the dogs. Sometimes 100 per run. I once saw a small dog get torn apart by a pack of large dogs in a run. They use a gas chamber and hundreds are gassed a week. Almost every animal that walks through the doors ends up dead of disease or the gas chamber. Very few make it to adoptables- about 1 in 50. There are 40 4 X 10 runs at AC, and only 1-4 are adoptables. The rest are awaiting their deaths, or a rescue group to save them.

And this is the shelter chosen by Dr. Frankenstein to come and do his death seminar on how to gas animals. All week they have been gassing random animals from the shelter, including adoptables, as "demonstrations". They had originally closed the doors to rescue groups and had not let us save anyone during this week. However after protesting outside and lots of news coverage, they let us in to take as many as we could. Hence why I have so many now!

Now, here are some happy pups that were saved from the gas chamber.
Enjoy!

So anyone looking for the next love of their life?!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Your weekly rescue update and puppy pics!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:15:16 am »
So many of us have said it before, and I'll say it again - you're an angel. 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:41:51 am »
You are my hero!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
  • Petra - my beautiful Bouvier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:23:45 am »
They are beautiful . . . you have a huge heart!!

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:25:33 am »
I don't know WHY I read this. Well, yes of course I know WHY(Margaret and Jolene are both rescues) Can't you call the state, your congressman? THIS makes me FURIOUSLY sick. I want those people to be given the same inhumane treatment. Where is this house of horrors?
Bless your kind, sweet, loving, generous angelic HEART. Can I donate money? Seriously>:(
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:28:19 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:42:10 am »
That is horrible.  Like everyone else said, "Bless you for all that you do."
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:47:01 am »
You seriously are amazing. I wish I could help in some way but we just had an outbreak of parvo here as well and 2 pups died. :(
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 01:28:26 pm »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA GH

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 02:56:04 pm »
This sounds like the shelter here a few years ago. It was overrun with rats, no a/c and the cats would pant all day long 'cause they were so hot. Constant outbreaks of parvo, calicivirus (sp?), all kinds of viral stuff - especially among the cats.

But, we did get it improved. I went to the shelter, took all kinds of pictures of rats running around, dead rats in the dogs water bowls, cats with their eyes stuck shut from disease, etc. I made a powerpoint presentation from all this and went in front of the parish council - several times. I worked at the local newspaper and, fortunately, they were very animal friendly and they ran several stories in the paper about the horrible conditions at the animal shelter.

I asked a vet to come over and look at the conditions in the "cat house" and, when he declared that the cats were so hot, they were in constant distress, the parish finally bought window a/c units for them.

They didn't even let me get as far as showing my pix in front of the parish. They cornered me ahead of time ('cause they didn't want them broadcast on the local TV station I guess) and, after much discussion, and threatening to expose them, and bad press, etc, they finally shut the shelter down for a couple months and cleaned it up, made many necessary repairs, sealed the concrete in the kennel runs so they wouldn't hold onto viruses and keep reinfecting the dogs, etc.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is if you aren't afraid to make a big public stink, they will be forced to fix the problems.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread (and the third picture of the brown puppy with the big floppy ears makes me want to reach through the computer screen and grab him up), but I hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more advice.

Thanks bundles for all you do!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 04:05:06 pm »
I don't even know how to respond. It hurts to read and it hurts to see their little faces, knowing what they had been facing. Thank you for taking them!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python