Author Topic: A break through with Maya!!!  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
A break through with Maya!!!
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:37:56 pm »
If any one here remembers my troubles with maya my boarding dog who was abused...and i now kept her.  Well...i must tell you, i take her to work with me (best friends pet care) and i bring her up front with me daily for about 20 minutes. and today was the first day, that maya went voluntarily up to my manager and co-workers, sat near them, and DID NOT GROWL!!!!! :o  i was shocked! It is working!!! I am so happy for her that she is slowly getting over this biting people thing!!!  (we have been sober of biting for over 3 months now, but this was a big step, sitting near strangers and letting them pet her)

Also, for anyone who reads this, please help me help maya more and give her more things to know.  We are not an active family (no runs or anything, she is petrified of treadmill too..so that is no help) and we need things that will keep her busy.  If not, she ends up eating EVERYTHING! From our matteress....t o socks...to eating through her crate!!  So please ideas!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: A break through with Maya!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:18:06 am »
Well, good long walks are the absolute best thing, but you could try getting her a busy ball - you stick treats in them, but the dog has to roll them around until they fall out in order to get their "reward". They have several differnt kinds available at PetSmart, etc.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:33:17 am »
I tried the treat balls with no success for Kaila and Shiner but Razor loved them.  So it really depends on the dog.  Kaila would lose interest if the treats didn't come out as quickly as she thought that they should.  Shiner would tear up the ball. 

Teaching fetch and playing frisbee.  Little energy expenditure on your part and runs the dog silly.

Build your own agility equipment and teach her agility in your own backyard.  You can use 2x4s and pvc and is inexpensive and again works the dog but not really you.

Teach her find it games.  This is the beginning stages of teaching them search and rescue work.  Hide toys or food or even family members around the yard and house and have her find them.  Works their minds and their stamina.

Take her hiking.  Or find a place that is usually remote few to no people that has a lake and let her swim and run off leash.  Only if she has a good recall.

Get some books on trailing and teach her trailing work.

Mine love to chase stuff so set up a pully system and rope and create your own lure coursing track. 

Take her to an aggressive dog obedience class.

Just a few ideas and I'll see if I can't think of some more.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:02:11 pm »
If she likes to chase things, you can use a laser pointer. My mom uses one to help her Border Collie expend some energy.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven