Author Topic: URGENT - Need Mastiff Rescue in MA  (Read 12448 times)

Offline FergtheBerg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
URGENT - Need Mastiff Rescue in MA
« on: August 07, 2008, 04:38:48 pm »
Hi All-
We rescued a Mastiff from a Shelter on Sunday and brought him into our home with our 2 1/2 yo female Bullmastiff.  Today my female aggressed on him and they got into a fight where I need stiches and my female needs stiches.  The male (rescue) has a few cuts.  He is NOT dog aggressive at all...this was completely the fault of my female.  I do not want to put him back in the shelter.  Can anyone give me the name of a Mastiff Rescue in the Massachusetts area for me to get him into a loving foster home.  He had spent 2 months at the shelter and does not deserve that kind of life.  We just need to get our female straightened out and I can't just keep him in my kitchen until that happens.

THANK YOU!!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: URGENT - Need Mastiff Rescue in MA
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:06:16 am »
were the dogs ever properly introduced? Did you take both of them for an hour+ walk before putting them in your house?  Did you separate the mastiff under house quarentine until you are comfortable that the dogs will be ok together? And of course you did introduce the dogs on a neutral territory right....like down the street or at a different location than your house? 
You need to introduce the dogs appropriately, not throw them together in the back yard.  You asked for disaster. And because you admit it is your fault you want to "get rid of him" then?  Just throwing them into your home right from a shelter is like throwing him back into a shelter.  I am sorry if you take this in the wrong way, although this dog depended on you, and you couldn't do it...and if that is the case you should have thought of that to begin with rather than tossing this poor mastiff around from home to home.  I am flabergasted that you are the one at fault, and because of that, his life and well being is up in arms now.  How can you do that to him?  You need to try again, it isn't fair to the dog.  Being a mastiff owner in MA, i am apaulled by your post.  And as i said, sorry, but you deserved a dose of reality.  (the worse part here is that the shelter gave you this dog with out meeting your personal dog first.  On top of that, you didn't know how to intoduce them properly.  TRAIN YOUR DOG...ignoranc e is what kills dogs...)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:15:27 am by Jaz and Mr. Wiggles »

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 10:34:00 am »
Hence the reason for appoligizing for those who would take offence.  I understand that it is a helpful site, although on the hind end of things, researching it and meeting off the territory of the dog i thought was a common knowledge thing, perhaps not though.  But hey, it finally got others to respond to her, since it was on the bottom of the list.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:16 am »
that is fine.

Permission to crosspost to a mastiff board please?

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:45:44 am »
i got some information that may be helpful for you  go to this group on yahoo. it helps mastiffs in need
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/NewEnglandMastiffClub
that was from the mastiff.org group.  Sorry this is not a rescue group, this is a groupd for mastiff owners. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:33:55 pm by Jaz and Mr. Wiggles »

Offline erikam

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:06:58 pm »
hi All

There is a misundertandin g here - the link above is not for a rescue organization.  Is the mastiff still in need of foster care / If so, you should contact the following from friends of rescued mastiff:

Region 1 - (CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT)
Andrea D. Anzivino
* IGotMastiff@aol.com
* 603-216-7318 *fax 603-642-7703

. . . . . . . . NH - Andrea D. Anzivino
                 *  p; p; IGotMastiff@aol.com
                 * 603-216-7318

. . . . . . . . NY - Traci Weaver
                 * tweaver@lappinsulator.com
                 * 585-943-9793

Erika M.

Offline mastiffrescuene

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:36:08 pm »
Call me please about your rescue boy.

Jessica O'Donoghue
207-748-0951 h.
207-451-8553 c.

Offline FergtheBerg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 08:53:26 am »
Thank you to all who have posted.  I have actually contacted the mastiff rescue that was posted and am waiting to hear back from them.  Right now we are "co-existing" in a seperated household where we alternate every 2 hours who gets to be in the family room with us.  This way they both get family time.  We actually did take Fergie to the shelter with us to meet Jimbo.  They got along find and we took them on a long walk when we got home.  The issues started about 48  hours later when it was just me and my son home.  That is when Fergie started to aggress on Jimbo.  I realize in hind-sight that she doesn't respect me as her pack leader and is very territorial of me and my son.  If it's just my husband home, they can exist in the same room with no issues.  I have read Cesar Milan's "Be the Pack Leader" and we are in the process of waiting for a recommended Dog Behaviorist to come back from vacation to start taking Fergie to training.  I realize now that a lot of it stemmed from the fact that while my husband would treat her as animal/dog/Fergie I would treat her like my own child, hence he has respect and she feels like she is my alpha.  I'm working on trying to be Calm Assertive with her and it does take a lot of work - considering I've let her get away with her nonsense for 2 1/2 years. 

One issue we are finding is that not a lot of dogs like Jimbo, and some people think it's because he has no ears...the shelter thinks his previous owners tried to crop his ears at home and mutilated them...so because he looks 'different' some dogs feel that is a sign of weakness in their pack.  Anyone ever heard of that? 

I do agree that Fergie is very Alpha with dogs and because Jimbo is larger than her, she cannot establish her dominance as resident dog and is lashing out because she feels her place in the pack is slipping due to his size.

I appreciate everyone's help on this board and no need to apologize on behalf of the first poster. I tend to skip over posts that don't offer appropriate help.   :)

Offline FergtheBerg

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:59:12 am »
Thank you Julie...I printed out the pages and plan to post them on my refrigerator.  There is a LOT on there I'm not doing.  Your "monkey's" are adorable.  I will have to post a picture of Fergie once she's healed.
Thank you again for your information and help! ;D