Mountain Dogs > Bernese Mountain Dog Discussions

Allopecia (sp?) on my 5 month BMD

(1/2) > >>

Berner_Mom:
I have heard of Berners getting a lot of "hot spots", and I'm wondering what exactly those are, and if this "allopecia" (loss of hair) on my puppy is a hot spot, and what you all did to help it get cured.

We had Tucker home about 2 weeks, when this big patch of fur on his right side just seemed to disappear overnight.  Its about 4 inches by 5 inches, almost round in shape, there is some sparse fur left, but basically its gone and we can see skin.

We thought it was maybe the harness rubbing on him, but the harness straps don't come anywhere near the place the fur was lost.  We thought it was food (and still could be food) but our vet says now that the food he is on is a good one, and that it should clear up the bald spot- if it was allergy/food related.

We have a vet appointment in 3 more days, as she said to bring him back if it wasn't cleared up and fur growing back in, and its not.

But I was wondering what all of your experiences were- thanks in advance for your replies!

Oh, also- I don't think its from bordom.  We haven't seen him licking/biting/scratching the area, though he is home a lone for part of the day (3 hours in morning, then 2-3 hours in the afternoon) and from what we can see on the video (yes, we set up a puppy cam!) he just sleeps in his kennel all that time.  We didn't catch him on tape at all biting/licking/scratching.

Again, thanks!

People Whisperer:
If it was a hot spot you would know right away...those are really nasty
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/hotspots.html

I have no idea what would cause the hair loss your puppy is going through ??? :-\ I know that Berners tend to have all kinds of issues and raw/cooked diet suits them the best. Keep us posted on what your vet has to say about it  :)

kathryn:
I don't have a Berner but Shiner had Demodex mange when he was a puppy from the stress of a severe respiratory infection.  He also had an outbreak when he first came here but a good diet and a little time and he grew out of it. 

Kaila also had a run with red mange (puppy mange) when she was small also.  She grew out of it.  You might have your vet do a skin scraping just to be sure it's not a mange variety.

kealoha812:
Do you have kids?  If so - ask them! My golden had the same exact thing happen and we couldnt figure out what it was until one day my 5 year old son confessed " I shaved her with that pink shavey thing in the shower". of course I sat in disbelief - not that he would do it (he's all boy) but that she would let him! I asked what she did when he shaved her and he said "nutting - she just sat there". Guess he was playing groomer! her hair is still growing back in that spot!

Berner_Mom:
kealoha812:   LOL that is too funny!  We have no living children, just one daughter in Heaven (see my signature below) but that was sort of our first thought, as Tucker had been to groomers the day before he woke up with the bald patch, and we kind of thought- at first- that maybe they were just overzealous with the clippers.  I actually called Petsmart when we noticed it, to question them as they were under instruction only to shampoo/blowdry and brush, and trim his nails, NOT to cut/shape his fur (its puppy fur, doesn't need cutting yet!).  I did look into the brand of shampoo they used on him, in case it was an allergic reaction, but its oatmeal based, and further use of the shampoo did not cause new spots.

Tucker is seeing the vet Tuesday, so hopefully we will get some answers and possible courses of treatment then.  I am going to have Dr. Barclay do skin scrapings, as a kind of mange is what I'm leaning towards.  My family border collie had mange near the end of his life, and this looks very similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version