Author Topic: Should I Be Concerned??  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Should I Be Concerned??
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:39:32 am »
Ok, well let's see if I can put this in a nutshell....

A couple weeks ago there was a homicide in my building...I'm in 104...it was 205. To make a long story short, the 19 year old guy strangled the 18 year old girl. They had just moved in together and were getting ready to go to college together at the univeristy of wisconsin-milwaukee. (I live very close to campus).

I ended up being on the news (Miles too!) regarding the situation. I didn't really want to be, but I just cannot say no to people! I need to learn to use it more often. Not only was I on the news, but so was my NAME and Building Address.

First off, let me say, I cannot BELIEVE they put my whole name on the news!!! They should have to ask before they can just go and do that! The worst part of it is I have received 5 letters from 3 different jails from PRISONERS that saw me on the news and want to be "pen pals". Two even included pictures.

I don't know if I should be worried or not? I'm sure they write to numerous girls they see on tv when enough information is provided to them, like name and address, but what if they get out of jail, and have a hit list or something!? People that don't write back, so then they come after them. It's creepy.

So someone was KILLED in my building, and now I have prisoners writing to me.....I want to move. :P :-\
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Should I Be Concerned??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:02:24 am »
OK, yeah. I would be creeped out, too. I'm not really sure what to tell you, but the first thing that popped into my head would be to call the jail and talk to the warden or someone and report that you are getting unsolicited mail from these prisoners and, by all means, DO NOT RESPOND - even to tell them not to write to you. Any attention, to them, is attention.

The jail will probably be able to give you more advice on what steps to take to protect yourself.

I'm sure if they are not allowed to write you anymore and you do not respond, you will quickly disappear from their radar.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:06:05 am »
EEEEEEeeeeeeww wwww! That is so creepy! I don't know what I'd do. Probably move, but how realistic is that actually? If you ignore the "penpal" letters it will probably stop. Maybe you could call the stupid news channel and complain, and ask what they do to protect people that they expose, especially attractive women. Luckily, your puppers was on,too. So rush out and buy a "beware of dog" sign for your door, then raise h*ll at the T.V. station, for whatever that's worth. At the very least, they may have a female anchor that could talk to you and put your mind at ease, cuz a female anchor probably has all kinds of "fan" mail like that all the time. How scary for you, though!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:19:27 am »
 :P >:(  Ugh!  That gives me the willies!  I erally don't know what you should do about the letters, but I would definately raise some serious h*ll at the news station.  They should not be allowed to do that, for that specific reason.  I don't know if the prison would be able to stop the letters from reaching you, but at the very least, hopefully the creepy prisoners will loose interest with no response from you.  Or you cuold move and start going by an alias.  ;)  It's a good thing you've got such a big strong guard dog to help you feel a little safer though.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:40:17 pm »
Hi,

Do you have a lawyer friend or someone who can write a "I am going to Sue the "bejesus" out of you letter" to the TV station!!

You don't need to follow through on that threat but you need some response from them (the station) making them realize they Screwed up!!! I am pretty sure it is Highly Illegal for them to Post your name and address on national TV with out written consent from you!!

So have a official looking letter sent and get something from them!! You can probably get an attorney to do it for free if you tell them why and show them the inmate letters.

Often to many "victums" (and you are a victum here) just do nothing to point out a wrong and hope it goes away. Leaving the TV network to do it again to someone else.

I hope you do let them know how bad they screwed up!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:25 pm »
Gosh! I would be REALLY concerned!!! I can't even imagine getting letters from some random prisoners >:( I would definitely contact the station and let them know what they have caused!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:49 pm »
I would be concerned receiving these letters, but I would be MORE concerned about some of the "Wackos" out there who are not in prison. Indeed contact the station. (& an Attorney) That's just inexcusable!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 05:51:09 pm »
If you contact the facility (jail, prison, etc.) where they are currently housed, it will stop immediately.  I would definitely contact  the news station about the issue and I really like the "official" letter from an attorney.  That will get some attention.  This is just ridiculous that they would put you at risk.  I would not be worried but then I have ChiChi, Cody, Jake and lots of guns.  Max would lick them to death.  You have a nice big dog though, who would bark, to warn you and protect you, if it came to that. 
Contact the prison, news station and buy a gun.  That's my advice.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 06:26:36 pm »
Some FYI:  The news station does not have to have written consent to put your name on the screen. Unfortunately, you gave them consent when you said you would agree to be interviewed, gave them your name (and, most likely spelled it for them so they would get it correct). You had every right to say "no, I don't want to be interviewed about this" or "You can interview me, but I want to remain anonymous."

Did you give them your address during the course of the interview? If so, the same applies above. If they researched you and looked it up, then published it across teh air waves, that's a different story.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think the station practiced very poor discretion on their part and should have, at least, made sure you understood what they would be airing. However, I don't think they did anything outside of what is legal. I would definitely contact them and let them know, emphatically, what has happened to you and that maybe they should let their interviewees know when their address will be aired.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:56 pm »
I'd call the news station that used your address and talk to him about the situation.  Tell him you got letters and are now concerned for your safety.  Don't just talk to the peon reporter.  Go to the news director and if you have to the station manager.  They can use your name.  you gave it to them (or not?). "consent" is so vague anymore.  most stations don't get written consent.  your consent is given by talking while the camera is running.  but tell whoever you talked to that using your address was way out of line.  Be stern.  Make sure he knows you mean business and don't let him sugar coat it or talk you down.  this isn't something he can brush under the rug.  They should be able to rectify some of the situation somehow.  Make sure to tell him not to use the story clips (including your name and address) in any station promo's either.   don't make threats, or if you do, follow through. 
the flashing of your address should pass in time.
Also, call the prison from which you got letters and explain to the wardon what happened and you don't want mail from any of its inmates. 
you could also call the local police and tell them your address got broadcasted and that you got letters from prisoners.  Maybe someone there can give you some police advise and make you feel more safe.   but do it soon before they consider it a non issue...too much time passes and they think you second guessed it long enough that you weren't that concerned. 
Keep an eye out (not that anyone is following you or stalking you) to see if anyone is around that shouldn't be or hasn't been before.  It doesn't sound like anyone will hold a grudge against you (i'm sure you didn't bad mouth anyone.)
If the station manager don't make you feel comfortable or treats you stupid, call a lawyer.  Using your name is one thing.  Broadcasting your address is another. 
From a communications law standpoint, you were in the middle of a public event and they can argue that.  From an ethics point of view, the reporter and station should have known better. 
Make some calls.  Talk to people. if you still want to push the issue, call the other tv stations in town and make a story out of the other station's stupidity. 

I'm sure there's no immenate danger.  but just at least call and talk to the news station that started this.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:44:07 pm by Lin »

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 09:18:23 pm »
Definately creepy.  I would also contact the TV station - while they technically didn't do anything wrong they need to make people aware of what information they will be using in an interview.  I also think if the letters go unanswered the prisoners will not contact you again. 

Honestly, if possible when your lease is up I would look into moving just for peace of mind.

Now practice with me...no   no   no  - a lesson to be learned!!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 09:33:03 am »
Thanks for all the responses. Let me just say, I will definitely be contacting the news. I think I will send something out to them on Monday. It is absolutely bogus that they can just put all my information out there without out some kind of written consent.

I didn't really know anything about the homicide when they interviewed me, and honestly, I was in no shape to be interviewed. I was freaking out. Now, I will have to say, I was pretty calm and collected on the news. THEY are the ones that told me this happened in my building....(Just a side note...The night before at about 4am someone was POUNDING on my door, which I did not answer, and later found out it was the Cops...they didn't identify themselves though!)

I received the majority of the letters a few days after it happened, but I just received another about 2 days ago (different person, one of the same jails as the others though). So I have a feeling it may not be over....receiv ing the letters that is. You know, I read all the letters, and they were all "nice" to me...not threatening to kill or anything, and they don't want to be anything but "pen pals"...but then I thought about it, and they probably can't write what they WANT to write in the event that the prison reads the letters before they allow them to be sent out.

I dug up some dirt on these people. The majority of them are in jail for drugs....Posse ssion of Cocaine with intent to sell....Resist ing or Obstructing an officer...A few also are armed robbers.

There is one in particular that freaks me out a little though. First off, in the letter, his middle initial is wrong. I searched the State Circuit Court Access as well as the Department of Corrections and found only one person with this name in the corrections facility the letter came from. In the letter it states he is in jail for possession of cocaine with intent to sell, which of course was not actually his...just in his vehicle ::) On the Circuit Court Access website, he has been charged with the following (not all at once of course...start ing with most recent):
Retail Theft
Knowly Violate a Domestic Abuse Order
Stalking
Resisting or Obstructing an Officer
Escape
Domestic Abuse
Threat to Injure
Operate a vehicle without a valid license
Battery
False Imprisonment

Not a word of drugs in the guys record.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 10:43:38 am »
I had a few pen pals when i was a kid.  they were in prison in NY and one in IL i want to say.  the problem is they all want money for things they need in the joint.  One didn't...but, Nick did.  the red flag with him was ... i was 15 and he was in his late 20's.  he'd ask for $5 here and there so he could print photos (for me he said.)  the other guy (Felix) was more my age and cute as a button.  he killed his mother in a rage and was in jail for life.  my mom worried about what could happen if one got out and found me.  I wish i'd never written to them.  i was young and stupid.  i know they need outside friends and care and compassion from us...but they are after all in there for a reason.  I can't imagine they "reform" as well as we'd like to think they do.

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 05:41:37 pm »
GULP. I can understand why you are concerned.  This man has a history of violence in general, and against women in particular (I'm assuming.  DV means a lot of things these days!).  So,I understand why you have your guard up.  However,  I also know though my work that these prisoners are searching for women that will get caught up in their web, feel flattered by their interest, and will play out their dependency needs by handing out money, offering them places to stay, etc. While it sounds like they are targeting you, in all likelihood they are casting MULTIPLE lines, fishing for these women, so to speak.  If I were you, I'd try to relax.  Don't respond to the letters, at all. If you aren't perceived as useful to them, they'll most likely forget you and move on. You may, however, want to find out either their release date or when they are up for parole.  Who knows, maybe it'll be in 10 years and you'll be long gone by then! 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:06:39 pm by IndyFurKiddos »

jesday

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 09:35:35 am »
As many have already said, they are probably just 'fishing'. But you really should contact a lawyer. Most cities have a lawyer advice call line that is usually free of charge that can advise you of your options and refer you to a lawyer. Many of whom may do pro-bono work. Especially if a TV station is involved. Big publicity for them.

I would do this before you contact the station. This will show them you are serious and not just a little girl who will go away.

The news station has put you in jeopardy. Save the letters as evidence. At the very least the News station should pay for your moving expenses - and yes, I would move! I would not take the risk that even one of these guys is just goofing with you.

Please follow up on this. It is too creepy and you did nothing to get yourself in this position.