Author Topic: Are they really siblings?  (Read 2128 times)

jesday

Are they really siblings?
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:52:53 pm »
So just a question. We were at the dog park and a fellow came in with two pit bulls. One was obviously a puppy of about 8-12  weeks. The other looked to be at least a year. I remarked about their markings being so similar and figured one was the parent. He said no, they were siblings, the little guy was a runt. Total deadpan, no smile.

Now I've seen runts of the litter before but I couldn't quite swallow this one. He followed up his statement with the fact they were from the same parents but different litters.

I supposed technically they are siblings, but is that what they are called in the breeding world? I mean every litter that pair had would be siblings. I just thought that was an odd way of describing his pups. ??? :)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Are they really siblings?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:01:59 am »
Yep. They are still called siblings. But the guy with no emotion is a bit weird.

A Runt in a litter doesn't always stay the smallest. They were just the last to be conceived and so didn't have as long to develope.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 05:03:11 am »
Yes they are siblings from different litters. Normal terminology just a bit of a "wise" guy  ;D
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:55:14 am »
technically I, my brother and my sister each came from our own separate litters, but we are siblings.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 02:58:14 pm »
Just to be even more confusing ... a female can become impregnated by more than one male at the same time.  Holly's Lucy and my Elli are from the same litter but quite possibly have different dads.  They're still sisters, to us.  And their mama is still a um, loose lady. 

I knew that was true with cats. I guess it makes sense it would be the same with dogs. It's even true with humans, just not at the same time. Lots of multiple dads out there.

Actually, there are a few medical cases of human twins from different fathers.  Only way they knew this was the case (outside of genetic testing) is that the babies are of different races (one black/one white/ect)  Fascinating stuff.  Not identical, but fraternal twins.