Mixed Breeds > Mixed Breed Discussion

Wolf Hybrids...Any Thoughts?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lyn:
My father in law had a high content wolf mix. Mainly Timber wolf with a little Mal and Shepherd mixed in. He was an amazing dog. Very tolerant.. He was raised around small animals, cats and chickens. Yet would kill wild game and drag them home to eat. I didn't believe it until I saw him drag home a small deer.

Since you don't know this guys history I'd definitely be wary. I'd see if the rescue can give you more info on him. He really is gorgeous though.

Scootergirl:
He is definitely smooch-able!

Just be careful - make a judgment with your head, not your heart.

Jas2Cats:
 :)  He is gorgeous!  As everyone else said, be very sure if you take him in.  My first dog was a Husky/Wolf/GSD who I got from a friend at 6 weeks old.  The first 2 years of his life were very interesting to say the least.  His actions were more wolflike than doglike, and I had to be on my toes constantly.  He did learn not to hurt my cats or birds, but, any small animals who were not mine, were in trouble.  He could also jump ANY fence though learned not to go over a fence that I didn't "show him how to".  If I went over the fence, he would too.

As he aged, he became more and more protective of his pack, and I never had to worry about walking alone at night. Had a brother in law who came home drunk one night and decided to jump the fence since he couldn't find his key, and Jasper went after him (dumb person).  We laugh now, but, what the heck was he thinking?  He knew the dog protected the house.  After I had my boys, he became even more protective.  Noone could approach them while we were on a walk, or Jasper would growl and go on the alert.

He lasted just under 13 years, and I will always miss him.

navarre1316:
The whole wolf hybrid thing is a soap box of mine!!!  But, putting that aside; if he was a pup, maybe (yes he's young, but....) I would be very wary of the other small critters that are in your care.

He's beautiful.  Navarre was a black and silver when he was a pup, the silver turned into kind of a cream color so he wasn't exactly a black and tan either!!

Good luck, tough decision though.  But like someone else said, don't feel like you're letting him down if you decide to say no.

jesday:
I've posted our experience with our wolf hybred before and I am sorry to say it was not successful. My husband got him when he was a six week old pup. He was a very nice dog, accepted me and my kids as part of his family. But - we couldn't keep him on our property short of keeping him tied up, which we didn't do. Tried every kind of fence etc. He did break into the chicken house and killed all but one of the 75 chickens we had. Didn't eat them, just killed them (The one survivor chicken we named Rambo and he never ended up as our dinner.)The older he got the more wolf like he became. Very - very protective of his pack (us) but it got so we didn't dare have any kid's friends over for fear he'd attack them. He started chasing anything that moved ie: kids on bikes etc. And would hunker in bales of straw he'd made into a den.

The sad story is he started packing up all the other dogs in the neighborhood. We lived in the country and most dogs were free to roam. I am afraid to say I believed that was okay at the time too, but I have amended my foolishness. Anyway he took his pack to the neighbor's and he killed their Akita! All the dogs were in on it, but Paco was the one shaking it like a rag doll. It was a beautiful large male Akita. Of course the neighbors were extremely upset and we offered to pay for their dog. Small consolation. They wanted him put down. We tried to talk to them about other solutions, even trying to find him a new home. But they wanted him killed and got the Sheriff's department involved. At least they gave us a time limit and let me take Paco to my vet. They did not take him away and lock him up. But so, so sad. :'( :'( I never had to put down a healthy dog before. My vet told me this is such a familiar story with wolf hybreds. Usually the older they get the more wolf-like they revert to. They are what they are. Wonderful animals not wonderful pets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version