Author Topic: Puppy teething rings filled with water?  (Read 16701 times)

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
Puppy teething rings filled with water?
« on: August 15, 2008, 03:44:22 pm »
I am wondering if anyone makes a teething ring for puppies that is similar to a teething ring for babies?  You know the kind, that has water on the inside, so you freeze it solid, and makes a good, gnawy, cold surface for babies to gum/chew on.  Anyone know of any kind of product like that for puppies?

I am finding most teething toys for my puppy to be too hard plastic for his tender teeth/gums.  He LOVES to chew on cold stuff, we are currently tossing his Nylabone fish and nylabone bones and his Kong Wubba into the freezer for a few hours before giving them to him....but yesterday he got ahold of a small size freezer pack (meant for humans!) and absolutely took to it like crazy. (it fell out of our freezer as hubby was putting food away)

My husband thought it would be ok for him to chew on, and let him have it......when I got home and found Tucker gnawing away happily on the freezer pack, I felt horrible taking it away from him, but was too afraid he'd puncture it and swallow the liquid....

If you guys know of any similar product that is water-filled or you can fill with water, and freeze to let a puppy chew on it and it be puppy safe, please post!

Or, any other ideas for a teething 5 month old BMD?

Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy teething rings filled with water?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 04:04:22 pm »
OR you can soak in chicken bullion and freeze  ;) :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:07:49 pm »
The Chilly Bone is just what you are looking for. They have a few different shapes. You wet it like a sponge, put it in the freezer, and a few hours later, voila! You've got a puppy teething ring or bone or whatever shape you purchased.
I purchased the chilly bone at my local pet supplies plus.

I also tied a hand towel in a knot, wet it, and froze it as Julie suggested. That also worked really well.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

jesday

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:19:50 pm »
My kids really liked used water bottles, about 16oz size. I'd refill them about 3/4 full of water and freeze. Take off the lids as that is the first thing to come off and, of course, get swallowed. The reason I only fill 3/4 is because it gave them something to crunch immediately, makes a cool sound and then they work their way to the frozen part.

They still stare at the freezer hoping for a treat. I've continued to use them especially on really hot days. 8)

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 07:38:30 am »
Thanks for the great ideas, we will be trying the towel-soaked in water, and 3/4 full water bottle ideas for sure, and I'm going to search my pet stores/internet for the Chilly Bone too.  We have tried the Bouda rope (with two knots in ends) soaked in beef broth, frozen, but Tucker was not interested.  I think it was frozen too much, so will probably try it again with only a moderate amount of freezing.

Please keep posting if there are any other thoughts out there!  Thanks!
Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:35:55 pm »
Like I said in your other thread, you can use pretty much any stuffed animal frozen. Penny particularly liked the petstages cool teething stick and cool teether cause she likes toys with stringy bits the best, but really any stuffy cause soak up water and be frozen.
RIP former BPO

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 05:55:09 pm »
Thanks for all replies!

We were able to get our hands on a Chilly Bone and one of the Petstages toys (its a round ball with fabric pieces coming out of either end) and Tucker loves them both.

I agree with other posters that the Chilly Bone melts very fast, giving Tucker only about 20 minutes of chewing/gnawing on it after its been in the freezer for hours, which is disappointing. ...but he loves it so much I don't mind re-wetting and re-freezing a few times a day.

Sarah
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese

Offline walnutcreekbernese

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:33:01 pm »
I would recommend rubber toys like this kong balls... - A friend of ours gave us their rubber teat cup ("teat" use for milking cows) and it is cheaper to get from also it last longer! - It was funny to watch my bernese chewing and bounce the toy around!

Just an advice, please don't leave odd stuff (sock, shose, camera ETC) anywhere because puppy will find and chew it! -

Be great if you have a toy box full of toys and encourage the pup to get their toy out of the box so in the future, the pup will knows where the toys are. - My Bernese "Autumn" always pick out a toy and carry it in her mouth, favourite toy are squeak soft toy duck!! - She LOVE it!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 07:43:14 pm »
That freezer pack sounds perfect.  Why didn't I think of that?   As a teething pup, Grace liked to eat mail, shoes, table legs, and carpet.  I got the impression she liked soft toys so I got her a ton of stuffies that she quickly unstuffed and ate the fuzz inside.  She still likes soft toys but isn't so quick to unstuff them.  She also likes those braided fleece toys. 
Did your freezer pack get punctured?  I can imagine that after it thaws it would be ok.  A little frozen and flexible would be pretty puncture proof, plus it's soft on the outside.  Maybe you could keep a couple of them ready and just rotate the frozen ones and the thawed ones during the day.  Whatever saves your shoes, furniture and carpet, right?