Author Topic: NDR - -Cat behaving strangely - update  (Read 4154 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
NDR - -Cat behaving strangely - update
« on: August 17, 2008, 12:00:26 am »
So I'm in Barrie visiting my cousins, and they have a cat.  The cat has been upstairs all day (This is normally a very social cat) lying in a bed.  We just noticed a few hours ago that the cat is lethargic, he is moving his head side to side uncontrollably, and his eyes are going back and forth uncontrollably .  He has no balance if we try to stand him up, and cannot seem to see if you place your hand in front of his face and move it around.  Another this is, he hasent stopped purring in almost 5 hours.  He got out last night, and seemed fine when he came in this morning, however there was a little bit of vomit outside, but my cousin didn't know what it was from at the time.  We went out for a little while tonight, and whe nwe got back the cat had fallen off the bed and had vomited on the floor, and could not manage to get himself back on the bed.  We were going to see how he is in the morning but have decided to take him to the emergency vet tonight.  My question is, what do you think could cause this??  I'm very worried about him.  His eyes are dilated all the way, and he is non responsive to any stimulus.  ??? :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:00:08 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Cat behaving strangely
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 12:05:51 am »
sounds to me like he has some sort of toxicity. Could be anything from antifreeze (the timetable is about right) to a rotten carcass. There are SO many things outside that can cause this kind of reaction. please keep us updated and let us know how things turn out at the vet. And in the future, when an animal starts showing any of these signs, particularly the neurologic ones (nystagmus in particular, the eyes darting back and forth) take them to the vet ASAP.

GOOD LUCK. my thoughts are with you, the kitty, and the family!!

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: NDR - -Cat behaving strangely
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 12:42:23 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I'll keep you updated, but it doesn't look good though.  I just went to check on him again and now he's licking at the air, his head is tilted to one side, eyes are still going, and his breathing is very fast and shallow.  Poor baby.  My cousins are taking him to the emergency vet now.  Keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer for him.  :'(

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:02:03 am »
Awwww. Poor kitty. Fingers and Paws crossed here. Let us know how the vet goes.

My cat, Oreo was once acting strangely after getting front declawed. The vet tech that gave him to us when we picked him up was holding him very oddly. Like away from his body under Oreo's arms, like, "Here, take your cat." Later on the way home we realized he smelled like something was burning. Almost like burnt rubber.....

He then started acting strangely the next day...he couldnt walk...I had to hold him up in the litter box so he could go to the bathroom...his head would tilt...and his head would just shake constantly. It was Christmas Day, and we decided to take him to the emergency vet.

They didn't know what it was....thought maybe a reaction to the anesthetic or he got into something at the vet when they weren't watching. They kept him overnight, and kept pumping fluids through him. It did start to work.....it flushed out whatever toxins were in his body.

But, he has never been the same since. When he gets excited, his head will shake. Poor guy looks like he has a mental problem. And he probably does....but he's still an awesome cat, and is soo happy (unless the dogs get in his face! ::) ;D)

In the end, I just wanted to say, it's not over yet!!! Hang in there kitty kitty :-*

P.S. We haven't been to that vet we took Oreo to since. They had absolutely no sympathy, acted like they had no idea what he might have gotten in to and pretty much didn't care....and had no explanation for the cat smelling like burnt rubber.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:59:51 am »
Puddy is fine.  :D

Well not completely fine, but he doesn't have some sort of Toxicity according to the emergency vet.  Puddy the cat has some sort of Neurological disease that should run it's course within a few weeks.  I can't remember what it's called though, maybe someone can help me out with the name.  It affects cats of any age and either really young or really old dogs.  For some reason Mio Neurolgia sounded familiar, but I think I might have made that word up.  lol  :-[.  besides it has 3 words in it.  :)

Anyways, that's what's up with the kitty at my cousins'.  They're going to keep an eye on him for the next few weeks and make sure he's getting better.  he's not allowed to be left alone in the house.  When my cousin's are home, someone HAS to be holding him, and holding his head still.  If they all have to be out and no one can care for the cat, he must be in a small cat carrier so that he can't hurt himself.

The battle isnt' over for this little guy though.  He wasn't eating or drinking still when I left to come home, so Juanita (my cousin) is going to pick up some Pedialite and canned food to help him get some nutrients.  But if he doesn't start to show improvement in a week or two, the vet said that it might not go away, and then a decision has to be made as to his quality of life.  :'(

So keep Puddy in your thoughts please, and hope he pulls through the next few weeks.  :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: NDR - -Cat behaving strangely - update
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:01:17 am »
Thank you for the update, I was wondering how the poor kitty was doing. I am definitely sending healing vibes Puddy's way.  :-*
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:49 pm »
That doesn't sound familiar, I could've sworn the 3rd word was neuro-somethingorother, but then again my memory has failed me in the past.  That's great news about your kitty though.  It means that there's hope for Puddy!  :D

I'll talk to my cousin and find out for sure later 2night, and also to see how he's doing. :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:40:47 am »
You're right it is Vestibular Disease.  And he's getting better, his eyes have stopped shaking now!  Poor Puddy is on the mend.  :-* :)

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:42:17 am »
Poor baby..glad to hear he is improving.

jesday

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 10:15:55 am »
I wonder if it is anything similar to vertigo in humans? I got out of bed one morning and found myself flat on the floor. The room was spinning, I couldn't get up. I had no sense of up or down. Very nauseous. There are tons of theories of what causes it and some medications work. But basically it just had to go away in anywhere from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months!

Hope little Puddy snaps out of it. Poor little guy, I can really feel his pain. :-*