Author Topic: Ready for a Second Dog!!Oh but he is cute?  (Read 4289 times)

List

Ready for a Second Dog!!Oh but he is cute?
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:50:18 pm »
Hi,

Well, my fiance and I have been talking for months about adding a second dog to our crew. We by chance put in an application for one dog a nearby rescue. Unfortunately, the dog we originally applied for had already found a home. But they had another dog that might be a good fit for us. He sounds perfect, 8 months, house trained, quiet, good with other animals, etc... Although we feel ready we're scared about upsetting the balance in the house as it is. But at the same time we think Boston might like a friend. So we're both going back and forth. One minute it feels like maybe 2 would be too much, but at the same time it feels like were missing a second pup to love on.

Here are the 2 pics from when he was younger. They have no idea what he's a mix of, although he's already about 100lbs.  We're meeting him this weekend! Eeeek!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Ready for a Second Dog!!Oh but he is cute?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:54:22 pm »
what a cutie!!! Looks like a  Irish wolfhound x  ????

Offline BostonsDad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Hound Dog Solutions
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:32:54 pm »
I think we should meet him and decide. We're as ready as ever for a new addition to our family. But when we see him, and we see how he plays with Boston, we'll know.

Also, I think he looks like a German Shepherd cross of some kind... look at the ears, tail and posture. Maybe with a Schnauzer or something to get that fur.
"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."
---
“. . . there was about him a suggestion of lurking ferocity, as though the Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept.” Jack London

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:12 pm »
I think he looks like a muppet!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:45:35 am »
He's adorable, perfect for cuddling! I know what you mean about the fear of upsetting the balance, I went back and forth for a long time about getting a second dog, but when I found Jenny I knew she was the one. Having two dogs is not so much harder than having one and as long as everyone gets along and the new dog's temperament, etc. fits into your family's lifestyle, than after some initial adjustment, it will be great!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:01:06 am »
Have no idea what he is a mix of, but he is very cute. The second dog thing is always a hard decision, sometimes they become friends, sometimes not. I have an 8yr old Jack Russel, Annie, and a 1yr old Newfie, Clifford. Clifford loves Annie and wants to play with her all the time. Annie growls at Clifford and wishes he would move out. It's not so bad that we can't leave them together, but Annie does get very jealous of Clifford.
That being said, if you're like me and you go to see a cute sweet dog needing a home, it will probably go home with you.
Good Luck and just give it some time to work out.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 07:59:51 am »

I ditto that he does look like the win dixie dog ! VERY cute and cuddlie he looks like a really love bug we will keep our paws crossed they get along and hope he gets a forever home with you! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

AudgePadge

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:24:14 am »
What a STUD! Handsome guy, so is Boston!

When hubs and I met, we each had our "own dog" Me- Monty, and him- Oreo...but now, I don't think I can ever live without at least 2 dogs...

and NOW I'm actually going through the transition of adding Ramses...and Yes, it is upsetting the balance a little bit, but I think with a firm command, and NEVER  ;) being a pushover...thi ngs will work out...

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:07:30 am »
That boy is a cutie!  He looks like a Giant Schnauzer/GSD mix to me but who knows.  He also kind of looks like a Belgian Laekenois or a mix.  Here is the link to dog breed info with a pic.  Whatever he is, he is going to be a handful.  And who doesn't love that!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianlaekenoisphotos2.htm
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 08:16:35 am »
he's more than cute. definitley some giant schnauzer in this boy. HOW ADORABLE. If you don't get him... I might be adding a 4th to my family :p jk jk

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 01:30:05 pm »
yup, as soon as i saw the pix, I thought, Picardy shepherd mix.  Very cute puppy pix.
Hope all goes well with the new addition.  it is always a change going from one to two.  But once the initial transition period is over, it starts going much more smoothly.
I'd love to see pix of what he looks like now.