Author Topic: Dog Sledding.  (Read 11956 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Dog Sledding.
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:55:53 am »
Has anybody here ever tried Dog Sledding?  I've been cruising through some sledding sites and it makes me want to move North and get myself a sledding team!  lol

Check out the dogs on this site - I don't know about you, but it makes me want a full lifestyle change, who needs summer time when you could be doing that!

http://www.qimmiq.ca/
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Sledding.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:00:06 am »
My friend went to Ely, MN last year and she LOVED it!
She said it's the only place where you don't need a guide with you. They give you a quick workshop (a couple of hours) and you can sled two days in a row. She is going back this year  :)
I am sure it's fun! I bought Lily a sled and can't wait to try it if we ever get snow here   :-\ ::)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:06:52 am »
I don't know if I would every want to harness up Naja for long trips like that (she's kinda lazy  ::) ;D), I think she'd rather sit in the sled then pull it  ::).  I know that she'd LOVE all the snow, and how great would it be to have all those fluffy, warm, hard working dogs to keep you company on long treks?!  HAHA, I'm already trying to figure out how to convince Mike to want to move to the NW Territories with me!  lmao

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:55:54 am »
I went dog sledding in Yellowknife last year and it was so much fun. And the dogs LOVE it. I would do it again. It was super cold (minus 35 celcius) but worth it, and they had the super duper snow suits for us  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:37:25 am »
I went dog sledding in Yellowknife last year and it was so much fun. And the dogs LOVE it. I would do it again. It was super cold (minus 35 celcius) but worth it, and they had the super duper snow suits for us  ;D

Nina

How much did that cost you?  I want to try it.  :D  Did you take your pups for the trip?  Hee Hee Hee!  I'm getting all excited!   ;D

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:48:22 am »
I MN it was $215 per person with lunch...expens ive but how often we do it, eh?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:59:59 pm »
that totally sounds like fun and I would love to hook Keiko up to harness.  She's done weight pulling before, although it's not anything the same, she looked great in harness....... ..lol.  ;D

But since I have only the one dog, I think I would have to settle for skijoring, which also looks like alot of fun.  I already rollerblade with her (although we haven't done it in awhile i need a new brake) and she's always enjoyed that.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:14:48 pm »
I have friends on another forum that do it with their dogs.  One has 3 huskies that she has rescued, she sleds with them in the winter, and they pull her on the quad in the summer.

I love Yellowknife it is a wonderful drive up there, the highway turns pink because they crushed the granite from around there to make it.  The lakes in the summer are soooo pretty, I live north enough fo me though, LOL 2 weeks of -40 a year without the wind chill is more than enough thanks  :D.

How to get him to move there???  Tell him the money is really good, although housing is really expensive as well.  Dont tell him that you have a few months a year that you can not drive in or out.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 01:42:38 pm »
wow, that site looks very cool.  Too bad it's in Canada.   ;D  ::)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:41:33 pm »
wow, that site looks very cool.  Too bad it's in Canada.   ;D  ::)

It was actually in an American Dog Fancy magazine the other day...apparent ly it's worth the trip....see Phelan and Friends Go Canoeing. Sometimes we get it right up in Canada ;)

Offline Arctic_Joe

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Alaskan Arctic Expeditions
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 04:00:12 pm »
Hey there! We can take you dogsledding!!!  We're based in Fairbanks, Alaska and we run a large team of malamutes in northen Alaska in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  Check out our website and let us know if you have any questions.  We'd be glad to accommodate anyone that wants to try dogsledding!

www.alaskanarc ticexpedition. com

Also, you can check out this short clip on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL3VzZUi-l4

-Joe & Andrea
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:07:31 pm by Arctic_Joe »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Joe & Andrea

Tonda

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 03:47:32 am »
Hey there! We can take you dogsledding!!!  We're based in Fairbanks, Alaska and we run a large team of malamutes in northen Alaska in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  Check out our website and let us know if you have any questions.  We'd be glad to accommodate anyone that wants to try dogsledding!

This is now on my to do list!

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 05:55:41 am »
Wow! That is waaay cool!!

Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

Offline Arctic_Joe

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 07:05:42 am »
That looks like so much fun! What is the usual amount of time for a trip?

Hey!  Up in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge the trips run 12, 15, or 21 days.  We also run trips out of Fairbanks and those are very flexable...day trips, overnight, or multi-day.  You can customize the number of days.  We do the Fairbanks trips from when the snow flies (early Nov) until the end of January.  Then we go up north for the ANWR expeditions from February until mid-May.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Joe & Andrea

Offline Arctic_Joe

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 09:40:17 am »
Here's a few photos of some of the dogs in the team.  One is a line-up of wheel dogs (the really tough guys and gals) and the other is of three siblings, Sally, Nikko, and Farmer.  They're sitting so patiently waiting to go!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:41:12 am by Arctic_Joe »
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Joe & Andrea